Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Off Topic (not cookbooks) Chat > Vegan Halloween trick-or-treating

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica Hi Everyone -

My older son is 3 1/2. This will be the first year that he really understands trick-or-treating. He actually seems to remember it from last year, so as we are talking about costumes he keeps bringing up the candy!

Last year was easy. He was 2, so we gave him a piece of candy that night and hid the rest (I ate the vegan stuff and his dad got the non-vegan stff). He didn't mention it again. This year will be different. He knows that he is vegan, and he knows that he can't eat things that are not vegan, but I am sure he will not think it is all that great when I am sorting through his candy and taking out 90% of it.

I plan to offer him a deal - two pieces of vegan candy for each piece of non-vegan. The problem I am having - what kind of fun vegan candy can I get? Any ideas? I want to stick will small pieces of fun candy. He LOVES chocolate, but I don't really know of any wrapped, single bite, vegan chocolate candies like they give out at Halloween. He also likes lollipops, so I will get him some dumdums or something small like that, but any other ideas? How do you other vegan parents deal with Halloween?

message 2: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I like your approach, but you should also be prepared for the potential of your son categorically not wanting you to sort though his candy hoard and taking most of it (part of the fun of Halloween is eating the candy you have picked up and received and he might rebel a bit at what he considers parental interference).

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Sep 25, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Monica, I love your deal with him.

Rainbow Grocery often has packages of single wrapped vegan chocolates. Sometimes Whole Foods does too. There are also some in the bulk bins sometimes, especially around the holidays.

naturalcandystore.com has many vegan candies:

http://www.naturalcandystore.com/cate...

including 4 pages of vegan Halloween (mostly) candies:

http://www.naturalcandystore.com/cate...

Here's a list of (some) vegan candies on the PETA site (it's NOT comprehensive):

http://www.peta.org/about/faq/Which-c...

And, I remember the "tow truck" costume from last year.

I'll post again if I find more resources.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) more:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Chocola...

http://sjaaks.com/categories/show/Hal...+ (I've gotten these at Rainbow and really like the orange ones, but the orange flavor is stronger than the chocolate, probably true of the peanut butter ones too. And they are expensive.)

http://www.godairyfree.org/product-re...

and if you feel ambitious:

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/1...

I'm sure there are more, but I hope this and the post above are helpful.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Sep 25, 2012 05:21PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, and Rainbow, in their candy section, has some little individually wrapped chocolates, but they're on the expensive side. Their bulk bin (individually wrapped) and packaged (also individually wrapped) candies are a bit less pricey.

Also, kids sometimes like BIG things, so for some of the non-vegan candies maybe you can make a deal to exchange a full size candy bar (one of the Go Max Go bars maybe; I love their Snap bars!!!) for MANY of the non-vegan candies. Whole Foods on Stanyon/Haight has the Snap bars these days, and the other Go Max Go flavors too. The Snap bars are similar to Nestle's Crunch bars.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissabalick) | 27 comments Seeing this conversation makes me think of how I can clearly never have kids. I couldn't deal with this problem. I wouldn't be happy with my kid eating a bunch of vegan candy either! It's like, Halloween is so fun -- the costumes and the going out at night and knocking on various doors and the feeling of mischief in the air. But the candy! I'd be like, "How about some frozen grapes instead?" My kid would hate me.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Melissa, You might change about that. ;-)

Also, when they get a bit older, there is trick or treating for UNICEF. I loved doing that when I was young. Of course, I liked trick or treating for candy too.

Around where I am some people give out little toys and other things other than candy.

message 8: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Melissa, You might change about that. ;-)

Also, when they get a bit older, there is trick or treating for UNICEF. I loved doing that when I was young. Of course, I liked trick or treating for cand..."

I did the UNICEF trick-or-treating as well.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissabalick) | 27 comments Yeah, but we used to still get candy when we did UNICEF. Also, sure, I *might* change my mind, but it's unlikely.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Melissa wrote: "Yeah, but we used to still get candy when we did UNICEF. Also, sure, I *might* change my mind, but it's unlikely."

Well, if you want kids but not provide them with unhealthy food, you could always create new, really fun traditions. One thing though, any kid raised any way very well might rebel, at least temporarily, especially during the teenage years. It's a teen's job to separate from parents, so most are bound to reject their parents'/family values at some point. And kids not allowed candy often sneak candy. So, there may be no ideal solution.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissabalick) | 27 comments Yeah, man, I should know. I WAS that candy-sneaking kid. Type 1 diabetic, and in the old days, they thought we couldn't have sugar. So I sneaked. And sneaked. And sneaked candy, cookies, sugar cereal. I got pretty creative about my sneaking.

