Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Banner Ads on Book Pages

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) OK, I know GR has to get paid. We've accepted, perhaps begrudgingly, banner ads on the home page. Otis promised us they would last only 24 hours, so we know they'll end and so do the best we can.

BUT, BUT, BUT

I'm really tired of the same banner ad on the book pages. The one that sort of looks like a coca-coca logo. It's really annoying. I have no intention of ever reading this book, I won't even read the description. And I really really look forward to this ad campaign ending and I hope Otis decides that banner ads on book pages are totally inappropriate.

message 2: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 26, 2012 07:28PM) (new)

Manybooks | 4237 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "OK, I know GR has to get paid. We've accepted, perhaps begrudgingly, banner ads on the home page. Otis promised us they would last only 24 hours, so we know they'll end and so do the best we can.

..."

Hear, hear (extremely annoying). And ANY BOOK featured as a banner ad, I will make sure NOT to read (even if I might be interested).

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) | 335 comments Once again, I'll flail around and ask that they allow the option (not enforcement) of paid accounts. I'm very willing to give GR money because I adore the site so much.

I understand it would take a lot of work, but I assume the profits would make it worthwhile.

message 4: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 978 comments I know a lot, if not most, of the members are against paid membership, but I for one would gladly stump up for paid membership. I wish they at least gave the ability to donate, as I use ad-block and feel bad about the revenue they are loosing from me. (not bad enough to stop using it though - I HATE ads.)

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 220 comments I would gladly pay for membership if that meant less over capacity messages and having basic functions that work ALL the time including when updates are done (e.g. notifications, member history, etc.).

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 4237 comments The problem is not the ads itself, it is the fact that they are right on top, and more often than not, there is a second ad for the book on the side (I don't mid the side ads all that much, but on top, they are incredibly distracting). I don't think I like the idea of a paid site (so if keeping a free site means banner ads, I would grudgingly put up with it, although I might still grumble on occasion).

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 2066 comments Personally the ads don't really bother me, rarely notice them.

Lavoie Lianne (The Towering Pile) (liannelavoie) | 171 comments I would be very strongly against paid premium memberships. Those always result in the people with the free memberships getting screwed over.

If people wanted to pay just to not see ads, I guess that would be alright, but I'd be worried about a slippery slope there.

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 28, 2012 09:14AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I don't mind the ads on the books pages, I rarely notice them as Erin says in Post #7. The banner ads, however, seem vile. The first thing I want to see on the book page is the book I've clicked to see.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 465 comments You get banner ads on book pages? The only place I've noticed them is on my home page.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Julie wrote: "You get banner ads on book pages? The only place I've noticed them is on my home page."

that one has been on every single book page for the last week, and then it's been on the home page for a couple of days.

message 12: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Come to Europe! ;-) I haven't seen any banner ads recently.

I find them intensely irritating. When they do appear I turn ad block back on for a few days until they go. All the other ads are bearable and I mostly tune them out.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Hayes wrote: "Come to Europe! ;-) I haven't seen any banner ads recently.

I find them intensely irritating. When they do appear I turn ad block back on for a few days until they go. All the other ads are bear..."

I'm surprised this one isn't being seen in Europe - it's by a UK author.

message 14: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) It's probably for the US publication of the book, which is often on a different schedule.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Hayes wrote: "It's probably for the US publication of the book, which is often on a different schedule."

Harry Potter author. Not going to pick it up.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 465 comments That's really weird. I don't see that banner ad on any book pages. I just checked a bunch. It shows up on my home page but not every time.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't penalize the authors; they didn't choose the ad type or placement. I use Adblock, but would rather pay GR for an ad-free membership.

message 18: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 28, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Osho wrote: "I wouldn't penalize the authors; they didn't choose the ad type or placement. I use Adblock, but would rather pay GR for an ad-free membership."

??? I'm not interested in the book, for a variety of reasons. How is that penalizing an author? And, if I might say so, if you block all of the ads, how is that not penalizing an author who is trying to get you to notice a book?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I misunderstood your intention behind "Harry Potter author. Not going to pick it up." Which suggested to me that you weren't going to read it because it was in an ad.