Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Historical Fiction In Diary Format

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (vintagegoodness) | 8 comments Hi all, I'm looking to read historical fiction novels that are written in a diary format. Not actual, real diaries, but novels, hope that makes sense... I've found and read a few, and enjoyed them very much:

These Is My Words

The Diary of Mattie Spenser

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

Here's hoping there are some others I can add to my to-read list, thanks! :)
Mitzi

message 2: by Christy B (new)

Christy B (runaway84) Désirée

And the Josephine trilogy by Sandra Gulland.

message 3: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3105 comments Exit the Actress by Priya Parmar- it has diary entries, as well as pamphlets, letters, invitations, etc.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra O'Briant (SandraRamosOBriant_) | 59 comments *clears throat* In "The Sandoval Sisters' Secret of Old Blood" ancient diaries play a pivotal role. There are excerpts which the sisters refer to as moral, or in some cases immoral, guides to living their lives.

message 8: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (vintagegoodness) | 8 comments Thanks everyone!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 731 comments A Vision of Light is a medieval diary of sorts - a woman who is dictating her memoirs to a copyist, so you have most of the book as her remembrances, but you also have the frame where you see her and the copyist in their current lives. A wonderful read.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 590 comments Marina wrote: "The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers"

From what I recall, I wouldn't say this is diary format - it's more what it says, like an autobiography or memoir. When I think of diary, I think of entries that tell the tale sort of as it happens - at the end of the day or week, telling what just happened that day/week. An autobiography or memoir (even as a novel) is more like the character telling their life story as the past, not as it's happening.

I don't think these have been mentioned:

The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette
The Secret Diary of a Princess: a novel of Marie Antoinette

message 11: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (vintagegoodness) | 8 comments Marina, yeah memoir is a little different than what I was looking for, but it still relates I guess, as do the books that are written in letter format - I think they refer to it as epistolary fiction? The diary ones are what I am most interested in but the others sound good too! :)

message 12: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (vintagegoodness) | 8 comments I found a list! Gotta love Goodreads, it always comes through :) http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/51...

message 13: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 615 comments Yes, books written as diaries are epistolary novels.

message 14: by Liza (new)

Liza Perrat (httpwwwgoodreadscomLizaPerrat) Mitzi wrote: "Hi all, I'm looking to read historical fiction novels that are written in a diary format. Not actual, real diaries, but novels, hope that makes sense... I've found and read a few, and enjoyed them ..."

One Thousand White Women is one of my favourite novels.

message 15: by Liza (new)

Liza Perrat (httpwwwgoodreadscomLizaPerrat) Kate wrote: "A Vision of Light is a medieval diary of sorts - a woman who is dictating her memoirs to a copyist, so you have most of the book as her remembrances, but you also have the frame where you see her a..."

Thanks so much for recommending this, Kate. My WIP is set in 14th century and covers many of the themes in this novel. I've just bought it, and can't wait to get stuck into it! Cheers.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary (Mary_Mac) I was going to suggest The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn, but I see it's on the list. goodreads has a list for everything! ;)

message 17: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (Nancyk18) | 615 comments Liza wrote: "Mitzi wrote: "Hi all, I'm looking to read historical fiction novels that are written in a diary format. Not actual, real diaries, but novels, hope that makes sense... I've found and read a few, and..."

For a while, when I read One Thousand White Women, I thought it was a true story.

message 18: by Liza (new)

Liza Perrat (httpwwwgoodreadscomLizaPerrat) Nancy wrote: "Liza wrote: "Mitzi wrote: "Hi all, I'm looking to read historical fiction novels that are written in a diary format. Not actual, real diaries, but novels, hope that makes sense... I've found and re..."

Ha, so did I, Nancy! Then when I found out it truly was fiction, I just kept telling myself it WAS a true story!

message 19: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (ingerella) One of my favorites is The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B.. This is a wonderful trilogy and was the first historical fiction I had ever read. Now it's almost the only genre I read!!