The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

Series 7 > The Power of Three - SPOILERS AHEAD

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
Hey! WE need a discussion for this episode The Power of Three

OK so it was an interesting episode but all-in-all there wasn't much "meat" to it so to speak.

I did like that it had UNIT and the leader was Kate Stewart, daugther of the late Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart long time UNIT Commander.

We also get to see Rory's dad Brian again and he features prominantly in a few parts.

I did feel that the end was rushed a bit in trying to figure out how to end the thing. Here you have millions of these little 3 or 4 inch boxes (about the size of Rubic's Cube) all over the world that just appearied one night and for months on end they don't do anything. Then they open up and each one does something unique, some of them at this time injure people many of them do whatever unnoticed. Then they start counting down from "7". 7? What is so special about 7? Well the Doctor eventually figures it out, but it was just sort of tossed out. It was still good though.

Time for me to take a breath or two. :)

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I agreed about the rushed ending. This episode really sets us up for the Amy/Rory leaving. That part made me sad. I don't understand...there are only 4 episodes in this season? It seems like I waited weeks and weeks and weeks for the new season to begin. I also didn't understand the Kate Stewart connection. Was her father involved in previous adventures of Doctor Who? I seem to remember Martha being part of "Unit" with Doctor 10.

Karen,

Don't fear. The season is longer, this is just the first half of the season. Episode "6" is the Christmas Special, usually they do the Christmas Special as Episode "0" and then start the season in the spring or in July, but the powers that be decided to do season 10 weird and differently. The second part of the Season will be sometime in early 2013?

Kate Stewart is the daughter of Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart the long time Commander of UNIT from the Classic series. They didn't say when/how Kate got involved with UNIT (other than a way for the writers to put some kind of family connection into the chain of command at UNIT to delight long-time fans and Classic fans)

Martha Jones was with UNIT she also helped out TORCHWOOD. How she got involved hasn't been mentioned on screen, I think the Doctor and Jack Harkness put in good words for her.

message 4: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) thanks for clearing that up. I didn't start watching Doctor Who until David Tennant, and then saw some of the Chris Eccleson re-runs.

I just finished a novel which had nothing to do with the show, but had three references to Doctor Who. I loved the little joke in it that many non-Who fans might miss when a character says something like "Oh I get it, it's like the Tardis, bigger on the inside than on the outside."

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 25, 2012 03:28PM) (new)

You know for some reason something came into my mind while I was thinking about this episode. (its weird cos it hase like nothing to do with the episode) Don't you think it would be epic if there was a war in which the shadow proclamation (judoons) fought against sontaran fleets

message 6: by Maitrayee (new)

Maitrayee | 62 comments This was a great episode for the first 30 mins. It reminded me of RTD's era, which was very much of saving the Earth from the aliens. It had this emotional touch between Amy and the Doctor which I was was waiting for so long. The last 10 mins of this episode was such a complete letdown. The Sonic Screwdriver is pretty miuch Harry Potter's magic wand these days. It could have been so much more is my take on the episode.

But atleast I enjoyed thoroughly for first 30 mins!

Daniel wrote: "You know for some reason something came into my mind while I was thinking about this episode. (its weird cos it hase like nothing to do with the episode) Don't you think it would be epic if there was a war in which the shadow proclamation (judoons) fought against sontaran fleets"

It would be interesting. I'm not sure if I would call it "epic". When I first saw the Judoon in the promo for their first episode at first I thought it was a Sontaran episode, but then I saw they were larger than the Sontarans and it reminded me of the Vogons from the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy 2005 Movie. Then looking at the Vogon's again I saw it was just passing similarity as they are many times wider than the Judoon and very fat. Ah memories play tricks on you.

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 38 comments It was great to have the daughter of the Brigadier. Sometimes I wish they would do more nods to the old series. And I do like Brian but once again, I am not feeling a strong connection with the stories so far.

message 9: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) You know how those memories just nudge you to come to the surface? That's how it was when Brian first appeared. The next day I realized he is the same actor who played Mr. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies!

message 10: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments I liked this episode as they finally, finally, FINALLY had references to the Doctor's past! I've seen some of the classic episodes with the Brigadier and liked him, I was glad his daughter made an appearance! I also loved the conversation between Amy and the Doctor as they went out of UNIT hq to get some air; I can't recall the exact words they said but it was definitely touching. I loved that the Doctor also referenced K-9! <3 This episode was a mix of funny and sad.
However, I thought the ending was really rushed. That blue-electronic-girl at the hospital wasn't explained and neither was the fact that the black boxes were empty. The plot started off well, but considering all the build-up around the cubes I think the ending would've worked better as a two-parter. The end was very squiggly in terms of explanation. I am going to watch it again with my sister, who hasn't seen it yet, and I look forward to doing so; I'll get a chance to understand it better and hopefully like it more. I thought it was dramatic how the Doctor only had one heart working; what Amy did was hilarious and I kept thinking of what Martha did to Ten when the same thing happened to him. I'd love to see those scenes side-by-side!
My favourite part, though, was the Doctor and Amy's conversation, and I'm finally, at LAST, getting the feeling that Eleven is THE Doctor. It was a very comforting feeling to wake up the next day and have one of the first thoughts in my head be, "Eleven is my Doctor." Or very nearly; Ten will always be at the top for me, but I'm very glad Eleven is moving up. I dread this coming Saturday; the next time we see the Ponds will be the last! NO! :( :( :( :( :(
Overall, I'd rate this episode 4/5.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 38 comments Karen - and the bad guy was also in HP as the caretaker Fitch

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Chicken dance cube :D

message 13: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments OH yes! That was awesome!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

When Amy opened the door I'm like OH NO DON'T DO IT!!!

message 15: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments I watch so much TV and movies I'm like that every time someone opens a door.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

IKR

message 17: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (steampunk) | 774 comments I finally saw it!