Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Love's Reckoning (The Ballantyne Legacy, #1)
This topic is about Love's Reckoning
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Abbi and Megan❀ Love's Reckoning by Laura Frantz

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
❀Abbi and Megan❀ Love's Reckoning by Laura Frantz

Abbi So when do you want to start this and when do you want to discuss? I'm good with whenever!

message 3: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I hope to start reading this book Friday night, so hopefully we can discuss it Saturday. However, if that day doesn't work out maybe we could discuss it Sunday or Monday - not sure if I can get on Sunday or not. Would this work for you?

Abbi Megan wrote: "I hope to start reading this book Friday night, so hopefully we can discuss it Saturday. However, if that day doesn't work out maybe we could discuss it Sunday or Monday - not sure if I can get on ..."

Yeah sounds good!

message 5: by Abbi (last edited Oct 27, 2012 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I'm done, so I'm ready whenever you're ready! No rush though!

message 6: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry for taking SO long! I am finally done with the first part and ready to discuss it :D

Abbi No worries! I understand how things can get in the way of reading!

Ugh I dislike Elspeth SOOOOOOOOO much! It's amazing to think how two daughters could turn out so differently! And how she didn't even care about her own son! How ANYONE could be that callous is beyond me! The church situation made me so mad! How Eden who desperately wanted to go was forbidden and Elspeth who wanted nothing to do with the church was allowed to go!

Silas seems pretty cool and I like the fact that he's on to Elspeth's flirting and not falling for it! It's also cool how he sees the way Eden is taken advantage of and tries to ease her load some.

This whole apprentice thing is reminding me of Fairer Than Morning and Master Good. At least Liege doesn't mistreat Silas (yet) but it definitely sounds like he was a cruel master to his previous apprentices!

The Greathouses seem really nice! And it definitely appears that David likes Eden which should be interesting!

message 8: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I dislike Elspeth a lot as well! I couldn't believe how cold she was to her son either, and the whole church thing made me dislike her father even more. I hate the way Elspeth takes whatever she wants from her sister, does whatever she wants and gets away with it! I couldn't believe it when their father was criticizing and blaming Eden for Elspeth's faults - how could he do that?!?

I am really liking Silas so far! I love how he sees the way Eden is mistreated and how overworked she is and helps out where he can - so sweet!

That is exactly what came to mind when I started this book too! I agree that is does sound like Liege was mean to his previous apprentices, but I think he is too scared to try anything with Silas. I think it is terrible how mean he is to Eden! When I read that he had whipped he, even though in her mind she says he only gave her a few flicks with the tip, I was horrified!

I'm not sure yet how I feel about David. He seems like a nice guy, but at the same time he gives me a weird vibe - and I'm not quite sure how to explain it.

I couldn't believe how Elspeth behave with Isaac! Makes me wonder if he's the father...I wonder if we will ever know? I wonder why it's so often mentioned how much time Elspeth spends in the forge. Is this just the way to say that she is the favorite child, or a hint to why she is such a flirt/tease? Or, something else entirely?

I loved the dancing scene in the barn, but felt that Eden was a little mean when she told Elspeth where she was. Not that Elspeth didn't deserve some of her own medicine, but I wonder if she is going to do something to get back at her.

message 9: by Abbi (last edited Nov 01, 2012 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Yeah Liege blaming Eden for Elspeth was ridiculous, especially when they were unfounded accusations because she did tell her mother. And she was the YOUNGER one! The oldest is the one whose supposed to make sure the younger ones are behaving! And I too couldn't believe that Liege whipped Eden!

I personally think David will continue to be a nice guy. After all they grew up together and if had a "bad" side you'd think it would have come out sometime during those years, especially as kids playing games together. And we have also gotten a glimpse at him not around Eden, when he talked to Silas at the inn. He was kind and courteous even to people who might be considered "beneath" him.

Elspeth's behavior with Issac while horrible didn't actually surprise me since obviously she has no qualms about doing things like that and she seemed rather excited he was coming. Him being the father seems almost too easy it is probably someone more prominent, that would cause a scandal. Oh man I just had a horrible thought...What if it's David?! He's the only prominent person we've really met. I hope it's not him!

I didn't really think about the fact that they kept mentioning that Elspeth worked in the forge. I have no clue what it could mean though.

