Debate discussion

Religion > Catholicism

Comments Showing 1-50 of 164 (164 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by John (new)

John (jayrindone1412gmailcom) | 157 comments Is anyone here a catholic??????

message 2: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Im not, but my mother was raised Catholic.

message 3: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) same here. i wasnt baptized or anything and i dont go to church.

message 4: by John (new)

John (jayrindone1412gmailcom) | 157 comments im catholic, i go to church evry sunday and was baptized

message 5: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments same here, church every sunday, baptized :D

message 6: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 7 comments I am baptised a catholic however there are some issues i have previously debated about with friends about my religion.

Statement: 'You should be baptised'

View 1: Yes, It clears origional sin
View 2: No, baptism gives us a 'gaurenteed' place in heaven supposedly. If our God is the one and only true God then people will get to heaven just by being a good person not by recieving a sacrament. If you have done good in your life but haven't been baptised you can't just not get into heaven!

message 7: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) wait what? so what do you agree with?

message 8: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments monolith wrote: "same here, church every sunday, baptized :D"

Hey monolith why dont u ever debate god with us? Im one of those fun immoral raging atheists, and we can debate stuff!!!!!

xD
xD

message 9: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 7 comments Although i am cathlic i am with view 2.

message 10: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 7 comments Although i am cathlic i am with view 2.

message 11: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments Chandani wrote: "monolith wrote: "same here, church every sunday, baptized :D"

Hey monolith why dont u ever debate god with us? Im one of those fun immoral raging atheists, and we can debate stuff!!!!!

xD
xD"

haha, yyyeeeahhh.. i'm not good at serious debates.... and i'd probly kenna you all anywayz :P
hahahaha....

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm Catholic. Baptised, First Communioned, Church most every Sunday, the works. Whooooo CAtholics!

message 13: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) ok....

message 14: by John (new)

John (jayrindone1412gmailcom) | 157 comments Liz wrote: "I'm Catholic. Baptised, First Communioned, Church most every Sunday, the works. Whooooo CAtholics!"

YAY ;)

message 15: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments also yay!!

message 16: by John (new)

John (jayrindone1412gmailcom) | 157 comments ;)

message 17: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments monolith wrote: "Chandani wrote: "monolith wrote: "same here, church every sunday, baptized :D"

Hey monolith why dont u ever debate god with us? Im one of those fun immoral raging atheists, and we can debate st..."

Haha im gunna start using that "God ur such a kenna!" Lol

But whats the difference between catholic and regular christian?

message 18: by Liz (last edited Feb 12, 2009 02:09PM) (new)

Liz there is a huge difference actually.
christianity=catholic,protestant
catholic=roman catholic
protestant=episcopal,lutheran,presbyterian,etc.

they are two totally different branches of christianity and believe many different things, though share the belief that jesus is the son of god. for example, catholics believe that when one takes the blessed eucharist at communion, it is the body and blood of jesus christ. protestants don't. you will also find that most catholic churches are more traditional and strict than many protestant religions. in many protestant religions, females can be pastors, but catholicism is more traditional in the aspect that they still believe only men can be priests. catholics are the only denomination that honor the pope as the head of the church (other than god of course) and the pope is the descision maker and holy being of the catholic church.

John and Monolith, anything major I left out?

message 19: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments oooooooohhhhhhh

message 20: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments think ya pretty much covered it :D

message 21: by Chandani (last edited Feb 16, 2009 11:09PM) (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Thats cool. Whats a baptist? Its not really relevant but i was jw.

message 22: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments i used to be catholic until i saw the light thanks to lauren :)

(so when you tell her that it is useless trying to convert people and stuff you are wrong [though i did have my doubts before i even got on here :)]

message 23: by Liz (new)

Liz baptist is another branch under protestant.

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz Liz wrote: "i used to be catholic until i saw the light thanks to lauren :)

(so when you tell her that it is useless trying to convert people and stuff you are wrong [though i did have my doubts before i eve..."

Dude, so you are going to base your faith on things you've been hearing from kids and teens in an internet chat room-group thing? I mean, thats all cool, of course, and I respect that, just saying that there are more reliable resources...

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
<333

It's not my problem if she figured out what I try to tell everyone makes sense. Besides, I just opened her up to different things. She went after them. She already had doubt.

