Any Daphne Du Maurier fans out there? discussion

D du M's books > The King's General

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I just finished this one and loved it. A very different heroine (paralized from the waist down) and a most unlikeable hero and based on a real-life character Richard Grenvile (or Grenville according to Wik). The home where much of the story is based, Menabilly is a place where du Maurier lived for a time and is also the setting for Rebecca.

The King's General is set in Cornwall during the Civil War of the 1640's.

message 2: by Vena (new)

Vena | 22 comments The King's General is my #2 favorite of D du M's novels, right behind THOTS -- yes, I like both better than Rebecca, though I think it's splendid as well.

I'm afraid that I judge nearly all historical fiction by the standard of The King's General, and almost all come up lacking. Perhaps that's not fair because most writers just don't have the skills D du M had: for instance, most historical writers don't know how to leave their 20th-21st century sensibilities in the 20th/21st centuries. Another example is the intrusive authorial voice -- sometimes the author won't let me forget there's a writer lurking behind his/her characters, when I want to forget that the characters are just imaginative re-creations. D du M, not only lets me forget, sometimes I have trouble telling what she actually made up. To me, it's a very good writer who can do that.

So, in the case of The King's General, I think D du M brought her characters to life so vividly that I'm hard-pressed to recall them without her fleshing-out of them; especially Gartred Grenvile Harris Denys, the protagonist Honor's nemesis, and Gartred's brother (Honor's lover): The name of this soldier of fortune, who had hoodwinked the Parliament in so scurrilous a fashion, was Richard Grenvile.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I just loved the scene between Honor and Richard's sister as they played cards and swiped quips at each other while Menabilly is being sacked by the Parliamenterians (sp?). Very good stuff. Have you seen the new cover for a new release later this year?

[image error]

message 4: by Dottie (last edited Jun 29, 2009 05:18PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Misfit wrote: "I just loved the scene between Honor and Richard's sister as they played cards and swiped quips at each other while Menabilly is being sacked by the Parliamenterians (sp?). Very good stuff. Have yo..."

That scene was amazing! I'm absolutely in agreement with you on that. I'll soon be finished with The King's General and am loving every bit of it. I am looking forward to picking up copies of her books as the new editions are published!

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments That was a wow scene wasn't it? I rather enjoyed reading the first edition from the library, as much as I like the new covers :)

message 6: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) I finished The King's General last evening and loved that she encored the card playing between Honor and Gartred (spelling?) In this omnibus there was a page of summary for some of the characters -- i suppose it in the other edtitions as well -- I rather liked that "wrapping up" but it isn't soemthing one finds in many more modern writings, i don't think.

On to The Glass-Blowers!

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I'm thinking Dottie's going to be the next one needing a twelve step program to break the du Maruier habit......

(My next will be The Parasites)

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Misfit wrote: "I'm thinking Dottie's going to be the next one needing a twelve step program to break the du Maruier habit......

(My next will be The Parasites)"
Dottie, welcome to the club!!

message 9: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Laura wrote: "Misfit wrote: "I'm thinking Dottie's going to be the next one needing a twelve step program to break the du Maruier habit......

(My next will be The Parasites)" Dottie, welcome to the club!!

"

Oh. ladies, ladies -- it's FAR too late for me -- I've been a fan of hers since I would hazard a guess -- around junior high age. I just hadn't read all of hers -- reread those I read multiple times though and am now thoroughly enjoying checking off the volumes!

Nothing to be ashamed of in this addiction -- nor is there any harm -- unless one never does ANYTHING but read. Heh.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I've really been having a good time going through her back list, as well as another Amazon friend who has been doing the same. It's been a lot of fun comparing opinions. Although I think I will skip Rule Britannia. I'm saving Rebecca for last.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Misfit: "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again..."

message 12: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments Man, I can't wait.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura I am just tempting you...

message 14: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) I miss Manderley -- my cat that is. Yes, I give literary names to my pets. I know, I know, but that's how it is.

message 15: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I love that name. I have a few names from books picked out for future cats, but Misift the kittycat she pretty much named herself. She's a weirdo, but she's mine :)

message 16: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 32 comments One of my cats was Oliver Twist, who was a loveable urchin.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura why we all love cats???

message 18: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments Kitties are the best :)

message 19: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 14 comments I'm about halfway through this one. That Gartred is a piece of work, eh?

Here's my question though. How much of this is a true story? Are these real people?

message 20: by Barb (new)

Barb | 8 comments I think there's a note at the end of the book.
She gives details on the historical figures and I'm pretty sure they are all real/dead people.

Gartred was a clam!

message 21: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I vaguely recall notes as well but I could be mistaken. Mine was a very very old first edition from the library. Google some of the names and you'll find they were real people, especially Richard. Unless my memory fails, Menabilly is the house that inspired Rebecca and D du M and her family spent a lot of time there as tenants of the owners.

message 22: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 14 comments Yeah I read something about how she leased the house from the descendants of the people who owned it in the book. And I found details about Richard, but not about Honor. There is a note at the end of the book, but I don't want to read it and ruin anything for myself yet. I wonder if the whole romance and all that is true. I wonder if these are real letters. I'll have to do some more research.

message 23: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 150 comments I can't recall off the top of my head if I ever found anything about Honor. And I'm now signing off and shutting down for the night so it will have to be later :)

I did love those two, wouldn't you just adore seeing what a few good actors could do with that?

message 24: by ToniS (new)

ToniS | 14 comments I finished the book last night. I was thinking toward the end about her characters and similarities between books. It seems to me there are a lot of violent, disengaged men who deign to be romantic when it suits them and women who support them because they don't feel worthy of a full, normal relationship.

This is also the first book where I have noticed gay character. Are there others that I just didn't pay attention to? I read something not too long ago about her influence on modern lesbian novelists and I was thinking, hmm, I wonder why that is. Is there gay subtext that I missed on first reading?

Any Daphne Du Maurier fans out there?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The King's General (other topics)