Addicted to YA discussion

Debates > Love Triangles

Comments (showing 1-50 of 90) (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 4468 comments Mod
Do you like love triangles or do you prefer books without them?

message 2: by Mimi ❤ (last edited Sep 26, 2012 01:30PM) (new)

Mimi ❤ (ohsnapitsmimi) | 81 comments I adore love triangles if the two men/two woman the heroine/hero is confused over are TWO COMPLETLY DIFFERENT CHARACTERS. Not like in the Hunger Games where Peta and Gale were much too similar personality wise. I like Wuthering Heights sort of a love triangle.

Also, I prefer the hero stuck between two woman rather than the heroine stuck between two men :)

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (NikkiKimera) | 88 comments Well i do like love triangles alot when it is done well. I like it when the men/women are completely different and the choice is not to obviouse like in twilight.

message 4: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4490 comments Sometimes they're overdone but a couple of my favorite books have love triangles, like Clockwork Angel and The Hunger Games. It's refreshing to see books without them but then again they can be pretty engrossing. But I don't like it when authors just use them to lure people into their books. I think if you're a good writer you should be able to do that without a love triangle. In books like Clockwork Angel and the Hunger Games there is more to the book than the love triangle & I think thats what I like about those books. :)

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma I don't really like love triangles, because then the whole book just becomes like, "who is she going to choose?!" "what team are you on?!" and the main character just seems really annoying because she/he is so indecisive and just can't choose, and then at the end there is usually one really heartbroken person. :(

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Hoehne (NikkiRajaramlol) | 689 comments I love love triangles but not when someone gets hurt in the end. I like it when the one who doesn't get chosen finds someone else:)

message 7: by Nikki (last edited Sep 26, 2012 03:07PM) (new)

Nikki (NikkiKimera) | 88 comments Nikki wrote: "I love love triangles but not when someone gets hurt in the end. I like it when the one who doesn't get chosen finds someone else:)"
I agree with you. I do like love triangles but they can be annoying when that is all the book is centered on when there could be a whole lot more actual plot. Oh and you are the other Nikki Anna told me about ^.^.

message 8: by Erika, Dream Thief (last edited Sep 26, 2012 03:18PM) (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 4468 comments Mod
I think I could go either way but I think that love triangles should not be called love triangles. Most of the time one person loves two people so its more like a love V.

Well anyway some love triangles I really like and others not so much. I like the love triangle in Clockwork Angel because I have no idea who Tessa is going to choose plus it is an actual love triangle because Will and Jem have a brotherly love going on there. But I couldn't stand the love triangle that appeared in Maximum Ride because I felt that it was just thrown in there just to make it interesting.

message 9: by Victor (new)

Victor | 531 comments I love love triagles! I'd love to read more books with them since I only read Twilight, Hunger Games, and Vladimir Todd.

message 10: by Kylee (new)

Kylee I hats em thar should be two peeps but that sometimes can get boring I know

message 11: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (last edited Oct 02, 2012 03:05AM) (new)

Nikki Sojkowski (NikkiSoj) | 1491 comments Mod
I don't hate or love love triangles but they ARE annoying. Most Of the time I can't understand what is so likeable about the middle person! Like Bella, Katniss and Megan (twilight, Hunger games, and iron fey). Honestly, the guys deserve someone way better there was nothing likable about these girls except for maybe Katniss and Megan's survival sense. (Which made me hate Katniss even worse and Megan had to constantly be saved by someone anyways) enough about them though

The point was that love triangles are stupid but it's fun to root for a side

message 12: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4490 comments I would disagree about Katniss, I think she ahd some unlikable moments but all in all I think she was a good character. I get what you're saying about the love triangles though, it IS fun to root for the different sides.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 442 comments hate triangles. they're too cliched

message 14: by Cassandra (last edited Nov 21, 2012 05:36PM) (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 331 comments I'm not a fan either, and I don't find them realistic. That's just my experience though, I'm sure plenty of girls have guys that are ready to jump off a bridge for them. ;) I think it's that they are so overblown in popular novels now, and that maybe why I find them unrealistic. Then again, who knows!

message 15: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve (LottieEve) | 219 comments I like love triangles when they are written well... I just hate the kind of love triangle where there is this super nice boy that the character has known her whole life and then some "bad boy" who treats her like crap and she has to choose between the two. You just know it is going to be the bad boy -.-

message 16: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Lottie wrote: "I like love triangles when they are written well... I just hate the kind of love triangle where there is this super nice boy that the character has known her whole life and then some "bad boy" who ..."

