Southern Belles and Beaus discussion

New Orleans lovers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Abbey | 3 comments For all New Orleans lovers, I highly recommend Louis Maistros' new novel The Sound of Building Coffins, set in the city at the turn-of-the-century. It's a magical tale that many are saying is the best New Orleans novel since The Confederacy of Dunces.

message 2: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy Hey Sheryl,

Have you been to New Orleans? I've been about 3 or 4 times. Just love it!

message 3: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Abbey | 3 comments Yes, I was there once and loved it. It's a really fascinating place. That was before Katrina...now I imagine it's even more interesting and people have had to reinvent themselves yet again...

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments Thanks for the recommendation - I will check this book out. New Orleans is my favorite literary city. I have been there five times post-Katrina, and I recommend you revisit the city. They lost a lot of tourist dollars because people assumed everything was in a terrible state, but this is not the case city-wide. They need the tourist money to come back in, and although you can still see some damage, you will find so many wonderful things still intact. I noticed it was considerably more crowded on my last visit in October 2008. It's like no other city in America, and all my favorite books are set there. The magic is still there!

message 5: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Abbey | 3 comments Glad to hear the "magic" is still there. Hope to get back sometime soon. FYI: just found out the author has created a discussion forum, which includes topics about literary New Orleans as well as The Sound of Building Coffins. Enjoy:
http://louismaistros.proboards.com

message 6: by Blair (last edited Feb 15, 2009 01:37PM) (new)

Blair (BlairKilpatrick) | 4 comments I just ordered this book--can't wait to read it! I've been following this book/author for awhile. First became aware because we have the same literary agent and now, coincidentally, have ended up getting published at almost the same time. "The Sound of Building Coffins" has been getting some great reviews!

I love New Orleans. It's where the story I tell in my own book, "Accordion Dreams: A Journey into Cajun and Creole Music" first got started.

I'll be going to Louisiana in April in connection with some book launch events. It will be my first time back in New Orleans since Katrina.

Blair Kilpatrick

www.blairkilpatrick.com

message 7: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy Sheryl wrote: "Glad to hear the "magic" is still there. Hope to get back sometime soon. FYI: just found out the author has created a discussion forum, which includes topics about literary New Orleans as well as T..."

Fabulous! I ordered the book last week. Can't wait to read it.

message 8: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Hernandez We live on the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain. New Orleans has become one of my all-time fave cities. Lately I have been reading more fiction set in NOLA and non-fiction books about the city.

NOLA has changed since Katrina, but is getting better every day.

message 9: by Blair (new)

Blair (BlairKilpatrick) | 4 comments Just back from a weeklong book tour in Louisiana for Accordion Dreams. Had a wonderful time! Was thrilled to get my first real newspaper review in the New Orleans Times Picayune :-)

Blair

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie (goodreadscombodacioustchr) | 2 comments I love stories set in the New Orleans area since I live so close. I live in Biloxi. Most of the books I read are set in Regency England or Civil War south. New Orleans history is a great place to start any story.