Besides, we are hardly a bunch of stupid teenagers.

btw-Drinking blood, drawing crowds, eating flesh. Catholic Mass or Zombie attack? Hm? X)

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments i was in deep doubt, and i was confused.

message 27: by Mikaela (new)

Mikaela (loverdogmish) Hahahahaha..... My mom was raised as a major catholic in downtown Chicago with like latin sermons and all and I was baptized but we don't go to church and I'm agnostic

message 28: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments my great grandparents went to church every morning lol :)

message 29: by Lauren (new)

I disagree. Evangelicals.

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz Davis wrote: "The most fucked denomination of a very fucked religion. "

That is unbelievably offensive. CHANDANI!!! Can Davis have his first strike, please?

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Hold the phone.

BEFORE we punish ANYONE for ANYTHING, we have to be sure that they knew there was a rule against what they were doing. There have been some recent changes to this group, and not everyone is on board yet. Now, we will kindly direct Davis to the new rule list, and Chan and Jayda can make sure he knows the new rules.

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz I don't think any excuses need to be made in Davis's favor. He certainly knew the group rules from the start and violated them. They are still technically the same, but they are now enforced (as they rightfully should be). But fine.

Davis, we recommend you take a look at the new rules list Chandani made. We have a whole new system you might not be aware of!

message 33: by Lauren (new)

I know ignorance is a shaky defense, but if we got rid of everyone who is offensives, basically there would be no one left. :)

message 34: by Liz (new)

Liz Well that ought to change.

message 35: by ♫ Tina ♫ (new)

♫ Tina ♫ | 65 comments John wrote: "Is anyone here a catholic??????"

Yepp!

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Liz, if everyone here was like you, it wouldn't be a debate group anymore. It would be a happy rainbow peace group. No one came here for peace and love, we came here for argue. Arguing involves conflict. Feelings get hurt. If people can't take it, they leave.

message 37: by ♫ Tina ♫ (new)

♫ Tina ♫ | 65 comments Sorry to jump in. Sorry Liz, but debating is when you are trying to prove a point, not trying to make peace aand love like Lauren said.

message 38: by Koe (new)

Koe | 222 comments If I find Liz's attempt at censorship unbelievable offensive can she get a strike too?

message 39: by Lauren (last edited Jun 21, 2009 12:11PM) (new)

If I find peace offensive, can we ban that?

I'm only half-joking.

message 40: by ♫ Tina ♫ (new)

♫ Tina ♫ | 65 comments Lauren wrote: "If I find peace offensive, can we ban that?

I'm only half-joking. "

Haha

message 41: by Liz (new)

Liz Koe wrote: "If I find Liz's attempt at censorship unbelievable offensive can she get a strike too?"

Fine. I can even leave, if you guys want. Its not that I want us to sit in a circle and be happy together, but I think it is definitely possible to debate respectfully, where curse words are scarce and we all are polite yet still explore many topics. But you know, whatever. You guys clearly don't want that.

message 42: by Koe (new)

Koe | 222 comments Look Liz you just need to understand the Greater Internet Fuckwad theory. And then learn to stop worring and love the bomb.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/200...

message 43: by Lauren (new)

XDD

I'm not sure this applies to me. I'm like this in real life.

message 44: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Davis, no swearing please. You have your first strike, though i know full well that you dont care.

Be as offensive as you want, just be civil, and dont swear in topics that you are not allowed to swear in. Those are the rules, and if your to much of a baby to deal with it, then go. Its not my loss, or anyone else's. BYE!

message 45: by Liz (new)

Liz Ok

message 46: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments "Its not my loss, or anyone else's."

Quite the contrary my friend.

You happy Liz? Your flower-power totalitarian crusade against humanity and vulgarity (they are one and the same) are beginning to take hold. You sicken, you tyrannical absolutist.

message 47: by Liz (new)

Liz Flllloooowweeerrrr powerrrrr!

message 48: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I cannot wait for the day when life greets you at the front door. You will reap what you sow from disturbing the sanctity of the profane.

message 49: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Davis, i dont think any of us have anything against life. I swear, i laugh, i play and i lve my life, but in this group, i'm not swearing! Because thats the rule. And its final.

message 50: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments And why is it the rule? Because a few pissy little ingrates got offended?

« previous 1 3 4