Manga Book Club discussion

Comedy > Ranma 1/2

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Sep 27, 2012 11:21PM) (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
Ranma ½, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi

It's our BOM for Oct 2012!

message 2: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

This series was one of my first mangas, and sadly one I have never completed. But it still holds many happy memories for me, so that's all that counts.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 45 comments I remember reading some of the volumes years ago. Same as you, it holds good memories. It will be fun to revisit this month.

message 4: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (last edited Oct 13, 2012 09:28PM) (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) | 322 comments Mod
About 7ish years ago, a friend of mine in college recommended Ranma to me. I don't remember much of what he said to me other than "It's about a boy who turns into a girl when he's submerged in water" and I thought "Well that sounds fun! I should check it out!" And I had every intention to and I never got around to it. Well, thanks to the BOM, I finally did! And boy was I sure glad I did.

Ranma 1/2 is HYSTERICAL! I've read the first five volumes so far (waiting for the next five to come in at the library) and even though the storylines are all the same (a martial *insert word here* competition/ceremony/race/etc), Takahashi-sensei manages to keep them all entertaining and hilarious.

The characters and their relationships with each other are the best. But my favorite character is by far Shampoo's great-grandmother. She is so funny!

I'm not a fool to know that in the (very long) end, Ranma and Akane will be together, but I have to say, I'm not a supporter of this relationship. I'd rather see Ranma and Shampoo together and Akane and Ryoga.

So far, I'm really loving this series, though I do worry that it'll get very redundant very fast seeing as it is such a long series (I mean, the storylines are already redundant in the first 5 volumes but the humor is keeping it fun for me). I hope I continue loving each volume and that by the 13th or 14th volume I'm not going "Sigh... okay when is something fun going to happen" (which happened to me as I continued to read Kimi ni Todoke :-( And that made me sad because I really loved the series in the beginning but then nothing was really happening and the volumes just kept going and going. Darn)

Anyway, I'm really excited to be reading this series (even though its so long and that makes me nearly cry XD haha!) And so far, it's really great!

message 5: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I read about half-way through this one because that was all that was out when I had read it. I do know how the last page ends, because I read that one at the store years later. All I can say that this is Takahashi we are talking about. Repeated storylines, and people may or may not be together are expected of her. She seems to put people together, but not really together, you know? Anyway- I hope you do enjoy it! Or maybe skip to the end, read the last page, misunderstand the ending, and have others tell you what an idiot you are for not knowing the real ending. Haha

message 6: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

But I'm really glad the BOM worked out for you! I'm always tickled a little when people enjoy the books, or pick up something that they had been thinking about for a while

message 7: by Miss Ryoko, Supreme Overlord ;) (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) | 322 comments Mod
Haha well that's happened nearly this whole year because a lot of the manga I've read this year was because of the BOM so thanks for that!!

message 8: by Evin (new)

Evin Rogers | 4 comments Sadly this book was a struggle for me to read through. It was cute, but was lacking for me. The premise was novel, but got old after the first volume. The love triangles where ok. And the best character was Ranmas father, but only because a panda holding a sign is very cute and his acceptance of his curse is a funny counter point to Ranmas issues with his curse.