Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Great Books on Tape

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments I just posted my review of Eat, Pray, Love which I loved listening to on tape...and I'm pretty sure I would not have had such a great experience with the book if Elizabeth Gilbert's voice had not been part of it.

I now want to listen to more books on tape. Anyone listen to some excellent voices telling good stories? If so, please share titles. Thanks!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 08, 2009 03:20PM) (new)

Bonesetter's Daughter
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan A Novel
I am a big fan of listening to Amy Tans books on tape.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Thirteenth Tale
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
I am the Messenger by Zusak
Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society
Colony by Anne Rivers Siddons
Outlander

message 5: by Patricia (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:32AM) (new)

Patricia Kate,
I've been listening to books on tape for about 10 years--starting back when they were truly on tape. My library has a huge selection and I have been a consummate consumer. I listen while driving, exercising, gardening, doing housework, and once when I was sick, I listened to books for a week solid. I relish being "read" to. Now I'm a member of Audible.com and I download books to my iPod. I have almost no music on my iPod. It's full of audio books. I just finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle in audio format. I'll post a review soon. The good thing about audiobooks is that we readers get through many more books when we get to listen while we do other things. Welcome to the world of audiobooks.

message 7: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I too have listened to first cassette tapes of books then portable CD's and now my library has free downloadables for MP3. I am in seventh heaven. I have to do repetitive exercises and walking for my health so I frankly, look forward to the next chapter in my books. I have come across some stinky readers that have even burped on tape to falling into the world of the book just by the magic of the voices. I think sometimes it does change my feelings of the book in the end. But really there are so many books so little time as we all know.

I second David Sedaris "me talk pretty one day" he reads this himself and has included some of his standup in it.
Barbara Kingsolver reads her own Prodigal summer and that has bird sounds etc in with the reading...lovely.
I really liked listening to Harry Potter. Jim Dale reads them all and he is by far and away the best reader I have ever come across. This man could read about different sand grains and make it interesting ...no kidding!!! Fabulous and he has won many awards to prove it.
There is a woman that reads the Outlander books by Diane Gabalden that is wonderful. She sings, speaks celtic and more..marvelous job.

Long way down by Nick Hornby is read by 4 different people for the 4 main characters. This book is about a serious subject and it was so well done.

Nothing makes you feel the book like listening to British books read by British readers etc. Look for what interests you and pick and choose. Don't be discouraged if a popular book is not grabbing you because the reading is not so hot. I read those then and move on to finding another to listen to.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments I love books on tape, although I admit I don't listen to many anymore. When I worked an hour from my home, they were wonderful. Sometimes, I would get so wrapped up, I would sit in the parking lot until I had a good stopping point.

If you are looking for a good one, "Under the Banner of Heaven" is wonderful. I would also recommend "I Am a Stranger Here Myself," which is about Bill Bryson's return to the U.S. after living 20 years abroad. It is HILARIOUS.

message 9: by Alyson (new)

Alyson I agree about I am a Stranger Here Myself. Very funny as his Bryson's reading of "In a Sunburnt Country"

message 10: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 101 comments The Stephanie Plum books are really entertaining for audio.

message 11: by LinBee (new)

LinBee It's a bit strange, but I like to listen to Young Adult and Juvenile books on cd. Especially when I am in the car. I find them so light and enjoyable, and since I still love reading that level, I find it better for me than having the pick up the actual book. I do, however, enjoy listening to Terry Pratchett books on cd!

message 12: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I'm using an audiobook for the first time (The Color of Magic) and I just can't pay attention! I listen only in the car, and apparently I space out while I'm driving, because I have no idea what's happening in this book and I'm halfway-or-more through it.

message 13: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments Anything read by David Sedaris.

Life of Pi was incredible.

Sweet Potato Queen books are good. i don't remember the titles but they all should have "Sweet Potato Queen" in them. The author reads them herself.

I've heard Harry Potter books are great on CD. i haven't listened to them.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I 2nd Life of Pi.

message 15: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2148 comments I too like YA on tape. I can't remember all that I've listened to, but I do remember really liking Whirligigs by Paul Fleishman (sp?). I just picked up the Heritic's Daughter on CD, I'll let you know how it is.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) oohh love this topic!! seriously audio is the only way I get things read!

my two fav narrators are George Guidall (he did The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Echo. and I think he has done a Cormac McCarthy book. He also was the voice of the old man in The history of love. I like his parts of that book.

and Tom Stechschulte who did No Country for Old Men. I have listened to many things by both of these narrators and love every min of them speaking.

