Bookaholic Anonymous discussion

General Discussions > Portrayal of Teenagers in YA books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (last edited Sep 25, 2012 06:15AM) (new)

Nitzan Schwarz (nitzanafterwords) | 671 comments Mod
Young Adult book are about teenagers, but what do you think of the way they're usually portrayed?

Thanks to Ishita for suggesting the topic!

message 2: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (weirdtalkingdragon) | 50 comments I personally feel that teenagers are sometimes not portrayed realistically. Either they're shown was total badasses, or people who're perfect. (view spoiler).
I'll give a more lengthy answer after my exams :)

message 3: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

Haha, okay Ishita.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I like it when the characters feel real, and curses and even sex are part of the teenager life.

message 4: by Envy (new)

Envy Fisher | 22 comments Ever read The Alchemyst?
The main characters are fifteen years old, and the things they do and experience could easily shatter their minds. I re-read the series a little while ago and thought: 'I'm sixteen and I would go crazy! How can they be so... not freaked-out?!'
It became unrealistic how easily they adapted to the new things they discovered. Sure, they were confused, but the challenges they overcame were a little too much for fifteen year old kids. They were superhumans in the way they reacted. They did things a normal grown-up wouldn't be able to do under the given circumstances.
These characters were just unrealistic to me.

message 5: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

Anne wrote: "Ever read The Alchemyst?
The main characters are fifteen years old, and the things they do and experience could easily shatter their minds. I re-read the series a little while ago and thought: 'I'm..."

A lot of books have that problem; too quick an adaption to the new situation, or reaction unrealistic in comparison to their age.
BUT, if a book's good enough I can ignore it. If not...

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I think that the teenagers in YA Fiction are often given far more complicated issues than adults. Many's a time where I have been reading a YA book, and thought..."Wait a minute, this is a 15-year-old's problem?! I have never come across a problem like that, and I am 25!"