Ask Erica Spindler discussion

On Being a Writer

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 1 comments Erica,
Did you always know that you wanted to be a writer? What was the hardest part about "breaking in" and getting published? Who have always been your biggest supporters in terms of your career....teachers, family, friends, spouse? Thanks, Barb

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Spindler | 7 comments Mod
Hey Barb! Nope, I didn't always know--though I always loved to read. I planned on being an artist, a painter; it's what I trained for. But the minute I decided I wanted to try writing a novel and actually put pen to paper, I was hooked! Never looked back. My biggest supporter has always been my husband. Later, as I made 'writing" friends, they became a lifeline during the ups and downs of writing.

As for "breaking in" the hardest thing was--and is--getting an editor to take a chance on you. And keeping optimistic in the face of rejections. Don't give up if it's your dream! Keeping learning and keep writing!

Thanks for the great question!

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie | 1 comments What would you say is the hardest part of writing a book? Are any of your characters like you or based off of someone you know?

message 4: by Erica (new)

Hi Angie! The hardest thing about writing a book is doing it. LOL. Sounds like double-talk, but I'm being real here. Getting started, facing that blank page, keeping it fresh, day after day. That said, when it's working, it's amazing! I wouldn't choose to do anything else.

My characters aren't like me but are imbued with my world view; more than being based on someone I know they are creations of what I've observed of people and human nature. Thanks for the great question!

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Hemingway | 1 comments Hi Erica. I have two questions.

1) Like Barbara, I would also like to know what are some ways to "making it big" in the writing field. What genre is popular, how to get published by big name publishing houses, etc..?

2) Are there any ways to overcome writer's block?

Thanks for reading my questions and have a great day!

Chris Hemingway

message 6: by Erica (new)

Hi Chris! The first thing you need to do to make it big in the writing field is to write a really good book. That's job #1 and essential. Write what you love to read and authentically, from your heart and soul. Do that again and again.

As far as I know, it's the only thing you can control. Chasing what's "hot" never works. By the time you jump on the bandwagon, the craze is over. Or it's a genre you're not that crazy about--and that shows. Some authors do seem to "catch lightning in a bottle." They write the Right book at the Right time and it takes off. It's sort of like buying the ticket that wins the powerball--you're in the game, but you can't control the outcome.

I've only had temporary writer's block. For that, I'll go to the movies, shop, call a friend or read. When I go back to the story, that little bit of "let go" time does the trick, and I'm back on track.

Thanks for the questions, Chris! Good luck with your writing.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 2 comments How many books have you written?

message 8: by Erica (new)

Christine wrote: "How many books have you written?"

Hey Christine, I've written 30 novels (13 of them my early romances) and 3 shorts. Thanks for asking!

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie bailey (auntsally74) | 1 comments right I've read red, fortune and wishing moon. are you releasing any more early romance? you have me addicted!! lol

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 2 comments Your welcome and I can't wait to read all of your books

message 11: by Erica (new)

Wow, Debbie--I don't know how missed this--but yes, more on the way! But first, finish my new novel, FINDING TRUE.