TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cult Series > Dollhouse

Comments Showing 1-50 of 294 (294 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Premiers this Friday, 9 PM ET, on Fox. It may be interesting and has potential. I'll give it a try but programs like this generally don't do well on network TV.

From fox.com:
Joss Whedon, creator of groundbreaking cult favorites "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Firefly," returns to television and reunites with fellow "Buffy" alumna Eliza Dushku for a thrilling new drama, DOLLHOUSE.
ECHO (Dushku) is an "Active," a member of a highly illegal and underground group who have had their personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas. Confined to a secret facility known as the "Dollhouse," Echo and the other Actives including SIERRA (Dichen Lachman, "Neighbours") and VICTOR (Enver Gjokaj, "The Unit") carry out engagements assigned by ADELLE (Olivia Williams, "X-Men: The Last Stand," "Rushmore"), one of the Dollhouse leaders. The engagements cater to the wealthy, powerful and connected, and require the Actives to immerse themselves in all manner of scenarios - romantic, criminal, uplifting, dangerous, comical and the occasional "pro bono" good deed.
After each scenario, Echo, always under the watchful eye of her handler BOYD (Harry Lennix, "Commander in Chief," 24), returns to the mysterious Dollhouse where her thoughts, feelings and experiences are erased by TOPHER (Fran Kranz, "Welcome to the Captain"), the Dollhouse's genius programmer. Echo enters the next scenario with no memory of before. Or does she?
As the series progresses, FBI Agent PAUL SMITH (Tahmoh Penikett, "Battlestar Galactica") pieces together clues that lead him closer to the Dollhouse, while Echo stops forgetting, her memories begin to return and she slowly pieces together her mysterious past.
Produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Mutant Enemy Inc., DOLLHOUSE revolves around Echo's blossoming self-awareness and her desire to discover her true identity. But with each new engagement, comes a new memory and increased danger inside and outside the Dollhouse.

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli I've been waiting awhile it seems (due to the strike) for this one to come out. I've got high hopes for it but realistically i don't think it will do well. Darn. We'll see though.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It would do better on SciFi, but it seems as if Sci-fi Channel isn't all that interested in original series anymore.

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli I agree Jackie..... now all I think associate the SciFi channel with is my ghost shows....not that that is bad but still....

message 5: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments Friday? Man, I've already got a few Friday shows. I'm looking forward to this show. I like Eliza D. I liked her in Buffy/Angel and I like her brief but oh so good show Tru Calling.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Me too. She's the reason I'm even going to give it a chance. I have so many shows I'm involved with, it hard to find time to pick up more.

message 7: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I just hope Fox doesn't screw around and destroy it the way they did Firefly! I've been looking forward to another Joss Whedon series, and I like Eliza Dushku.

And speaking of Firefly, another show I'm looking forward to is Castle. I love Nathan Fillion.

message 8: by Holli (new)

Holli Me too Myra..I keep saying I want to watch that when the previews come on.....

message 9: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) | 105 comments Nathan - yummy.... ooh this is about Dollhouse... lol... I am in - if it is joss whedon, I will give it a shot. I am a huge fan of his. Eliza was good in Buffy, great in Tru Calling... but I am mostly on the fence with her. The rest of the cast is ho hum for me, but I will check it out even if I have to steal the remote from my hubby on Friday!!!

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It wasn't impressed with the first episode. My Own Worst Enemy was better as far as mind wiping and implanted personalities go. I give new shows 3 episodes before I decide to keep it or drop it. So far it's got a one-thumb down ranking.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Loved "Tru Calling" and took me a while to figure out where I'd seen this actress! I too am "on the fence", but will give it another try ... ;o)

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments "Tru Calling" was awesome, I was so pissed when they took that off the air! Why do they do that to the best most unique shows?

message 13: by Holli (new)

Holli I didn't even make it all the way through the first episode. It just didn't do it for me. Seemed way cheesy in parts and just did not hold my attention. Too bad too cause I really wanted to like it. Oh well.

message 14: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) I missed it on TV, but watched it online later. I didn't immediately love it, but I did like it a lot. I'll definitely watch future episodes. And it was fun seeing Amy Acker again, too!

message 15: by Jackie (last edited Feb 16, 2009 05:30PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yes, seeing 'Fred' from Angel was cool. I loved her in Angel! What's up with those scars on her face? I hope we find out soon, because I may not be tuning in for long.

message 16: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) Yes, the scars and the looks between her and that guy who works there were all very mysterious. I hope we get to find out what that's all about very soon!

