Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Psychics' Business Booming (Sherrie, Kevin and Larry spin and get lost at B&N)

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayofl...

Hm...interesting growth industry...

Now, beyond the storefront psychics, do you think it's possible to perceive the future? What's the nature of time? Can one transcend individual moments and glimpse into what we call "the future"?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments What are you asking, RA? If our spirits can unbind themselves from our mortal, time-trapped bodies and see beyond the now?
Into The Future, where we will live the REST OF OUR LIVES?

No, but I think we can make some good guesses.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Time, or the concept of it we hold in our minds, is an illusion. All that really exists is right now. Oh, I have no idea what I'm saying here. It's probably claptrap -- but it may be an eternal truth just the same. You be the judge.

I have had experiences in my life (like maybe twice) when I've had dreams -- very clear dreams that I remembered very well -- that gave me an image of something that was about to happen to me in connection with seeing someone I hadn't been expecting to see -- first in the dream, then that person shows up in person soon thereafter.

I often wonder though, if I have these predictive dreams more often, but I don't remember them.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Hmmm. A psychic once told me I had psychic powers. Maybe I should put up a shingle? I'll give you all a 10% discount. Look into my crystal ball.

*runs off to dust off my Tarot cards*

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Lori, I knew you were going to say that.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh, competition! Grrrrrr.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments [image error]

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i think i will start a web site that advertises:

Psychotic Readings - $2/minute

surely my lunatic rants are worth something

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments And I'm sure you have no delusions about that.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments no, i did my own reading first and confirmed it :)

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments That's perfectly legitimate.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

It amazes me that this profession would take off, when so many people do not have any extra money to spend. A sobering thought is that they truly believe in this. I guess I have some pondering to do.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i wonder how the lottery machine is doing in this economy. i really think that people begin to look at any way possible to get ahead easily and resort to actually cutting back on expenses and extra expenditures last. around where i live the restaurant biz seems to be booming. people are losing their houses and cars but have cell phones, cable TV and high speed internet

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The restaurant biz here is slowing, but not drastically it appears. I don't know how the lottery is doing, but you are right, they seem to gravitate to the easiest way to get ahead.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments The dummy tax (lottery) is recession resistant.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments and the crane game at walmart keeps eating up those quarters

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Oh yeah. Gotta love that.

message 18: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments I keep reading this thread title as Physics Business Booming, which is a bit less depressing than psychics.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
A relatively well known and long-establish psychic in my town went bankrupt a while ago. Her house, an old gas station painted garishly pink, located on a very well-traversed corner was seized by the bank and she abruptly went away.
I like to say to Sweeter when I see the dilapidated structure, still in bank limbo, languishing on the corner: "Wonder if Psychic Kay saw that coming."

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments probably did like a month before when she held an envelope from the bank that said FORECLOSURE in red letters to her forehead and said "i see me relocating soon"

message 21: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I think that this makes a lot of sense, actually (holding the envelope up to my forehead, of course). There is so much that is unforeseen and uncertain right now in our world, so much to be afraid of - home foreclosures, loss of jobs, potential of world war, epidemic illnesses, cataclismic events everywhere - and people feel helpless. Not to mention that many societies have been conditioned to look for the worst and feel fear at every corner (can you say "Duck & Cover"?). People are beginning to search for some kind of certainty in their lives where there is none. Hence, if someone can 'see the future' and tell them how to get through it, they'll seek them out.

On the other hand, I firmly believe in the ability to not just see the future but to affect your own future by conscious belief. I think we all have the latent ability to tap into that universal field which holds time & space as equals, and by our own intentions can affect the outcome. Most people don't know how to do this because they were raised in the sheeple mentality, and now they are looking for someone to follow and tell them it will be all right. In reality, they should be trying to wake up and be that person they wish follow into the future. I know this all sounds like bull, but I've seen & experienced it.

Just my two cents in the cosmic reality.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i love the second to last line sherrie. after a very astute and intellectual theory you say "i know this all sounds like bull..." that makes you sound very intelligent while being very real. plus it made me laugh.

and i sorta believe in self fulfilling prophecy

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Sherrie -- would you be my leader? After Forrest Gump decided to stop running and go home I've been kind of drifting aimlessly.

message 24: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments LOL Sure, why the heck not? I've been lacking in followers lately. ;)

message 25: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Kevin, that's always my cavet: It's probably all bulls@*t, but who cares?

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Kevin - if you believe in self-fulfilling prophecy it will probably turn out to be true.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments ok, my moment to be deep. it is all about hope. people can be in identical predicaments but the one that has hope can take the same circumstances and resources and climb out and the one that sees only the end will succumb to that fate. i just returned from rural india and faces in the same slums are different. it is in their eyes. hope or defeat

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Yup.

message 29: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments It comes down to the belief in the individual. If you can see the outcome with hope it actually affects the outcome, provides a way to move forward into a different future. If you only see despair, or similar negative view, then it stifles the growth of the future and there is no movement forward. The collective belief of a group has that much more of an impact.

I know I'm getting all geeky about this, but I've been reading about quantum physics and the amazing affect that our belief & emotion have on the possibilities of the future. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Isn't that the principle behind the probability drive in Hicthhiker's Guide? Yes I think it is.

message 31: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Ooh, ooh, OOH! I knew that was the Guide to Everything! Awesome... okay Larry, now I have to follow you.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Oh crap. Now we're both lost.

message 33: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Or maybe just chasing each other in circles.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Yeah that's it. Uh huh.

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i can't even find you guys

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments We're right over here. :::waves hands in the air:::

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments ok, yeah, i see you. in the quantum physics section. i am over at the other bookshelf looking at pictures in a Far Side book

message 38: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Quantum physics, Far Side... same thing. :D

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments oh good. that makes me like vern einstein

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Vern was a good man.

message 41: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Um, is that Albert's brother? (pardon me, my ignorance is showing)

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments (beats me)

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
But you called him a "good man," man! Whassup wit dat?

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I was trying to appear sophisticated and well-read. I guess the truth is out now.

message 45: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments and i was flat out making stuff up

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments blind leading the blind

message 47: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Just to prove the point of this thread:

Photobucket

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.