If I had kids, which I will not, I think I'd have no choice but to live off the grid.

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Sep 25, 2012 08:46PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Melissa wrote: "I got pretty creative about my sneaking."

Yep, kids are brilliant.

Oh, and yes, thank goodness they've made much progress with type 1 diabetes. I knew people who had it when we were in our twenties and back then they told women to not have biological children.

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica Lisa - thanks for the links! I ordered a few things from Natural Candy store. Great idea! Since he is so young, I don't think a "big" candy bar is right for him yet. That will for sure be something I will do when he is older because that is fun! (I did order a Jokerz bar for myself. Yes, I know it has corn syrup in it. Shhhhh.)

I love Halloween, and the trick-or-treating is one of the best parts! When I was a kid it was a major drag to get an apple or raisins, or the worst - pennies! Blech. It was one of the only times we got candy. I am the same with my kids. The little one, who is almost two, has had candy twice - once when we were on vacation, and once when we went camping. The older one gets candy on special occasions, and that usually means, one lollipop, or four or five vegan jelly beans, or a 1"x1" brownie.

For Halloween, I'll do what my mom did - we each got a jar to put the candy in, and we got to pick one piece from our jar after dinner. Since my older one is only three, I will probably only give him a piece on the weekends, not every day. He eat very well and healthfully otherwise, so I am not going to freak out over some Halloween candy. It's all about moderation. Plus, all of his friends will likely be talking about their candy. It is hard enough for him to be the one with the "special" muffin, I don't want him to be the one eating Halloween Kale Chips. ha! :-) Although, he can eat nearly an entire bunch of steamed kale in one sitting, so maybe he wouldn't mind it.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Monica, Your kids eat healthier than 98% of the kids out there, so no, I wouldn't worry AT ALL about Halloween candy, or sweets on birthdays, other holidays, and special occasions. I know you've made great vegan cupcakes for birthdays, that the omnivorous children have loved just as much as the vegan children have.

Yes, when I got my favorite candies on Halloween it was pure joy and anything less than candy was a bummer. One exception was the year I was 6 and nobody was answering their doors (we were living out of state in a New Jersey apt. complex) even when we went across the street to the houses. One older guy finally answered his door and was upset that he'd forgotten it was Halloween. He had a book he'd bought for a grandchild, but he gave it to me as a Halloween treat. I LOVED it, and still own the copy: A Friend is Someone Who Likes You. It WAS better than candy.

message 15: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Monica, Your kids eat healthier than 98% of the kids out there, so no, I wouldn't worry AT ALL about Halloween candy, or sweets on birthdays, other holidays, and special occasions. I know you've ma..."

What a wonderful story and what a wonderful and thoughtful present, wow!!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula, Except for the Halloween that was my first trick or treating for UNICEF, it was my best Halloween ever, even though I think only a couple places gave me any candy.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissabalick) | 27 comments Monica wrote: " It is hard enough for him to be the one with the "special" muffin, I don't want him to be the one eating Halloween Kale Chips. ha!"

I know you were joking, but Halloween Kale Chips sound awesome to me!

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark Victor Young (markvictoryoung) | 24 comments Monica wrote: "Hi Everyone -

My older son is 3 1/2. This will be the first year that he really understands trick-or-treating... How do you other vegan parents deal with Halloween?"

Our daughter is 9 and we have always used a customized myth that I first heard about on a VRG parents forum. The story goes that if you leave a bag of candy outside your bedroom door on Hallowe'en night, the Hallowe'en witch will come in the night and exchange your bag of candy for a present. The more candy you leave, the better the present!

Into this bag went all of the crappy candy she didn't like and all the non-vegan candy we didn't like and she was left with some lollipops and bags of chips and some great toy or book. She was always super excited to see what her present would be and she didn't really mind giving up on most of her haul, because she has never really had a lot of sugary stuff and I think it kind of overloads her senses, anyway.

So there's our solution, for what it's worth. The myth of the Hallowe'en witch fit right in with the bunny, the guy in the red suit, the leprechaun and the Labour Day Coal Miner (I just made up that last one). Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Mark

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Mark, That is a great idea for any kid, not just vegan kids.

