Book Junkies discussion

HELP!! > B'day read- HELP! :)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jey (new)

Jey | 23 comments Hi,

I’m turning 20 in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to celebrate two decades by treating myself to a couple of fantastic books. The trouble is, I haven’t come across anything that appears life changing!
Hence my post. Could you guys recommend books? Everybody has read a book that made you glad you learnt the language, JUST so you could read the book, a book that makes you passionately feel that it is one of the best things that has EVER happened to you.
I’m open to any genre- childhood favourites, contemporary, historical, just.. anything. But I really want to feel wonderful after reading it. And I’m afraid that in case I choose something randomly, I might not like it, or even worse, feel ambivalent about it, and that would ruin the experience for me. :P
Sorry of this post sounds self centred.. but 20 is a big deal, you know? :P And I want it to be a bday to remember LOL.
So, what are the best books you’ve ever read? 

message 2: by Tami (new)

Tami Vogel (tami_vogel) What a cool way to celebrate your birthday! Wow - that's a tough question - so hard to recommend books to people you don't know :-)

One of my all-time favorite books when I was little was "Last of the Great Whangdoodles." http://www.amazon.com/Last-Really-Gre...

A favorite book of recent years is Barbara Kingsolver's "Prodigal Summer." Just captures the smell and feel of the outdoors and is a wonderful story.

And, if you like animals, I'd recommend anything by Richard Addams, who is best known for "Watership Down." Some of my favorites of his are "Plague Dogs," and "Shardik"

If you like non-fiction, "The Hot Zone" and "Demon in the Freezer" are fast-paced fascinating reads that read like fiction, but scarily enough are true.

You'll have to post the list of books you read here on Good Reads - I'd love to see it and add books to my own "to read" list.

Have a wonderful birthday!

message 3: by NayNay (new)

NayNay It is hard to recommend books to someone you don't know. I am an avid reader 1-2 books a day, I read just about every genre, my favorite being Historical Fiction. I will give you some ideas of books I have read, loved, and still think about long after the last page has been turned.

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares My Name is Memory by Ann Brashare this book is the ultimate love story, a love that last an eternity. And I did not want the story to end.
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank The Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank. This book continues to bring to life this young woman, who for a time survived the worst horrors the modern world had seen - and who remained triumphantly and heartbreakingly human throughout her ordeal.
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is a story about what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. The author takes a real-life subject and handles it with grace, and sensitivity.
North and South (North and South, #1) by John Jakes North and South by John Jakes....WOW
Nefertiti by Michelle Moran Nefertiti by Michelle Moran is just a great novel full of love, betrayal, political unrest, and religious conflict—it brings ancient Egypt to life in vivid detail.
The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley is a wonderfully imaginative tale with true love, and time travel it was fascinating.
Mariana by Susanna Kearsley Mariana by Susanna Kearsley after reading this book I wanted to have a past-life, this one touches the heart.

Good Luck, Happy Birthday, and Happy Reading ^-^

message 4: by Hannah (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:49PM) (new)

Hannah (faize) | 1090 comments Mod
Happy birthday, Jey!!

My favorite books are Blindness by José Saramago The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson The Road by Cormac McCarthy A Step from Heaven by An Na A Swift Pure Cry by Siobhan Dowd The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

And if you don't mind starting a series, I'd recommend Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden .

Hope I helped!

message 5: by Hannah (last edited Sep 25, 2012 10:00PM) (new)

Hannah (faize) | 1090 comments Mod
Oh!! And, if you like manga, here is some of the best manga I've read:

Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1) by Bisco Hatori Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 (Fruits Basket, #1) by Natsuki Takaya Love*Com (Lovely*Complex), Volume 1  by Aya Nakahara Death Note, Vol. 1 Boredom (Death Note, #1) by Tsugumi Ohba Battle Angel Alita, Volume 1 Rusty Angel (Battle Angel Alita (Graphic Novels)) by Yukito Kishiro Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1 (Absolute Boyfriend, #1) by Yuu Watase Otomen, Vol. 1 (Otomen, #1) by Aya Kanno

message 6: by Jey (new)

Jey | 23 comments Guys, thank you all SO much for the awesome suggestions! I decided on The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak .
I've added a lot of the other recommendations to my TBR list- and I just KNOW that I might be depressed everytime I look at the length of that lol.

Cheers! =D

message 7: by Kyla (new)

Kyla | 96 comments Happy Birthday! What a great idea as a bday present!

Just like above, it's hard to recommend books to someone I don't know, but here's some that have stuck with me:

I also have to nominate My Name's Memory My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares , the idea of the love story is something I have never read before. As far as I know it's a stand alone book (no sequels as of yet) and you just yearn to know what happens next.
Another book I read when I was in college, The Egyptian by Mika Waltari The Egyptian by Mika Waltari it was publised in the 1940's and was condemned (not exactly sure why) although it is hands down the best historical fiction novel I have ever read! I still think about to this day. It's about an Egyptian man who studies to become the pharoah's surgeon.

A book I recently read was Never Let Me Go Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro it definitely made me think twice about modern medicine and as "oh my goodness, What if?!" alot! Incredible story and different!

Hope you find some terrific books for your birthday!

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle To Kill A Mockingbird has always held a special place in my heart To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I have also found an author who constantly blows me away with the topics she picks because the "answers" are never black and white and really make you think. So I would recommend any book by Jodi Picoult (I have read My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes and The Pact).

Happy Birthday!