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa You guys are killing me! I just know it's not going to last and if you guys who were looking forward to trying it out aren't going to stick around, there's no hope! I liked it and thought it set up who all the major players were and gave us a taste of just what all could go wrong. I thought all the teaser commercials and previews up to the pilot were disappointing. I really liked the show. It's a bit creepy seeing Eliza all spacey and happy when she doesn't have a personality. That was a bit much for me. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

message 18: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I'm on the fense. I watched it online. I didn't like the fact that the first episode seems to be a stand-alone. When I started watching it I kept scrolling down the website to see if I missed the pilot episode. It had that empty-like feeling pilots tend to have but it didn't have the explainatory feel that a pilot tends to have. I know they want us to have questions but......

message 19: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm sorry Melissa! I just really didn't like it...not even a tiny bit. :(

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I'll give it 2 more episodes before I decide. sometimes it can take a few episodes for a show to get going. So I'll just have to wait and see.

message 21: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) Did anyone watch the second episode? I enjoyed it even more than the first. Very intense. And we got to see the actor who played Badger on Firefly!

message 22: by Holli (new)

Holli My boyfriend watched the second one and I was in there while he watched it, reading my book. Still didn't do it for me...he was watching only because he thinks Eliza Dushku is hot....but he's done with it now too. I really had high hopes for this show too.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I liked the background info on "Alpha". Sets up lots of potential! We'll see how long it lasts though. I really like the Detective who's looking for the Dollhouse. I'm interested in finding out how exactly she came to be one of the dolls in the dollhouse.

message 24: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I'm not sure if it has staying power. And I'm still on the fense; not setting my DVR but if I remember and have time I will watch it online.

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The second was more interesting than the first. Alpha, that could be good. We got some answers, what happened to the doctor's face, why does Echo inplicity trust the Handler. I'm glad I didn't have to wait for 10 episodes to find out. While this episode was better than the first, it still isn't all that great.
The ratings are low for both Dollhouse and Sarah Connor, so I'm not sure how long they'll last.

message 26: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments The Alpha story line confuses me (I tend to do other things while listening to the show). Is Alpha alive but "out there" somewhere?

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yes.

message 28: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments has anyone else hung in there? I'm getting a little more intrigued by this show.

message 29: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) I watched the first two, but haven't had a chance to watch the next two yet. Soon!

message 30: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Roxy, I'm getting sucked in....I am startibg to see Echo's appeal.

peace and love,
C. xo

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm hooked, but have been from episode two where the back story was given. I'm very, very curious as to how Echo even got into the program and I'm loving all the mystery about Alpha. I'm thinking they knew eachother in "real" life? Cool stuff to me!

message 32: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments What do you think about that neighbor? That FBI agents love sick neighbor. Doesn't she seem a little to perfect or something? Possible doll?

message 33: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments roxy,

there is definitely something bizarre about neighbor...she's like a stepford wife. I didn't see first few shows but she seems like a doll from one of the earliest batch who now spies on fbi guy rather than being wiped or useless because all she can do is please. doll for sure. xo

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I got the doll vibe too. Mostly just from this episode, but I thought it was a bit odd that she noticed Echo's picture on the case file in one of the first episodes. They also keep showing that in the "previously on" clip and that usually means "big clue here". I'm really liking this show and hope it gets to stick around. I love the grrrr. arrrgh. I've missed it!

message 35: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I'm enjoying the show and certainly hope it has staying power. I don't know about the neighbor. I just know that if she is a doll designed to please, they failed miserably! If I were the FBI guy and she stalked me like she does him, I'd go into witness protection!

message 36: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments She does seem to know his schedule, huh. And always has something for him to eat! Maybe she is trying to poison him. LOL

message 37: by Jackie (last edited Mar 29, 2009 10:35AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Dollhouse is getting better and better with each episode. I see you guys were right about the neighbor being a Doll. Kudos. I'm dense, I didn't see it on my own. You girls are good!

