Perspective Plus discussion

Plus Sized Books > Women En Large

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 1031 comments Mod
B&W photo essays of large women. Stemming from a lecture series with slide show about feminism and being a large sized woman. Truly wonderful and beautifully done.

message 2: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (last edited Oct 04, 2012 08:17AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 1031 comments Mod
I wrote the authors and got a response!

On 9/25/12 I sent this email:

I just read this fatastic book over the weekend. I started a discussion/support/advocacy group 2 years ago on goodreads.com called Perspective Plus. It started out as a kinda blog for me and now I have 20 members plus myself . Your book came to my attention via a member who wrote her own book based on her blog. She mentioned the book "Fat!So?" and upon reading that recently, I found your book. Wow. I decided a while ago to stop being afraid of cameras and I have begun to let go of my imposed fears about seeing myself for what I am and not who I am. It has taken me a long time to accept myself for the beautiful woman I truly am, the fact that I will always be a larger sized human, but that I can and am a healthy person. ( I swim 1 mile a week and have been a vegetarian for 20 years). I was blown away by your book and I hope that you and Debbie are still doing the lecture/slide show. I hope that you will come to the Cleveland, OH area if you are, as I would love to see one in person. I would also love to be considered for any more slide shows or books you may do in the future. I can't come to you in C.A., but if you are ever out my way, I hope that I may be able to be of help.
>
> Thank you for this book and your slide show lecture that led to it. We need more positive images out there. If you are so inclined, you are welcome to join us on goodreads in our group. A fresh voice is always welcome as are fat positive authors.
>
> Have fatabulous day!
>
> Kim F., fan in Cleveland, OH

Today I got this response:

Dear Kim,

Sorry to be so long in replying. I was on vacation and mostly out of email touch.

I really appreciated hearing from you. It sounds like you're doing seriously good work with your group.

The book was made especially for people like you, so your email was very special. Deb and I are not doing many presentations right now. We have a blog called Body Impolitic [see resources section for link] that deals with body images issues in the broadest sense. It has a good audience and much of our social change work (besides photography projects) is done there.

If we are in your part of the world we'll get in touch and try to arrange something.

Very best wishes.

Laurie

PS I've been doing some Skype guest talks. If you'd like to something like that at some point let me know.

To which I replied:

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I am going to post a link to your blog on our group page. I would love to hear from you any time you are in my area. I wish I could Skype, but I don't have that kind of access with my computer. . If that changes or if one of my friends can help me, I would most assuredly be interested. Please keep me in mind for future involvement and again, thank you both for putting such a wonderful book out there.

Kim
>

And yes, I meant every word I said about wanting to be a part of their project. I believe in leading by example and I am wiling to do this. I just need access to Skype.....