Yes I hate those types of love triangles the most!!

message 17: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve (LottieEve) | 219 comments Nikki *Otaku wrote: "Lottie wrote: "I like love triangles when they are written well... I just hate the kind of love triangle where there is this super nice boy that the character has known her whole life and then some..."

lol in real life I think anybody with common sense would pick the nice boy and say "super nice boy take let us go on a date to _____"

message 18: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve (LottieEve) | 219 comments Melina wrote: "I adore love triangles if the two men/two woman the heroine/hero is confused over are TWO COMPLETLY DIFFERENT CHARACTERS. Not like in the Hunger Games where Peta and Gale were much too similar pers..."

I have never read a book with a man stuck between two woman! Well, I guess that is normal as most YA books are in female POVs...

message 19: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 331 comments Lottie wrote: "Nikki *Otaku wrote: "Lottie wrote: "I like love triangles when they are written well... I just hate the kind of love triangle where there is this super nice boy that the character has known her who..."
What if the bad boy is also a super nice boy?

message 20: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Cassandra wrote: "Lottie wrote: "Nikki *Otaku wrote: "Lottie wrote: "I like love triangles when they are written well... I just hate the kind of love triangle where there is this super nice boy that the character ha..."

Then how would he be a 'bad boy' type if he's super nice?

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 14 comments Lottie wrote: "I like love triangles when they are written well... I just hate the kind of love triangle where there is this super nice boy that the character has known her whole life and then some "bad boy" who ..."

exactually! you already know the outcome of the story and you know how she has to be all careful and how feelings are all over the place and then in the end she's in love with the "bad boy". That's why I perfer no love triangles, that way the love can be pure and not with someone else standing in the way...

message 22: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve (LottieEve) | 219 comments Danielle wrote: "Lottie wrote: "I like love triangles when they are written well... I just hate the kind of love triangle where there is this super nice boy that the character has known her whole life and then some..."

You nailed it sister! I would love to read a book where the couple has been dating before the events of the book take place or have the love develop with no interruption from another guy/girl. Sadly I think that the YA genre is still thinking that love triangles sell-and if you think about love triangles do sell.

message 23: by Nikki, Eragon Bookslayer (new)

Exactly how I feel! I'd much rather give the relationship problems that don't have to do with a 3rd party trying to win over one of them

message 24: by Lottie (last edited Nov 21, 2012 07:09PM) (new)

Lottie Eve (LottieEve) | 219 comments I think that the reason so many authors do love triangles is because they can't think of any other problem to put the couple through other then another guy/woman walking in the room... I have heard
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks actually had a good problem the couple had to go through. The girl had alzheimers...
I hope I spelled Alzheimers right.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I think love triangles suck, but in Twilight it was interesting. I thought the way Stephenie Meyer did the love triangles was great.

message 26: by Autumn (new)

Autumn | 70 comments I have yet to read an actual love triangle in a book. I have read love V's though. And those usually make me want to throw the book across the room and get me really really mad. For that reason I usually avoid paranormal books, as love v's abound. But, there was a non-annoying one in Throne of Glass (by Sarah J. Maas) which I LOVED. That one was well done and not stupid.

So, if love triangles weren't as frequent and were done in a non-stupid manner, I probably wouldn't mind them.

message 27: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve (LottieEve) | 219 comments Autumn wrote: "I have yet to read an actual love triangle in a book. I have read love V's though. And those usually make me want to throw the book across the room and get me really really mad. For that reason I u..."

I think love triangles and love V's are the same :)

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma I think love triangles have become so predictable. Seems to be the default setting for lots of YA books these days. If it completely comes out of the blue, almost as though it has surprised the author as much as the reader then I find it more believable. But in many books it feels totally contrived, as though it was always the intention and the love triangle has BECOME the story rather than being a part of the story. On its own, a love triangle will not hold my attention.

message 29: by Autumn (new)

Autumn | 70 comments Lottie wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I have yet to read an actual love triangle in a book. I have read love V's though. And those usually make me want to throw the book across the room and get me really really mad. For ..."
I know. But the fact that it being a triangle does nt work out bothers me so much. a love triangle would mean a likes b and b likes c and c likes a. not a and c liking b and b being torn between them. It irkssss meeeeee!!!!!!!!