I especially enjoyed this week's episode, I got to see more of Caroline's life; I've been wondering about that, how they got her to agree to be a Doll.
About that, do you really think they'll release them after their five year contract? I don't see how they can, how would they explain their sudden reappearance and have no memory of the five years. Worse still, is the chance that they will remember something of their time at the Dollhouse. I don't think Rossmun can take that chance. I think they'll kill them before chancing any exposure to their secrets.

I think Caroline's BF was caught too and is Alpha. It would explain why Alpha killed all the dolls except for Echo, and why Alpha seems to have an obsession with Echo. We saw the BF get shot, but I'm sure Rossmun has the resources to keep him from dying. We never did see him actually dead, unless I missed that. Even if he appeared dead, I'd still put my money on Rossmun being able to revive him.

And I really enjoyed seeing the company's people break out of their strict roles and act completely out of character. Comic relief, if nothing else.

I am intrigued more now than ever...

message 38: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I've missed the last two shows. Does anyone know if Fox has full episodes on their website? Guess I could look for myself, couldn't I!

message 39: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I'm an episode behind, just finished Man on the street...its sucking me in but confusing me. The information Echo had for the Fed guy, don't know his name, was that information the Dollhouse fed him to mislead him, gain his trust in someway or was it really information from a person "on the inside". I'm suspecting the female tech who gets little respect.

Yay fed-dude opened his eyes to sweet neighbor girl but boo that she really is a Doll, though it was perdictable.

Hmmmm....could the headlady, don't know her name either, be leaking info? She does seem to have a bit of a soft spot.

message 40: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Roxy wrote: Hmmmm....could the headlady, don't know her name either, be leaking info? She does seem to have a bit of a soft spot.

Only when she was on drugs...LOL

message 41: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) Stupid board ate my post... It does that a lot lately.

I liked that Mellie's a doll. It made perfect sense. Have her watch over Ballard, but sort of protect him almost. I like it.

Good thought on Caroline's BF being Alpha. I like that thought.

This past weeks' was really good. I liked having Echo remember things but not really know it or know why. I loved all the people tripping out on the drug. The guy that had tried to kill Echo with about how his gun's so heavy. Hilarious. How did the drug get back to the Dollhouse though and effect the techie, the boss, and Mellie? I didn't get that. And I didn't like the guy Echo was working with, but I kind of like that Rossum got him at the end. He should not be out with that drug.

I was wondering how the 5-year contract thing works too. That'll be interesting to see. How long is it that Caroline's been "missing" exactly? Have we heard?

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa It was by contact that the drug got back there. Anyone who touched anyone exposed. I thought Caroline was going on two or three years. I had the impression that she's been there awhile, but still has a long time to go. I love that Ballard has had all this contact with the dolls and didn't even know it! Victor was one of his sniches! I think it's the doctor with the scars (Amy Acker) who is sending Ballard messages through Echo. I love this show!

message 43: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It gets better with each episode.

message 44: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I thought the drug got there because the head of Rossom took it there and handed it to the Tech guy to see if he could figure out how to control it. It was obviously airborne transmission, and once he opened the test tube it would be all over the facility.

message 45: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments As for how long they've been there.....I think you can judge that based on their names. Their names are based on Military Alphabet Code.
Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
(etc.)
So Echo has been there longer then her other new friends. Alpha was the first, presumably, in that house.

message 46: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Does anyone know Victor and Melanie's designations? I only know them by their 'names' not the codes.
Sierra is pretty far down the line from Echo. I'm just wondering in what order they became dolls.

message 47: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments I think Victor is Victor
Melanie is November

message 48: by Jackie (last edited Apr 07, 2009 04:21PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments That's right! I forget, until I hear it again, LOL
So Echo has been there for quite a while.

Do you think Rossmun really lets them go after five years? I'm finding that hard to believe.

message 49: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments If Alpha really is the first in the house, then no one has hit the 5 yr mark yet.

message 50: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxy_nj) | 2775 comments This show has is so much better then it started out! Alpha revealed, sort of, and the next episode looks freaky!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6