Bookaholic Anonymous discussion

General Discussions > What's Your Opinion on Sex in YA Books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

Nitzan Schwarz (nitzanafterwords) | 671 comments Mod
Personally, I don't mind it as long as it isn't too explicit. Fade to black and all those are good. I mean, it's part of the teenager course, in a way. And most YA books talk about indescribable love, in one way or the other...

Anyway, what do you think?

message 2: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (weirdtalkingdragon) | 50 comments I agree. I don't want it to be like erotica. Fade to black or a description, both are fine. I think atleast some reference to sex is necessary, for the book to be realistic in today's times. Same with swearing.

message 3: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

Ishita wrote: "I agree. I don't want it to be like erotica. Fade to black or a description, both are fine. I think atleast some reference to sex is necessary, for the book to be realistic in today's times. Same w..."

I whole-heartily agree. I see reviews sometimes that complain about the language, and I'm like "there isn't a single teenager in this world that doesn't curse (and if there is, I'll eat the hat I don't have on), so it doesn't make sense for the characters not to speak those!"
I just had this discussion with someone lately, stating how weird it feels when a book doesn't have any of those. It's like... too perfect and clean, which teenagers are neither.

message 4: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (weirdtalkingdragon) | 50 comments Yes! Teenagers live very weird lives. (Hey, open a topic on that: Portrayal of Teenagers in YA books.)
I'll comment on that. Or else I'll go off topic :P

message 5: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

Sure, I'm opening the topic now :>

message 6: by Krystal (last edited Sep 25, 2012 04:15PM) (new)

Krystal Hammer | 13 comments I don't feel that it's appropriate. I understand that my views aren't typical, and that's okay. I was in a book club not too long ago, and quite a few of the books they wanted to read were not okay in my eyes. I'm talking about adult books in this situation. However, I view it as less appropriate for kids (teens). My husband isn't around often, so I should read about other men sexually. NO. My teeenager has a ton of hormones that they don't know what to do with yet, so they should be influenced to be more interested in sex. NO. I don't think they need any more help after all that media pushes at them with out books. Sorry, kind-of a passionate post. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I feel that sex in YA novels is kind of important to the growth of the characters. This is the point in their lives where they are first learning and experimenting with it, and it has a big impact on how they develop. So long as it is not too explicit, I expect it.