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (yerawizardamanda) Depends. A lot of my favorite ships are involved in a love triangle but then sometimes they get on my nerves. so clique and sometimes it feels so forced and just wrong. I enjoy them if they are gradually built with sense.

message 31: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 331 comments Nikki *Otaku wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "Lottie wrote: "Nikki *Otaku wrote: "Lottie wrote: "I like love triangles when they are written well... I just hate the kind of love triangle where there is this super nice boy tha..."

Bad boy looks (tattoos, lip ring, listens to metal, plays in a band) but who isn't bad at all...

message 32: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 331 comments Autumn wrote: "Lottie wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I have yet to read an actual love triangle in a book. I have read love V's though. And those usually make me want to throw the book across the room and get me really r..."
Ouy!!! Confusing!! I get what you're saying, though.

message 33: by Sandy S (new)

Sandy S Love Triangles seem to be all the rage in YA novels...and they drive me crazy.

The Reading Cafe did a post about YA LOVE TRIANGLES:

Check it out:

http://thereadingcafe.com/young-adult...

message 34: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 56 comments I like love triangles but they have to be good and the girl can't be a stupid airhead. The love trianlge in Ahses, Ashes was AWFUL.

message 35: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4490 comments I completely agree! I hate books where the girl is totally insensitive and utterly stupid. *cough* Twilight *cough*

message 36: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 56 comments Lol trueeee. They've gotta be nice, good, complicated and deep love triangles for me to like them and the girl has to have some brains in her head. I like it when its a girl between two guys, not a guy between two girls, although I haven't read much of those.

message 37: by Star (last edited Dec 06, 2012 07:27PM) (new)

Star | 5 comments Personally I think I am taking a break from them, any book with one is going on the wait shelf for now.I had already just about had it, and Iron Fey clinched it for me. I think you can have more than one strong likable character without having to make it a love triangle. Its almost tacky at this point.

Beside if she ditches the nice boy who's always been there, she wasn't in love with him to begin with or she wouldn't chase the bad boy....which means she was using him and that pretty much blackballs her from my fav list :/

message 38: by An (new)

An I like them enough if they are done well.

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate I don't mind unpredictable love triangles, but most of them are carried out in the same way. I can't think of a love triangle off the top of my head where the heroine didn't ultimately choose the first guy she thought of romantically. The second person to express an interest in the main character usually comes across as a temporary nuisance or an after-thought, even if the character is awesome.

And how come the best friend always is the loser?

message 40: by Sophie (last edited Dec 27, 2012 01:25AM) (new)

Sophie (warpedline) | 96 comments I only like love triangles if they are WRITTEN PROPERLY. There is nothing I hate more than an author/debut author making a half-hearted attempt at a love triangle, and failing utterly. Sometimes it ruins a perfectly good book and storyline.
If the triangles are fresh, new and original than I love them - but there are some incredibly repetitive themes I have noticed in a majority of books (ie. Female protagonist always goes for the darker, forbidden, more bad-ass and mysterious handsome guy - the best friend is always, ALWAYS rejected - there is always some form of heartbreak or a passionate scene which results in confusion... "Do I love him? Why did he push me away? Why did he kiss me?"... Yada yada yada... I could go on for ages. But to put it simply, there are precious few authors who have the ability to successfully pull off a love triangle.

(ie. Cassandra Clare - Love you!, or Sarah J Maas -Love you too! :P)

message 41: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Capulet  (mjcapulet) | 205 comments I like love triangles when they're written on a strong foundation. Take The Hunger Games, for example. Another thing is, I love love triangles wherein there is no inferior or superior love interest. There's no clear shot of who gets the girl/guy in the end. They're given equal chances and equal moments with the protagonist of the story. A good example of this would be The Infernal Devices, particularly Clockwork Prince. My, my, my. That book ripped my heart out. I also like love triangles with unpredictable endings. I like something that goes out of the obvious.

