Science and Inquiry discussion

Archive > Food Science

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Ivy (carolynivystein) Can we add another shelf for food science? I'm reading a book I would like to add The World of Caffeine The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug and it caused me to realize that some of my favorite books blend science, history and food.

message 2: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane Oh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE food science books.

message 3: by William (new)

William (acknud) Carolyn wrote: "Can we add another shelf for food science? I'm reading a book I would like to add [b:The World of Caffeine The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug|610151|The World of Caffeine Th..."

Done

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Ivy (carolynivystein) Thank you!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah Jane wrote: "Oh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE food science books. "

me too, which is your favorite?

I liked Sugar Blues but love 4 Blood Types, 4 Diets, Eat right for your type. I also read lots of food allergy books.

message 7: by Sarah Jane (last edited Mar 18, 2009 05:23PM) (new)

Sarah Jane I also read a really good one about gluten intolerance/sensitivity a few years back, but I can't seem to remember the name of it. It was pre-Goodreads.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have numerous books on celiac disease since I was told I have it. The best one was: Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. Does that sound familiar?

Sarah Jane wrote: "I also read a really good one about gluten intolerance/sensitivity a few years back, but I can't seem to remember the name of it. It was pre-Goodreads."

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Black | 39 comments Has anyone read Twinkie Deconstructed? It always has such mixed reviews, so I've been bypassing it, but it still sounds interesting.

message 10: by Nate (new)

Nate (gueuze) | 2 comments Tracy wrote: "Has anyone read [b:Twinkie Deconstructed|434052|Twinkie, Deconstructed My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients Found in Processed Foods Are Grown, Mined (Yes, Mined), and Manipulated Into What..."

I'm reading it now. The one thing about it is that it's written by someone with no science background - so if you have a science background, be prepared to scoff a few times. Otherwise, it's interesting.

I'll be reading a lot of food science books this summer - I'm teaching a 3-credit course on Food Chemistry this coming fall. One of my favorites so far is McGee's "On Food and Cooking" - excellent reference for any foodie.

message 12: by Dan (last edited Jun 02, 2009 07:50AM) (new)

Dan Pettus The Devil's Cup A History of the World According to Coffee was a great food, science, history book as well.