You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > March Book Nominations - NOW CLOSED!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Time to nominate your chosen books for March. Our theme is children's books. If you lead last month then it is up to you whether or not you choose to nominate this month.

If you can give me

The title, the author

Brief description of the book

and whether or not you would be happy to lead the discussion.

That would be great :)

One nomination per person please. Thank you!

You have 3 days to nominate!

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Feb 08, 2009 07:45AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Redwall, Brian Jacques

As the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey bask in the glorious Summer of the Late Rose, all is quiet and peaceful. But things are not as they seem. Cluny the Scourge, the evil one-eyed rat warlord, is hell-bent on destroying the tranquility as he prepares to fight a bloody battle for the ownership of Redwall. This dazzling story in the Redwall series is packed with all the wit, wisdom, humor, and blood-curdling adventure of the other books in the collection, but has the added bonus of taking the reader right back to the heart and soul of Redwall Abbey and the characters who live there.

I am happy to lead the discussion.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Journey to the River Sea, by Eva Ibbotson

The girls in Maia's class told her what to expect when she reached the Brazilian jungle. "There are huge mosquitoes which bite you. You turn as yellow as a lemon and then you die." But Maia, an orphan, can't wait to start the long sea voyage. She is to begin a new life with relatives she has never met, a thousand miles up the Amazon river. And Maia's classmates could never, even in their wildest dreams, imagine the adventures that await her on the shores of the River Sea.

I am happy to lead the discussion.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Catherine called Birdy by: Karen Cushman

Can you imagine anything more boring than a life stuck inside a castle, embroidering until your fingers are numb, and watching the world pass by outside? This is the life that Birdy, a young noblewoman of the twelfth century, records in her journal: the tedium of a ladylike life. Tedious, that is, until her father decides it's time for her to wed.

I am happy to lead the discussion, but I've never done it before.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit

I'll lead..

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

I'll lead..

message 7: by Jo (last edited Feb 11, 2009 08:28AM) (new)

Jo (Jo_Wales) | 62 comments The Owl Service by Alan Garner

Set in a Welsh valley where the local mythology has a massive influence on the events of the presnet time. This book combines a very modern and rechable style with some great mystical happenings.
In summary: A family arrives on holiday in the valley. The daughter gets ill and hears strange noises from abover her head, after investigation she finds a dinner servcie in the attic wich has elaborate owls painted on it. The owls have a strange effect on what is going on in the family.
It's a stunning, sparsely written and fast-paced read, underscored with a creepy, scary atmosphere that could well put you off family holidays in Wales for ever.

I am happy to lead unless someone else volunteers!

message 8: by Cecily (last edited Feb 11, 2009 01:50PM) (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Lord of the Flies because I believe it gives thought-provoking insight into childood, adolescence and humanity.

My motives for nominating are partly selfish too: I'm ashamed never to have read it and my son will soon read and study it for GCSE.

If it's picked, I'll give leading a go (unless anyone else wants to).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.