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate A lot of people may disagree, but I thought the love triangle in The Hunger Games was really well done and actually important to the plot. I was just as torn as Katniss, and I usually make up my mind pretty quickly. It's really the books that throw in a live triangle just for the sake of having a love triangle that gives it a bad name.

message 43: by April (new)

April | 558 comments I really like the Hunger Games love triangle! Though I was Team Peeta from book 1 I still thought that Suzanne Collins did an awesome job with the love triangle! :) the books that I don't like with love triangles are the ones that the triangle takes up the ENTIRE plot and where there isn't a storyline. The love triangle storylines I don't like is when that's all the book is about and to me it makes the main character unlikable because they just go from one guy/ girl, to the other and it annoys me usually. Unless it's well done, as in The Hunger Games trilogy, or in Matched by Allie Condie ( just my opinion.) I usually don't like love triangles though, and they get annoying when they take up the whole plot.

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather James (makexbelieve) | 25 comments I really liked the love triangle in the Hunger Games. It didn't completely take over the plot, but it was really important for the development of Katniss' character. It also kept you guessing. One of the great things about the Hunger Games Trilogy is that Katniss doesn't pick her first choice - in most books, the protagonist will always end up back with option a, and that can get a bit predictable.

Sometimes though, I think they detract from my enjoyment of the story - I really wished that the Delerium series hadn't turned into a love triangle, as I get the feeling that I'm not going to like the ending.

In my own book (really sorry if this seems like plugging, but I really do think it's relevant to the discussion!) I have two female protagonists, both who like the same guy, thus turning the love triangle concept on its head. What do people think of this idea? I hope (and it seems to be working so far, from comments online) that readers will pick a favourite to side with, but will be unable to predict how the series will end.

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily | 155 comments I like your idea of having two girls instead of boys. With girls, it just gets predictable, because they always end up with the "bad boy" that makes them feel "alive". I, personally, have nothing against love triangles, but they usually aren't written very well, or subtract from the story as the author focuses more on that than character development or the plot.

message 46: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean I don't like love triangles. They take away from the story and all your obssessed about is who the main character is going to pick and if its going to be your choice. If it is you're happy, if it's not you're pissed. It's not worth it.
Then the author has to find something for the loser of the love triangle to do to make their lives worth living. The loser almost always falls in love with someone else which makes the love triangle that took place for god knows how many book, pointless. Like in twilight. Jacob was so in love with Bella but then when she chose Edward, Jacob fell in love with Bella's daughter. I mean come on. The whole damn series was about who she picked and once Jacob lost he fell for another character. Bella couldn't have been all that important then.
Or if that doesn't happen then one for the members of the triangle dies or sacrifices themselves or something like that and the Main character is with the other guy/girl by default. Its dumb and their frustrating.

And don't get me started on insta-love. lol

message 47: by Stormy (new)

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 3523 comments I like love triangles if they are well written. Of the triangle begins to overtake the plot, then that's when I become really annoyed.

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara Shaw | 456 comments They must be well written. As in the 2 guys are completely different guys. Not just with looks.
But sometimes they really are boring and just a stupid addition to books.

message 49: by -RininTa- (new)

-RininTa- (RinZ) | 560 comments It depends on the story. Sometimes I find the love triangles make the story intense but it isn't often I find the love triangles is annoying. It ruins the whole story and sometimes it's extreme and make the hero/heroine character is weak. I think love triangles will be good if the author not take it as a whole focus and if it's necessary, I think it's alright to end the love triangles even it is in the second book or etc (if it series book) :)

message 50: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 442 comments i see why love triangles are popular. they add drama to the book when an author is trying to come up with a legitimate plot development. to me triangles are waste. do it once or maybe thrice, it is novelty but when you try with all books then the authors are not original.
A good triangle is not making who the MC chooses to be unpredictable. When triangle becomes the key plot then that is all we end up with, suspense over who she chooses. As such we have a mushy teen romance as sub plot. It shows how low we as readers have set the bar.
Honestly in a triangle, the MC can choose either or neither of the two boys.(min is 2 and no limit on max)
the outcome is no different.
By our ogling about which guy is hot, we are only encouraging authors to use the least effort in writing a worthy book.

« previous 1