Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

New Book tease?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gretchen In anticipation of her new book and the countless interviews and media that are surrounding Rowling. The L.A Times is reporting via the BBC that Rowling has said that she is open to a new HP book. To be precise she is not closed to the idea. There are no plans for a new book but she said if she gets an idea then she would write it.

I have a feeling it would never happen and she is just luring us in. However, what book would you have her write if she wrote one, what gap do you want filled?

I would be against a prequel as I don't think those play out well, I would also not want to hear about any of the characters that we already know well. However, maybe a book about Teddy or any of the children other then the principal characters children. We all know that there is never pure peace so even though Voldemort is gone I 'm sure eventually some other snake would rise up in his place.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/na...

message 2: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Sep 26, 2012 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samantha The Escapist It's a shame how interviewers will guide the person though.

As concluded as it is she can't know that she won't be struck with sudden inspiration down the road, it's how the series started in the first place.

But because the juiciest thing they could get her to say is that there will be another book they probably goaded and pried and said "Are you sure you'll NEVER write another book in that universe at all!??" with her responding something like "Well, I don't know, maybe someday!" And of course THAT'S what they'll report.

But "Maybe someday" is also what I say to the mentally challenged guy at work who proposes to every woman who walks by him, or when my parents ask if I'm sure I'll never make it to the olympics for something.

I noticed this most when they interview players that first get off the ice in a hockey game, they don't usually cut up what the interviewer says right then so it's mostly candid and the way they try to manipulate the player into answering their question with the perfect quote or soundbite to be taken out of context is simply ridiculous.

Avani I'm skeptical that she will write a new Harry Potter book anytime soon, but I'm sure that if she did, no matter whether readers had voiced opinions that she shouldn't, everyone would inhale and devour it lovingly anyway. Such is the power of the Potter fandom ;)

Myssi I always thought a book of short stories staring the OTHER students at Hogwarts would be fun.

Gretchen Myssi wrote: "I always thought a book of short stories staring the OTHER students at Hogwarts would be fun."

I like that idea. I am a huge L. M. Montgomery fan and devoured all of the Anne books. She also had other series but she did have a book called Tales from Avonlea that were just short stories about the people in the town and these were often where the story lines from the t.v series that ran on Disney came from.

So I agree @Myssi I think a tales from Hogwarts could be a good story, a collection of stories from everyone from the Ghosts, to the people in the portraits to the old teachers and other students.

Samantha The Escapist How about all the fanfictions that have invariably some way, some how already covered every possible story line she could even use in another book lol

She could have a decades long love affair between Snape and Moaning Myrtle and she'd still be copying off a fan.

Gretchen Samantha wrote: "How about all the fanfictions that have invariably some way, some how already covered every possible story line she could even use in another book lol

She could have a decades long love affair bet..."

Maybe but I think the only people who read fanfiction are the writers of it. There is nothing new under the sun for that matter for anyone to create originally.

Danielle I wouldn't mind reading into more of Dumbledore's backstory. Or possibly a prequel on the entire series. But hey, we still get some of that information from Pottermore, at least.

message 9: by Bruce (last edited Sep 26, 2012 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bruce I think a prequel could be cool. Go back in time when Dumbledore fought the big wizard and won the wand...what was that all about? More stuff about Albus, his sister, what Hogwarts was, etc. End it when V comes along.

message 10: by Gretchen (last edited Sep 26, 2012 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gretchen The thing I don't like about a prequel is that I have yet to see a good one. Look at a film for example, Star Wars, fans were desperate for more, however, most of the people who grew up watching Star Wars can't stand the newer three movies.
I think a prequel about Dumbledore or how Tom Riddle became Voldemort would be the same.

Danielle Gretchen wrote: "The thing I don't like about a prequel is that I have yet to see a good one. Look at a film for example, Star Wars, fans were desperate for more, however, most of the people who grew up watching St..."

yeah, you have a good point. but i think the fact she would be writing it, and had it all planned out from the beginning would make it so much better. but i can understand why people would be so mad if it didn't come out how they expected it to.

Samantha The Escapist Gretchen wrote: "The thing I don't like about a prequel is that I have yet to see a good one. Look at a film for example, Star Wars, fans were desperate for more, however, most of the people who grew up watching St..."

I don't think it would, George Lucas is a special case because he was surrounded by a collaberative effort on the first three but he was the only one who gained fame from it. Fast forward years later his name is HUGE and no one wants to question his supposed genius on the making of the next three. If you watch behind the scenes footages of the prequels the other people look scared to even talk when he's talking.

Rowling wouldn't be the same as George Lucas since she's really the only one writing the books in the first place. She didn't blunder into success with the help of a big group.

Anyway Graceling and Fire are a good example of a successful prequel but few have read them (DO!! they're so good!)

x-men first class was a great prequel (and more along the lines of what it would be for HP, an earlier generation going through the same thing as the main present day characters) The Godfather II was a prequel, also did you know the Good the Bad and the Ugly was set before a Fistful of Dollars?

Lets go even further, into the territory of unwanted or unwarranted prequels with Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I hated the idea from day 1 and though I haven't seen it yet you can't argue with its reception.

Also Gretchen: I was just joking about the fan fiction, she's not legally implicated if she happens to write the same story a fan did, I just think it's hilarious that at least one person in the world will probably get to say the wrote it first.

message 13: by R (last edited Sep 27, 2012 06:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

R Gretchen wrote: "In anticipation of her new book and the countless interviews and media that are surrounding Rowling. The L.A Times is reporting via the BBC that Rowling has said that she is open to a new HP book. ..."

Hehe , funny how things are , I am completely against a sequel (a next generation book about Teddy and Al and so on) and would be interested in a Marauders Era book or a Tom Riddle turns into Voldemort book.

message 14: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni I want to read Rita Skeeter's book on Dumbledore, personally.

Luna Belle Pris There was a news feed two days ago on CNN specifically stating JK is Done writing Harry Potter.

IF she did write another it would be fun to read about other students during Harry' s time and see their perspectives like Luna Lovegood, Neville or Ginny. Maybe a Fred and George Spinoff! I often wondered what those two were up to.... it must have been good.