Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Looking for Recs: Genre/Theme > Looking for: Some good Halloween-ish Romances?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Reuben (alysonreuben) | 28 comments Well, here we are - rushing into fall. I can't believe how chilly it's become here in my part of Indiana already! I guess it's natural that my thoughts have turned to autumn decorations, fall foods, and Halloween. While I always watch scary movies at Halloween, I've never actually made an effort to read specific Halloween books. I know - silly right? Especially since I always read Thanksgiving and Christmas books during their holiday season. You'd think I'd naturally read creepy or fun-creepy books at All Hallows Eve, too.

So, besides participating in the October reading challenge, I'm compiling a new Halloween list. Anybody have any recommendations?

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments A Skeleton at Her Door by E. Ayers was sweet. AnneOK recommended this to me last year and I quite liked it.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) by Amanda Stevens has a bunch of ghosts and such. Just finished it and it was pretty good.

message 4: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Reuben (alysonreuben) | 28 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "A Skeleton at Her Door by E. Ayers was sweet. AnneOK recommended this to me last year and I quite liked it."

Thanks, Lisa! I added it to my list. I like the cover. ;)

message 5: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Reuben (alysonreuben) | 28 comments Hmm, it looks interesting, Pamela! Added it to my list. Thanks!

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Oh, yes, Pamela! I loved that book. So much so that I used my audible.com credits to get the rest of the series. Very well narrated! I just need to get back to it. **sigh**

message 7: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments The Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens gets my vote, too. And there will be three more books in the coming year. Yay!

Alyson, are you looking for more dark, paranormal/thriller type books, or are lighter paranormal books also acceptable? If you like 'em funny and steamy, I recommend the Psychic Witch and Triplet Witch trilogies by Annette Blair. They are connected series, and the last of the Triplet Witch books even takes place at Samhain (Halloween).

message 8: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Reuben (alysonreuben) | 28 comments Heather, will you think I'm crazy if I say that the type of Halloween theme I want will depend on what mood I'm in when I reach for a book? Ha! Seriously, I'm up for reading either kind. I'll check out Annette's books. Thanks!

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Yeah, I'm a moody reader, too!

message 10: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Makes perfect sense to me, Alyson. Sometimes you feel like something light and comedic, sometimes you want something a bit dark. And sometimes you can't make up your mind what you're in the mood for, LOL.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I added both of these to my TBR list, they each sound interesting in different ways!

message 12: by Marijayne (new)

Marijayne Stegman (mjsquirrelgirl) Shanna Swendson has a series of fun romantic comedies about a woman that works with a magical group of people. Cute, fun reads.
bookcover:Enchanted, Inc.|603398] Once Upon Stilettos (Enchanted, Inc., #2) by Shanna Swendson Damsel Under Stress (Enchanted, Inc., #3) by Shanna Swendson Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4) by Shanna Swendson Much Ado About Magic (Enchanted, Inc., #5) by Shanna Swendson No Quest For The Wicked by Shanna Swendson

message 13: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments A couple more suggestions:

Bewitching by Jill Barnett
Witchy Business by Julie Leto (et al)

The first is one of my favorite historical romances, the second is actually in Mount TBR (somwhere).

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments If you want to go historical, try The Witch and the Warrior (Warriors, #2) by Karyn Monk , by Karyn Monk. I just love that book.

message 15: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Oh, that does sound good!

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I've lost count of the number of times I've read it. Sooooo good. Perfect for Hallowe'en.

message 17: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Reuben (alysonreuben) | 28 comments Oh wow - lots of good choices!!! So many books, so little time... Still, I'll MAKE time one way or another!

Thanks everyone!

message 18: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments We're doing a little housecleaning here in the Happily Ever After Cafe!

Because some threads get lost in the hustle and bustle of everyday posting, we're giving them permanent homes.

This thread has been moved to the Chatting and Recommendations Folder.

message 19: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 591 comments I like the classic Things That Go Bump in the Night by Jaid Black

message 20: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments The Shining was a Kindle deal just recently. $1.99

message 21: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 591 comments That scares the piss out of me lol

message 22: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments namericanwordcat wrote: "That scares the piss out of me lol"

LOL! The price or the book? ;)

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments **gigglesnort**