Trans-Atlantic Bibliophiles discussion

Cheaper By the Dozen > Cheaper By the Dozen

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianders1) | 122 comments Mod
I will be bringing this book to you on Feb. 23. If you already own a copy and don't need a library one, let me know!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 15 comments count me in for a copy. It seems like you are getting stuck with all the work. Can I help you out somehow? Thanks again for putting this together.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue | 12 comments I have never read this book. I would love to get a copy. Thanks!

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 67 comments If you haven't read the book yet, please wait to read my comments. I finished it a couple days ago (I made sure to get it early so I'd be able to finish it when you all do) and I would like to write my comments before I forget.

I give this 3 out of 5; it has its goods and bads. The authors clearly adored their parents, especially their father, and it shows. But what wierd parents: the family was raised as a test of time motion concepts. The mother seemed OK, but it also seemed she was only ever popping out babies and taking care of them; once they got older, they were handed off to the study. And lucky them to have a staff to help - sure would have made life much easier!!

I might have liked to be a neighbour; they would have been interesting and quite different for the 1910s and 20s. I wouldn't have wanted to be a kid. The parents seemed to have a good relationship. But it seems to me a strange way to raise children; loved but with what an odd focus.

I also didn't know (maybe it's my just copy) what happened to the rest of the kids; the authors are numbers 2 and 4, I think. Did the rest go to college, get good jobs... College for women then was pretty impressive, so the father was quite ahead of himself there. It looks like there is a sequel (they wrote a couple more books, I think); maybe the answer is in one of those.

I did like the style - it was readable and divided up nicely - by subjects, or events, not chronologically, and I like that.

I'll be very interested to knwo what you all think - maybe I'm just not looking at this correctly (is there a correct answer?!). Looking forward to the next one!! Pat

message 5: by Diane (new)

There is actually a sequel called "Belles On Their Toes" that tells what happened next. I read it years ago but remembering enjoying it. The books are out and being read now, so we'll all have comments very soon!

XOXO

message 6: by Tisha (new)

Tisha (tishafinlay) | 11 comments I thought this was an interesting book as well. I think I have a little different outtake on it however; seeing as I came from a family of eleven children. It didn't seem too abnormal to me. Dinner conversations were always the funniest part of the day! I did think the motion studies got a little out of hand; it seemed the father couldn't think of anything else. Ever. I also thought that it was a great way to teach though. I loved how he was always trying to be with his kids and help them grow in different ways. While reading the book I found the father to be controlling; however, when I reached the ending and found out that he mostly did it to help his wife when he died I was a little more sympathetic. Overall I found the book a fun read. Not something that I would read again, but I found a lot of topics that made me think about my own family and how we want to raise our children.

Thanks Diane for dropping by a copy!

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 8 comments I though this book was pretty clever. The dad reminded me of several people in my family. I can only imagine the chaos that went on in real life. I would love to have read their story more from the mom's point of view. It really focused mainly on the Dad.

Diane,
Am I late getting it back to the library?

message 8: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (FisksGirl) | 4 comments Mod
Not at all--the books aren't due until April 8.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Sorry, that really came from me. It was still logged in under Isabelle's name.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate | 15 comments I was in this play in high school, and so I was very excited to read the book. (The play is also written by the same two children). I really loved the style of the book. I too enjoyed how the chapters were arranged by events or subject. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the family antics. I can't believe the success that the father had with such little education. He must have had quite the IQ. Like Susan, Mr. Gilbreth reminded me of some people in my own family, even my own husband in a way. Tisha, does it take that much organization to run a household with a lot of children?

message 11: by Tisha (new)

Tisha (tishafinlay) | 11 comments Ha! I don't think my mom has been organized for a day of her life... She definitely put up with a lot from us kids, but her children are everything to her. I loved growing up in a big family, always having a friend to play with! I don't think our family was quite as eccentric as the cheaper by the dozen family, but of course every family has their own little ways of doing things!

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly (HHarvey) | 14 comments I've read this one before, and have seen the classic movie, but it was still fun to read again! I think it would be a lot harder to have a dozen kids in this day -- think of all the ball games and other activities you'd have to keep track of! :-)

message 13: by Diane (new)

There is one copy of the book still out. It's due tomorrow (4/8). If you don't have time to drop it off at the library, just let me know and I'll come grab it.

Thanks!