Baking and Books discussion

General > Help! Too many pears...

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jute (new)

Jute | 170 comments Mod
Anyone have some good recipes for Pears? I have two bags of them I need to use. I did just make Pear Walnut Muffins. After they come out of the oven and I see if they are any good, I'll post the recipe. But I need some more suggestions!

message 2: by Marsha (last edited Sep 29, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 32 comments Jute wrote: "Anyone have some good recipes for Pears? I have two bags of them I need to use. I did just make Pear Walnut Muffins. After they come out of the oven and I see if they are any good, I'll post the..."

Let's start with a really easy one.

1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
¼ c. finely chopped mixed candied fruit
3 tbsp. milk
8 canned peach halves, drained
Lettuce
1 16-oz. can pear slices, drained, chilled (or pare and slice your pears until you have 2 cups)

1. Combine cream cheese, candied fruit and milk, mixing until well blended.
2. Fill peaches with cream cheese mixture; chill.
3. For each serving, arrange peach on lettuce-covered salad plate.
4. Surround with pears.

This one is a favorite of mine because it's so quick and simple.

Caramelized Pears (makes 4 servings) Prep time: 20 minutes/Total time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

4 red Bartlett pears, halved lengthwise and cored
⅓ c. granulated sugar
½ c. water

1. Place sugar on a plate.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Press one side of each halved pear in sugar.
4. Place cut side down in skillet (fit will be snug).
5. Cook until beginning to brown, 7-8 minutes.
6. Add water.
7. Cover; simmer until pears are tender, 5-10 minutes (depending on ripeness), adding more water if sugar begins to burn.
8. Remove pears from skillet.
9. If liquid in pan is thin, simmer until thickened to a saucelike consistency. If it is thick, add more water.
10. Serve sauce over pears.

Notes: A melon baller removes cores easily, but a small spoon works too. Pressing the cut sides of pears in sugar before cooking helps them caramelize.

Baked Pear and Banana with Date Sauce and Walnuts (makes 2 servings) – Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Ingredients:

1 ripe pear, cored and quartered
1 ripe banana, halved crosswise, then lengthwise
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
½ c. pitted dates (6 large or 12 small)
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
¼ sp. ground cinnamon
1 oz. walnut halves (¼ c.), toasted
¼ c. plain lowfat yogurt

1. Put pear wedges in an 8-inch baking dish.
2. Cover with foil.
3. Bake until beginning to soften, about 20 minutes.
4. Add banana; dot with butter.
5. Bake, uncovered, until fruit is softened and pale golden, 20-25 minutes more.
6. Process dates, lemon juice and cinnamon in a blender until dates are coarsely chopped.
7. Transfer to a saucepan.
8. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
9. Cook until thickened, 3-5 minutes.
10. Serve immediately or refrigerate, airtight, up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
11. To serve, divide fruit between 2 plates.
12. Drizzle with date sauce.
13. Sprinkle with walnuts.
14. Top each with 2 tablespoons yogurt.

Blak Perys (Pears with Carob Cream) – Taken from Fabulous Feasts, Medieval Cookery and Ceremony, ch. “Fruit and Flower Desserts” by Madeleine Pelner Cosman

Ingredients:

6 fresh pears, hard but edible
1 fresh lemon, juice of
2 heaping tbsp. carob powder (avail. from any health-food or gourmet shop)
2 tbsp. sugar or honey
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. heavy whipping cream

1. Cut the pears in half longitudinally, keeping the skin on, and carefully scoop out the core area utilizing either a sharp spoon or grapefruit knife.
2. Generously coat each pear-half with lemon juice.
3. Either allow the pears to remain raw or bake pears for 7-10 minutes in 350 oven and then cool.
4. Beat the carob powder, sugar and salt with the cream until the mixture either peaks or depending upon the type of carob powder you use, has the thick consistency of chocolate mousse.
5. Spoon or pipe the carob cream into the craters of each pear-half with a pastry tube.
6. Chill in refrigerator for at least ½ hour before serving.

Blue Cheese-Almond Pears (makes 12 servings; serving size: 1 pear half and about 1½ tablespoons cream cheese mixture)

Ingredients:

1 (8-oz.) block fat-free cream cheese, softened
¼ c. fat-free sour cream
¼ c. (1 oz.) crumbled blue cheese
1 tbsp. honey
6 firm ripe pears
¼ c. lemon juice
¼ c. chopped almonds, toasted

1. Beat cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until creamy.
2. Add sour cream, blue cheese and honey, beating until smooth.
3. Core pears.
4. Cut each pear in half lengthwise.
5. Brush cut sides of pears with lemon juice.
6. Spoon blue cheese mixture evenly onto each pear half.
7. Top evenly with almonds.

Note: If you don't have blue cheese, try some other soft, crumbly slightly acidic cheese, like goat cheese or feta.

I hope this helps!

message 3: by Jute (last edited Sep 30, 2012 05:29PM) (new)

Jute | 170 comments Mod
Oh thank you so much!

I don't know if any of you follow Serious Eats Baking Challenge but I made this just this weekend.

I changed it a bit and used dried cherries rather than the cranberries.

message 4: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (QueenBoadicea) | 32 comments Jute wrote: "Oh thank you so much!

I don't know if any of you follow Serious Eats Baking Challenge but I made this just this weekend.

I changed it a bit and used dried cherries rather than the cranberries."

You're welcome. By the way, how did the muffins taste?

message 5: by Jute (new)

Jute | 170 comments Mod
Since I bake almost every day I have to give away most of what I make and one of my favorite groups to give to is my Veterinarian's office. They are really good about giving me honest feedback..

They told me these were among their favorites of what I'd given them so far. There was some division on the caramel addition. Some liked it, but some thought it didn't add anything worth the stickiness. My husband has put them on his "I want these again" list. So all in all I thought they were a very good success.

message 6: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 13 comments They must love to see you and your pet coming!

We usually have this pie at Thanksgiving. You can use your favorite piecrust recipe:

Cranberry Pear Pie

2 - 9" deep dish pie crusts, unbaked
1 c sugar
1/4 c water
4 c thinly sliced, peeled, and cored pears
2 c cranberries
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c cold water
1 beaten egg white
1 tbsp water
coarse sugar

1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add pears and cranberries. Return to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer fruit mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until cranberries pop.
2. Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Stir into fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from heat.
3. Spoon filling into one pie crust. Cover with remaining pie crust and seal edges. Cut vents into the top with a sharp knife.
4. Combine egg white and 1 tbsp water. Brush onto pastry and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cover edges of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.
5. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 30-35 minutes more until top is golden. Cool and serve warm or at room temperature.

message 7: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 13 comments Well, this looks awesome:

http://www.marthastewart.com/318906/c...

message 8: by Jute (new)

Jute | 170 comments Mod
Thanks for the awesome suggestions!