Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > One listing of book w/cover, One w/o cover

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Hi,
I was added to GR by my readers, but there was no cover pix, however there are reviews etc, so I don't want to lose those.

I joined as author and uploaded cover pix, but on that spot, there aren't reviews etc. How can I join to the two places where it's viewed. And if I can't, how can I get a cover onto my "reviewed" site. Thanks LA

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments Editions combined and cover added

message 3: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Paula, thank you so much. I know little about GR yet, are you a librarian? What do Librarian's do besides fix our issues?

Thank you again. ~L.A.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments GR is a great place, yes I am a librarian, we work to ensure that books have correct data and conform to GR policies and practices. We can also make corrections to quotes/triva and quizes.

We are all volunteers (except for the GR Employees of course who can also do these things).

GR authors have limited librarian rights over their own books

Further info on librarians can be found here

http://www.goodreads.com/help/search?...

message 5: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Paula, I have a new cover and need to change my old one. Please advise. And do you know what size is best?
Thank you Leslie Ann

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 224 comments L.A. wrote: "Paula, I have a new cover and need to change my old one. Please advise. And do you know what size is best?
Thank you Leslie Ann"

Hello,

If the new cover is different from the previous one then an Alternate Cover Edition must be created and then combined with the original work.

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 25, 2012 11:38AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments @L.A., do you still need help creating alternate cover edition? We can use cover file from a nonbookseller url/link if you want to just post the link (not from amazon, Barnes and Noble or such sites). Or, you can edit your profile and upload a local file to your photos. (Once book cover added, you can delete file from your photos if wanted). Just let us know.

I'm not sure about file or image size specs as goodreads just resizes uploaded cover images based on its own algorithm; I wouldn't downgrade an image file unless we came back to you and said we needed to change it to get it to upload. If you have file in more than one size/quality, you can upload both to your profile to make sure you are satisfied with; delete the one you don't want and then let us know you are ready to have cover created from. I believe just under 500 pixels is the largest images will display most areas of goodreads unless clicked to expand.

Once alternate cover edition s created—recently authors were given a feature to let them set which edition is the primary edition so that's something you may want to do. (Primary means what cover/edition shows on your author page, non-isbn specific searches, etc. The info on authors having access to that feature that I know of is a pithy paragraph at http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... ).

The reason goodreads doesn't change covers is because the old one did exist and likely got shelved by a member. Some members/readers are very particular about shelving exactly the covers they own or wishlisted.

message 8: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Debbie R. wrote: "@L.A., do you still need help creating alternate cover edition? We can use cover file from a nonbookseller url/link if you want to just post the link (not from amazon, Barnes and Noble or such ..."

I'm going to try the add photo, then delete other photo first, then we'll see. Thank you!

message 9: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Debbie R. wrote: "@L.A., do you still need help creating alternate cover edition? We can use cover file from a nonbookseller url/link if you want to just post the link (not from amazon, Barnes and Noble or such ..."

I added the new photo to my profile. Now what? Do you use it to change the cover?

message 10: by Traveling Diva (last edited Nov 27, 2012 01:28AM) (new)

Traveling Diva (travelingdiva) | 372 comments L.A. wrote: "I added the new photo to my profile. Now what? Do you use it to change the cover?"

First, read the above posts which clearly explain that we cannot change the cover for your published editions. We can create a new edition with the alternate cover. Is all the other information the same? Is the cover for only the Kindle or also the paperback? Does the paperback have the same ISBN, publisher, publishing date, etc.?

I created the new Kindle edition here, but it would be great if you could provide the publisher and published date for it
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

message 11: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Sartor | 20 comments Traveling Diva wrote: "L.A. wrote: "I added the new photo to my profile. Now what? Do you use it to change the cover?"

First, read the above posts which clearly explain that we cannot change the cover for your published..."

I guess I understood that, but the cover has been changed everywhere else the book is available, so I'm a bit confused why it can't easily be done here. However, you've put up the new cover pix and I'll go into the information and see how I can add the publisher (me) and the date. I appreciate your help
LA

message 12: by L.A. (new)

Apparently Travling Diva has it up, but now I need to add the publisher info and the date published. Do I need to combine editions?

I'm not sure at all what we'd do without you guys.

message 13: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 28, 2012 05:05PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments I think I gotcha L.A.; you just now need to select which bookcover you want to use as "primary edition"

Directions at http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/31...

Or http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 14: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 28, 2012 05:16PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments L.A. wrote: "....Ibut the cover has been changed everywhere else the book is available, so I'm a bit confused why it can't easily be done here...."

Uhmmm...amazon links do show both your green cover and the gray cover (wasn't sure if I should mention in case adds to the confusion and amazon's not, unfortunately something goodreads librarians can help you with; Barnes and Noble does not show any cover images.)