sistv bookworms discussion

new contemporary book list recommendations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
put em in here.
if we get enough in the next few days, a new poll can be started for this month :)

message 2: by Renae (last edited Feb 08, 2009 10:11AM) (new)

Renae (RenaeClark) | 58 comments How about Sarah's Key?

message 3: by *Lee* (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:46AM) (new)

*Lee* Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth (I'd like to read that one again!)

message 4: by *Lee* (last edited Feb 08, 2009 01:05PM) (new)

*Lee* Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments I'm going to suggest the Thirteenth Tale again and maybe The Somnambulist
Hmm...other books on my 'to read' list are: What Was Lost, The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death, and maybe a memoir if anyone knows a good one?

message 6: by Renae (new)

Renae (RenaeClark) | 58 comments This has received great reviews . . . I just started it today.

Tomato Girl

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara | 13 comments One that I highly recommend is Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. I read it with my local book group and I was fully expecting to find it unbearably depressing. It does have some very sad parts, but there was a lot of hope in it, too. It ended up being one of my favorite reads of 2008 (tied with The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which was just charming.)
Some of the books on my to-read list are : Water for Elephants, The Thirteenth Tale, Eva Moves the Furniture, The Time Traveler's Wife, Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes, Schulyer's Monster: A Father's Journey with His Wordless Daughter by Robert Rummel-Hudson and The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Uh, guess I got carried away. sorry.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara | 13 comments Oh! I forgot that at the top of my to-read list is The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I'd like to watch the new TV series, but I'd really like to read the books, first.

message 9: by Renae (new)

Renae (RenaeClark) | 58 comments I've wanted to read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agencyfor a while now. I didn't know there was a tv series.

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) Here are some more to add to the list:
The Book of Air and Shadows, Michael Gruber
The Powerbook, Jeanette Winterson
The Magician's Assistant, Ann Patchett
The Scandal of the Season, Sophie Gee
Sweetheart Season, Karen Joy Fowler
The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory
Garden Spells, Sarah Addison Allen
The Likeness, Tana French
Eat Pray Love, Elizabeth Gilbert

I just pulled some random titles from my to-read shelves. I'm seeing lots of stuff I'm excited about.

message 11: by Debra (new)

Debra | 7 comments The secret life of bees
The 19th wife
Bel Canto

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara | 13 comments Renae, I've heard it's going to be on HBO starting sometime in March. It's produced by the BBC and I think the pilot might have aired in the UK already.

message 13: by Ashley Wren (new)

Ashley Wren | 21 comments Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close -Jonathan Safran

Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive

Girlhood - Jennifer Traig

The secret life of bees- Sue Monk Kidd

Eleanor Rigby - Douglas Coupland

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) Oh I absoutely adored Water for Elephants. You ladies must read it!

I'm gonna only throw in one because there's a helluva list here already, and go with Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed.

message 15: by Steph (new)

Steph | 3 comments I've got to add in 'The Shadow of the Wind'. One of the most amazing books I've ever read.

message 16: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) Ashley wrote:

Eleanor Rigby - Douglas Cou..."

SUCH a great book -- you HAVE to read this if you haven't yet!

message 17: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
okay ladies. thankyou so much for your suggestions!
there are always so many, i never feel like i have to put any of my own in.
the poll is up on the homepage :)