There are other books that I know I would not have been able to actually read. but I loved listening to them... Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and A Clockwork Orange. to name two.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments Thanks so much everyone! I'm off to the library...

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I just listened to The Lovely Bones on tape and it was enjoyable.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I listen to audiobooks almost every day on my commute. I have a shelf marked "audios" if you'd like to browse. Some good ones off the top of my head:

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
Little Heathens
Quality of Life Report
The Thirteenth Tale
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Secret History of the Pink Carnation
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
anything by Joann Fluke
anything by Diane Mott Davidson
We're Just Like You, Only Prettier
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I just started one to fall back to sleep to and it is keeping me up! It's really good.

Whiskey Sour - the first of a series called the Jack Daniels mysteries. (the detective's name is Jacqueline Daniels, she goes by Jack.)

There are 2 voices, alternating every other chapter - the female police detective and the male creepy psychotic killer. His voice is so creepy and hers matches her personality just right.

I'm really enjoying it.

message 21: by Yoby (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:57AM) (new)

Yoby (yobs) | 67 comments I subscribe to Librivox, for a lot of the great classics. They don't have the complete Anna finished yet, but I am listening to war and peace, and I relax more and get more of the story line without worrying over the names and who is who. So far it seems all the men treat their wives as little pets. But then, all their lives are about to fall apart. it isn't just going to be interesting political talks at small gatherings aqnymore.

I am also listening to Emma, GK chesterton, The Interior castle, and several short stories and children's books (they have almost all of Tolstoy's short stories.

Librivox is free, and I can listen to it through iTunes on my computor (aservice that is also free along with the iTunesU which is lectures from colleges al over.)

This way I can still read as much as I want and still do my housework. And it doesn't cost me a dime.I also listen to them through my iPod stereo on whichever floor I am on.

You can also get it in a chapter a day sevice through your e-mail, for those who don't want to mess with itunes. They have a couple of other methods also, but I haven't explored them yet.

It sure saves on shelf space for all my overburdened book shelves. I no longer feel like I have to have a complete library of the classic son my shelves which they are all stored on my computor.

message 22: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) The only audio book I've heard is "Tacky the Penguin" years ago when my kids were young. I haven't listened to any more, I guess I find the reading the book itself satisfying, plus I think maybe my mind would wander. Is that true for anyone else or should I try again sometime?

message 23: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments I love Chicks on Lit. I now have such a great list. I just loaded "Home" by Marilyn Robinson onto my ipod and listened at the gym yesterday...loved it, can't wait to get back to it, which bodes well for my exercise regime.

message 24: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Dolly, you should try again some time. Think about it...when we were too little to read we were read too. It is how we first loved books and learned about stories and our imagination took off. Then we couldn't wait to read them ourselves. Listening takes practice just like it takes practice to be a good story teller. Those story time librarians are awesome but I could never be a great story teller. Anyway, I listen when I walk and do repetitive exercises. You have to learn to tune out other stuff and focus on the story but when you find a good reader it is awesomely wonderful. It does not take the place of reading a book in anyway but it is another way to enjoy the written word.

message 25: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) That is a good way to think about it KrisT. Do you listen to stuff while you're driving on a trip?

message 26: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Yes I even was able to get my husband to try a book one time on a trip to my sisters house. It was so fun we didn't want to stop to use the restrooms. We listened to half on the way there and had to wait for the return trip to listen to the rest. He loved it.

I will say however pick carefully the books you want to listen to. One time i was driving through the night and i picked a john saul book...scared me to death so I had to wait till daylight to finish it.ha

message 27: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Anything by Bill Bryson on cd is fantastic. He reads them all and it's wonderful to listen to him. :)

message 28: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments Patricia----I'm on audible too!!!!!

loved Thirteenth Tale on audio.....I enjoyed middlesex on audio too!

message 29: by Mary (last edited Feb 16, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments This is a great thread. I have friends that use audible and swear by it. Not all books transfer well to audio but my favorites over the last year have been:
The Thirteenth Tale and Water for Elephants. Ideal listening conditions for me are during football season when my husband is gone for home games and I have a blissfully quiet house...time to do whatever project I want. It's all about your hands being free to do other things while you get to enjoy a book.
Audio is like Bluetooth to cell phones. (Except I don't use a blue tooth)

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen (kkdmsn) My first experience with a book on tape was probably also my best! The Secret Life of Bees by Monk. Great narrator who sounded like a southern teenager. It was perfect. I have a 7 hour drive to go visit my family. I always do a book on tape. It makes the travel time whiz by and I look forward to the drive.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (nekokitty) | 43 comments Here are some of my favorites to listen to:

