Help For Writers discussion

Help

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Rowbotham (RowieJr) | 2 comments I recently started about my 18th attempt at writing a book on a dystopian future and have written a sort of back ground information. I have had a couple friends read it and they liked it and want me to write the book itself but I'm still not sure myself, writing is the only thing I lack confidence in myself for, and was wondering if you could read what I have and let me know if you think it would be a good story? I understand that anything can be a good story if it is written properly but i would still like someone with experience's point of view. This would be a great help for me.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina Foster | 134 comments Mod
I can't read the entire thing,(I have lots of other work to do), but maybe the opening scene. Where is it posted? You need to include the link.

message 3: by Tina (new)

For starting a story, it helps to start with an outline of the story or plot.

Ask yourself, What does this character want? What is his goal in life? Why can't he have what he wants? This creates conflict. What does he have to do to get it? This creates drama.

What other obstacles are in his way, that keep him from achieving his goal? the stakes should gradually get higher. This creates tension and keeps the reader reading.

Does he finally get what he wants in the end? If not, why not?

If you ask these questions for each of your main characters, and maybe a couple of secondary characters, then you have the basis for an outline. Check for holes in your plot. Once you have a basic direction, then you start fleshing out those scenes and set the stage for your characters to move about.

Keep in mind, nothing is written in stone. Sometimes things change and your characters take off in different directions than you first intended. But you have to make sure their motivation for what they do is believeable to the reader.

I hope this helps.

Tina Foster
Author of four books on writing.
www.amazon.com/author/fostertina.

message 4: by Terry (new)

Terry Rowbotham (RowieJr) | 2 comments http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

This is the link, it's not much but any sort of help would be appreciated

message 5: by Tina (new)

I left my comments below your story.

Best of luck in your writing endeavors.