Given that we don't know ahead of time how big the trick or treat haul would be, or how much of it would be left outside the door, did you have to have a few presents ready to give?

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissabalick) | 27 comments That is outrageously brilliant, Mark. Hats off you!

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica I LOVE that idea! I am going to think about that consider starting that new tradition. I can even think of some things that the witch could bring.

And that would mean I could eat all the candy I just ordered from Natural Candy Store. :-)

message 22: by Peacegal (new)

Peacegal | 4 comments The Labor Day Coal Miner! :D

Does he leave you a dusty pickaxe and lighted helmet?

message 23: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (leekat) | 1027 comments Mod
Mark, I LOVE this idea! I may just have to implement this too. I know my daughter would love a present and a few treats in stead of a big bag of stuff she doesn't really like anyways. Oh yay, I love this group!

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark Victor Young (markvictoryoung) | 24 comments Thanks, all. Can't take credit for it - it's just one of those great ideas that keeps circulating around the veg parenting world.

Lisa - you're right that it would work for any parents. My wife has a whole bunch of kids' gifts stored away in the basement that she can haul out for any occasion, birthdays, etc. So we would just put out what seemed appropriate based on the amount of candy. We would usually do a toy and a book.

I also forgot to mention that we called her the "Switch Witch" because she switched candy for gifts.

I'm liking the dusty pickaxe idea, Peacegal, but I'm not sure we can include that under good parenting ideas. :)

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Mark, I love this too, and love the Switch Witch name. If enough parents start doing this, maybe it will become a well known tradition. And maybe people will start handing out little toys and such instead of candy. A celebrity with money used to do that near my neighborhood. One year it was those light sticks. For most people, it would be too expensive to do that. But most could do it for their own children.

message 26: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

The Switch Witch legend has already taken hold in our house. I've been pestered with questions about her and asks if she takes requests like Santa, LOL!

message 27: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "The Switch Witch legend has already taken hold in our house. I've been pestered with questions about her and asks if she takes requests like Santa, LOL!"

Maybe Maggie should write a letter to the Switch Witch, on Halloween themed paper.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "The Switch Witch legend has already taken hold in our house. I've been pestered with questions about her and asks if she takes requests like Santa, LOL!"

Lee, I love that M. has bought into this new tradition so readily, even with a few years of Halloween memories under her belt. ;-)

message 29: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I know, it's pretty funny but as soon as I mentioned the word gift, she was totally on board. She's also been negotiating about the candy and how much she gets to keep. :-)

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Lee wrote: "I know, it's pretty funny but as soon as I mentioned the word gift, she was totally on board. She's also been negotiating about the candy and how much she gets to keep. :-)"

Smart kid, that one!

message 31: by Rashida (new)

Rashida | 16 comments Mark wrote: "Monica wrote: "Hi Everyone -

My older son is 3 1/2. This will be the first year that he really understands trick-or-treating... How do you other vegan parents deal with Halloween?"

Our daughter ..."

Mark, I picked up this tip from a mom in a ladies' restroom in a department store. I'm pretty sure she wasn't vegan, she just didn't want her kid eating the candy. But it immediately struck me as brilliant. My daughter isn't old enough yet to implement it. It's great to hear a first hand account of it working out.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Such cool ideas here!

I wonder if the Labor Day Coal Miner might bring lumps of candy that LOOK like coal. Have you heard of this stuff?

http://almostunschoolers.blogspot.com...

I know, bringing candy lumps of coal would be against the parents' wishes for the kids to eat LESS candy ... but maybe the Labor Day Coal Miner is the subversive type.

message 33: by Rachel (last edited Dec 28, 2012 10:45AM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Oh, I just realized the lumps of coal listed in that blog are not vegan; recipe calls for egg whites. :( I only knew I had heard of candy lumps of coal, so googled and found the photo.

Not sure if there is a vegan version, but I'm not exactly sure when people would want to give kids this kind of candy, anyway. Perhaps as a joke in a kid's Christmas stocking? Not sure how funny it would be, unless the kid had a devilish sense of humor.

I do know I have seen candy lumps of coal for sale, so I know someone is buying them (never checked if they were vegan or not, as it was never something I wanted to buy). LOL.

But I am still intrigued by the idea of the Labor Day Coal Miner, and what he or she might leave behind for the kiddos.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Rachel, The online Natural Candy Store sells small canvas bags of vegan candy coal. I've never had it. I think it's licorice flavored.