Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Wedding Belles (Belles and Whistles, #1)
This topic is about Wedding Belles
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Abbi and Megan❀ Wedding Belles by Janice Hanna

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6293 comments Mod
❀Abbi and Megan❀ Wedding Belles by Janice Hanna

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Would you mind if we waited until tomorrow to discuss the first half? I'm not done with it yet and don't think I will be tonight.

Abbi I'm not done either and I'm exhausted so that's PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

message 4: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

I'm finished with the first half and ready to discuss whenever you are :D

Abbi I'm so sorry but I still have some to read! I will try to get it done tonight but I really don't think I will be able to stay awake long enough to discuss since I have to wake up at 5:30 tomorrow! If you want to go ahead and start the discussion then I will get on when I can. Again sorry-I have just been SO busy this week!

message 6: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

No problem, I completely understand. I think I'll wait until tomorrow to discuss. So if you're done before I get on you can start or if I'm on first I'll start - that sound okay?

Abbi Ok thanks!

Abbi Well I finally finished! Sorry again!

This is a cute story-it's not astoundingly amazing but it's a sweet read!

I think the men are my favorite characters! Quirky characters like that always make me smile.

I was appalled by how Lottie's mom and the other women at the church treated the actresses. Especially immediately following a sermon telling them to do the opposite!

I love how the ladies are all chipping in to help at the lodge too! I kinda expected them to be a bit more stuck up about things but other than a few minor problems they seem to be adjusting pretty well!

I love the "relationships" of Fanny and Jeb, and Phineas and Flossie! The first two are cute and the other two are funny!

The things at the beginning of each of the chapters are kinda cute though they do seem to be slightly redundant occasionally!

message 9: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yeah, it's cute, but definitely not that great! I thought it was going to be so much better than this.

The men, besides Gilbert, are my favorites too! I don't know why, but for some reason I'm just not liking Gil.

That part annoyed me! I can't stand when people act holier than thou, especially to people who are obviously not Christian (or at least aren't very far along in their faith) - these people need kind guidance, not judgement!

I like how the ladies are chipping in, but with some of them it almost seems too unbelievable that they are so quick to help.

Fanny & Flossie are just the best! I thought I wasn't going to care for Flossie at all, but she's surprised me! And their relationships with the guys are just too cute and funny!

I'm not liking them at all! I agree that they are redundant and think the story would flow much better without them at the start of every chapter!

I thought it was so funny when the girls asked if Katie Sue was Jeb's wife! It is so sad that he is selling her! I was kind of confused when Phineas said to Althea that Katie Sue was the only family he had left and then shortly there after Jeb is talking about his mother forbidding him - confusing!

I thought it was so mean of the women spreading the rumor that the Parkers are turning the lodge in a brothel, especially when Lottie's mother is at the helm of it! She knows good and well that they are putting on a play, and you would think she would trust her daughter to know if the other was going on.

I can't stand Lottie's mother! I can see that she wants the best for her daughter, but she doesn't listen to her at all! It's like she just wants another daughter exactly like Winifred and won't accept anything else.

message 10: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi Yeah I definitely expected more but not every book can be amazing!

Yeah I'm not really liking Gil that much either and I can't pinpoint exactly why.

Fanny and Flossie are amazing! I had the same feelings about Flossie!

That cracked me up too! And yeah it is sad that he's going to sell her-I'm hoping it doesn't actually happen. I didn't catch that but since I read it in many sittings and when I was tired that's not surprising! It is weird though!

I was mad at the women too! Especially Lottie's mother! I totally agree with your opinion about her!

The character's names in the play seem overly ridiculous!

message 11: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

True! Not every book can be amazing...too bad though!

They do, don't they! Some are cute, but for the most part come on!

I can't think of anything else! Do you have anything?

message 12: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi Nope I'm good! When do you want to discuss the next half?

message 13: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Monday?

message 14: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi Sounds good!

message 15: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi I'm finished so whenever you get done let me know! No rush though!

message 16: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

I haven't been able to finish the book yet - sorry! Would it be okay if we rescheduled to Wednesday? I am going to be busy tomorrow and don't think I will get it done before then.

message 17: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi Yeah, no worries! Whenever you're free!

message 18: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Thanks!

message 19: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Finally finished it on Wednesday evening and was going to discuss it then, but got pulled away - sorry!

I have to say that I was not impressed with this book at all! I only gave it 2 stars because it was easy to read and was semi interesting, otherwise I probably would have given it less. I kept hoping it was going to get better, but it didn't.

I know we said this before, but those names in the play were ridiculous! The whole play sounded really corny too, I can't believe that so many people would rush to see it and with it being such a small town I don't know how they are going to have people fill it every night either.

message 20: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi I gave it only two stars as well! I agree about not being impressed! There were so many things that I was like "Really?!" It could have been so much better!

I totally agree with your sentiments about the play! Just reading the handbills that were at the beginning of the chapter would have been enough to make me not go! And yeah I don't see how they will continue to have a full house!

The sudden "oh we love each other!" that ALL of the couples had was really annoying! Like that would really happen! And the whole skit the guys did-while cute that they tried-was just, for lack of a better word, pathetic!

And I wanted to smack some sense in to Lottie after Gil kissed her and she immediately began to think and act like they were a couple. I mean, come on!

Sorry that I'm being rather negative but I really didn't see much positive in this part! Though I did think it was cute how Fanny bought Jeb his cow back and how Lottie's dad had refrained from sending her with the other cows!

message 21: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ugh, I know! The insta-love was annoying! Yeah, the skit was cute, but I agree it was pathetic! I thought it was strange how Prudy and Augie(?) got married so quickly and quietly. You would think that a man running for office would have wanted a bigger to-do.

My feelings exactly! I thought it made her seem very young when she behaved that way.

Don't be sorry, I can't think of anything else positive besides the things you mentioned. I too loved that Fanny bought back Katie Sue! It broke me heart when Jeb sold her and when I thought she might be shipped with the other cows I got teary-eyed.

I thought it was kind of ridiculous the way the women behave when they found out why the men first brought them there.

message 22: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi Yeah that was strange that they did it so quiet! I agree with you in thinking they would have wanted something bigger!

Yeah that was ridiculous! Especially since the women were already starting to like the guys!

And along the insta-love train-Winnie and the lawyer?! I mean I saw it coming but still that was way too fast to be acting the way they were!

message 23: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

All the romance in the book seemed way too quick, but I agree with you, none seemed more rushed than Winnie's. Like you I saw that coming the moment those to reconnected, but it was way too quick!

This as the second book I've read by Janice Hanna (the first was under her other name, Janice Thompson) and while the other one was good, I'm in no hurry to read another one.

I can't think of anything else, do you have anything?

message 24: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi Nope I'm good!

message 25: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Would you like to read another book together?

message 26: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi YES!! Though we probably should wait to start until after Christmas since the next few days are gonna be crazy! Also I know for a fact that I'm getting a decent amount of books for Christmas so that will give us more options!

message 27: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Waiting until after Christmas sounds like a good idea! Can't wait to find out what books you are getting! So, I guess we can discuss book options Wednesday?

message 28: by Abbi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abbi Sounds like a plan! I can't wait to find out either! I get a bunch of books every year (since that's pretty much all I ask for) but I normally know most of the ones I'm getting and this year I have no clue!