We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Member's Questions > Age Appropriate

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments I need to know if the Twilight books are age appropriate for a 12 year old? My daughter desperately wants to read them. I my self have no desire to read them, but thinking I may have to if no one can help me with this.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! hahahaha

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Heidi, I know lots of 12 year olds have read it, but the question is do you want YOUR 12 year old reading it, and only you can answer that.

Me? I'd have no problem allowing my 12 year old to read it.

message 3: by Lisa Kay (last edited Sep 25, 2012 10:40PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments First, let me say I don't have children. If I did, I would NOT have a problem with my 12 year old reading the first in the series. However, I would not let them read Breaking Dawn. Actually, I wish I hadn't read it.

message 4: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (sunny2) | 16 comments I have read the series. It is not the sex that would worry me because it is toned down alot but I would worry about the violence. Even the first book, Twilight, had a pretty goory broken mirror scene with a lot of angst and blood and injury.

The only compromise I can think of is for you to read it to her. Skip ahead and sensor where you think it needs it. That way you can talk about stuff together that will affect her young life in the next couple of years.

She may at first balk, but if she finds out that is the only way they will be in your home once you start you both may find it a very precious time together.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "First, let me say I don't have children. If I did, I would NOT have a problem with my 12 year old reading the first in the series. However, I would not let them read Breaking Dawn. Actually, I w..."

See this is what I was afraid of. She is very sensitive and take so much to heart. I just don;t want her read something that will get stuck in her head ya know what I'm saying? I may have to get them and read them w/o her knowing or just be that mean mom that makes her wait!

Wold still love to hear anymore input that anyone may have in regard to this.

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Heidi wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "First, let me say I don't have children. If I did, I would NOT have a problem with my 12 year old reading the first in the series. However, I would not let them read Breaking Daw..."

Heidi wrote: "I need to know if the Twilight books are age appropriate for a 12 year old? My daughter desperately wants to read them. I my self have no desire to read them, but thinking I may have to if no one c..."

The book with the most "romance" in it is the last of the series because it's the honeymoon scene and it includes *gasp* sex, but not in any great detail. My daughter read it at 12 before I read it. I let her due to my sister-in-law's endorsement that it was okay. She's extremely conservative and extremely religious. I came to find out later she didn't read the books. I don't know if I would have let her read the last book if I'd known about the love scene, they are pretty tame by romance standards, but if I were you, I'd check out the last book and find the one chapter on the honeymoon and decide for yourself. BTW A friend of mine went through with a black marker and inked out the parts she deemed inappropriate. She may have actually glued some pages together. I personally could never do that to a book, but if you have a thrift store nearby, you might be able to pick a copy up for around a dollar.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments I'm thinking she will have to wait another 4 years or so before I allow her to read them. hahahaha

It's so hard to find books for this age that are appropriate, that will keep her interested in read them.

If anyone has suggestions I would great appreciate them!

message 8: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Heidi, there are a few YA groups here on GR and I bet you'd find lots of good recommendations there. I know some of the YA authors hang out in those groups, too.

Just a thought. Good luck!

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments The thing that I really objected to was not so much the sex (which, though tame, IMHO I think is too much for a 12 year-old) as the pregnancy . Talk about scaring a poor young girl to death! Pretty gross; could leave a lasting impression.

message 10: by Joeera (last edited Sep 28, 2012 07:55PM) (new)

Joeera  | 254 comments Heidi i don't have any kids but i loved reading these books when i was younger. I think that these books could be read by girls between (12-17).

The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) by Carolyn Keene

I still have the whole series i used to love reading these books.

Dangerous Love (Sweet Valley High, #6) by Francine Pascal

loed this series

I used to love reading thses as well and i also have a whole collection of them.

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery

this series a must read for any young girl. I have a couple of them as well.

Ruby (Landry, #1) by V.C. Andrews

these were good boks as well . If I Stay (If I Stay #1) by Gayle Forman

Firelight (Firelight, #1) by Sophie Jordan

message 11: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 392 comments Heidi wrote: "I'm thinking she will have to wait another 4 years or so before I allow her to read them. hahahaha

It's so hard to find books for this age that are appropriate, that will keep her interested in r..."

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins
Dystopian trilogy. A little violent but because it's in book form it's more bearable. Romance is pretty innocent. My son couldn't watch the movie, but had no issues with the book. He read it at 11.

Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie
Dystopian trilogy with innocent romance.

The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong
The Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong has lots of supernatural creatures and its been a while since I read it, but I believe it was pretty tame. I let my daughter read it at 13 and she loved it.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments I wouldn't say the V.C. Andrews books are age appropriate...there's lots of abuse and incest in them.

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 469 comments I learned all about sex and stuff from books. I started reading at 10 and I think it was educational for me. My mom wouldn't tell me anything! Of course books weren't quite as explicit back in the 70s. Only book I remember my mom forbidding me to read was Alyx and I read it anyway. hehe. Of course I wish I hadn't read it now. I haven't read the Twilight series but I do have a 12 yr old. She doesn't like to read but does like Kate O'Hearn's Pegasus books.

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments OMG I used to read the Sweet Valley High books, forgot about them. Maybe she would like them. Thanks girls! I just wanna keep her innocent as long as possible, and I know that is IMPOSSIBLE in today world!