A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Secret Life of Bees
The Book Thief

Next up on my listening list is The Portrait of a Lady. A friend has highly recommended it, so hopefully it'll be enjoyable. I haven't heard the audio version of Lian Hearn's Otori series, but I hear it's amazing. I have read the books, and I enjoyed them a lot.

message 32: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Oh I want to get to those again so I should see if my library has Hearn's books on audio. Thanks for reminding me. :)

message 33: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I am also on audible/to my ipod. I love it. I was an original member when it was books on tape. My favorites, off the top of my head are:
Pillars of the Earth
World Without End
The Glass Castle
Ireland

it is a great way to add to your reading collection. I listen on the way to work, when I clean my house, when I am cooking, when I am waiting in a doctor's office, and whenever I can.

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 229 comments KrisT I agree about listening to Jim Dale reading of the Harry Potter Series...to die for! And Yes Sand would be interesting if he was reading about it. I also agree British Books read by British voices are perfect and dreamy! Try listening to Atonement or any of the Patrick O'Brian books very dreamy!

I do have to admit that Julia Roberts for the Nanny Dairies was also pretty good. And I have listened to some books of Peter Mayle as well after reading them...very nice as well.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Not only was Lincoln Lawyer a terrific courtroom drama, but the guy who does the audio versions does so many voice in different accents - he is incredible. So reading or audio-ing, that book is A-1!

Meg I'm like you, I even listen in the shower to audiobooks. All the time, whenever I can.

message 36: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Oo, try The Alchemist, the reader is Jeremy Irons, what a voice he has.

message 37: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I am reading The Book Thief right now, it's wonderful! The narrator is so fitting for the voice of Death. I also like the narrator for the Georgia Nicholson books by Louise Rennison.

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments I'm now listening to HOME by Marilyn Robinson on tape. Oddly, I don't think I could have finished the book if I were to have read it myself because it is soooo slow...but I'm grateful I'm listening to it on tape because the reader is so great that it's like listening to a radio play. And if I hadn't finished it by reading it myself, I would have missed out on an amazing novel.

message 39: by Patty (new)

Patty My favorite listen/read of the last year was Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. Listening to Ruby Dee tell this story made one of my favorite books even better.

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments I think there's way more to Clooney than his voice.. watch his movies instead, ha ha. :)

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments I am listening to a great book on tape now. The Little Giant of Aberdeen County. What I like about the reader (a woman whose name I do not remember at present) is that she uses voices. And you would think they are silly, but they are not. They are variations of her voice that help distinguish the characters. And the language is beautiful. I listen to it in my car and it transports me back to my childhood, when my mom would read me stories.

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments The woman who read Marilyn Robinson's HOME used voices too. Took me a little while to get used to them, but soon I was really into it and found it very effective.

message 43: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) I've never read it, but Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" is on sale on ITunes. Its $4.95, its worth a try at that price!

message 44: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen The Road is really good, but really depressing. I'd recommend it though.

message 45: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments Re: The Road

I didn't like it but if you decide to, make sure you do "read" it via CD. I heard that trying to read the actual book is painful because of his writing style (no punctuation is one thing I think). Listening to it would be so much easier on the brain. And if I remember correctly the narrator did a great job. I just didn't like the story. Felt I wasted my time.

message 46: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I didn't like it either. It was depressing and the relationship part that everyone raves about was something that I didn't care about. I agree, I felt like I wasted my time.

message 47: by Patty (new)

Patty | 84 comments I am just finishing The Thirteenth Tale = thanks to all that recommended it! A wonderful "listen"!

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Someone recommended The Thirteenth Tale to me yesterday at work. I'm definitely going to read it now.

My favorite audios:

Shopgirl (Written and read by Steve Martin. The story was more engrossing and less fluff than I thought it would be.)

To Kill a Mockingbird read by Sissy Spacek

The Ruins read by Patrick Wilson

The Kite Runner read by the author
A Thousand Splendid Suns read by Atossa Leoni

Enders Game

Digging to America read by Blair Brown
The Amateur Marriage
The Accidental Tourist
Back When We Were Grownups

The Lovely Bones

The Ice Queen
Skylight Confessions

message 49: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Could someone listen to What is the What? It is so well done, I am dying to talk about it to someone, anyone!

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorinicole33) | 5 comments marley and me was great to listen to !

« previous 1 3