Yeah the dancing scene was awesome! And I actually don't feel the Eden was mean by mentioning that she was in the barn with Silas. Since she does have Quaker leanings honesty is probably pretty important to her so she told Elspeth where she was but she didn't gloat about what they were doing and Eden was supposed to talk to him and find out if he had a sweetheart.

message 10: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh! I hope it's not David's! I think that would be so painful for Eden!

True, she probably didn't mean anything by it. But, maybe after she said it, she realized that it could be taken in a different way and didn't care. Because it says that Elspeth didn't react at all. No tears, no tantrums, no threats. So, I think that Eden was surprised by that.

I love how each chapter begins with an old proverb - really unique and cute too!

I wonder if Silas is going to figure out that the baby is really Elspeth's, since he came on the day it was born.

I love how Silas reads the Bible to Eden and then, after reading it the first time, thought to write it down for her so she could read it again herself - how sweet!!! Also, how she wanted to hear it in both English & Gaelic - I can totally understand that!

message 11: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi The old proverb thing is unique and cute! I love when authors do stuff like that!

I was wondering if he would figure it out too. Especially since the mother was way to mobile for just having delivered!

I loved the Bible part too! Especially how he thought to write it down for her! I also thought it was so sweet when he lent her his book, and when he made her the new skates!

message 12: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

OH! I LOVED it when he gave her the skates - WOW, how thoughtful was that!

Well...I can't think of anything else to discuss - can you?

message 13: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Nope! Ready for part two?

message 14: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Definitely! I hated having to stop :D Want to try for Saturday to discuss?

message 15: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Sure!

message 16: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished the next section and am ready to discuss - no rush though!

message 17: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Sorry, I haven't gotten started yet. My best friend came and spent the day/night with me so I haven't had a chance to get to it.

message 18: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

No problem!

message 19: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Working on the last 50 pages now!

message 20: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Just finished-WOW!

For starters, even though I guessed it was David's baby I was still a little surprised and disappointed.

It's weird, there was so much that happened yet it feels like there's not much to discuss. Can you start the discussion? My brain is half asleep so I'm gonna sign off for now and maybe it'll work tomorrow!

message 21: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

The moment I read about Elspeth making a scene the previous year with David, I had a feeling your guess was going to be correct. I was disappointed about it too! Though even before it was revealed, I was starting to like David less and less, so when it was confirmed that he was the father I wasn't quite as disappointed as I think I would have been had I thought better of him.

I really like Jemma! I love how generous and kind she is, especially with Eden. The dress she gave Eden for the ball sounded beautiful and I'm really glad she finally consented to wearing her hair up. The way she was described made her sound exquisite! I loved how someone at the ball asked if she was one of Jemma's Philadelphia friends!

I couldn't believe it when Elspeth pushed Eden down the stairs!!! I was so worried for her and was glad when she was okay, but now I am worried about her again! What do her headaches mean?!? I hope not something too serious, but after a fall like that it could very well be and I would hate it if something terrible happens.

I wonder what Liege meant when he said to his wife:
"A blacksmith's daughter? I beg to differ." & "And what's this drivel about a gentleman, not a tradesman? That never stopped you-a gunsmith's daughter! What have you to say about that?" (page 203)

I have a bad feeling that what he meant was that Eden is not his daughter, but some "gentleman's" - maybe even David's uncle??? Wouldn't that be something, if Eden is related to the Greathouses?!? If Eden isn't his daughter it would explain a LOT! Why Elspeth seems to do no wrong in his eyes, even having a baby out of wedlock!

message 22: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I too started to slowly like David less but I was still hoping maybe he would be good!

I like Jemma too! She's so sweet, kind, and generous! The dress she lent Eden did sound so pretty, and I was glad she put her hair up.

I was shocked that Elspeth pushed her down the stairs as well, and the fact that she tried to make it seem like Eden's fault and was trying to accuse Eden of the very thing she was planning to attempt! I'm also worried about the headaches because they wouldn't be mentioned as much if they aren't gonna cause problems in the future.

I did not even think that part through fully! But as horrible as that is it would make sense and definitely explain a whole bunch of stuff!

Who do you think set the fire? Elspeth does seem a likely choice since she thought Eden was running away with Silas, but at the same time I think she's to invested in the business to try to destroy it. But I also can't think of anyone else who would do it unless it's just a random angry person.

I loved the Silas negotiated for Eden to be able to attend church, and her awe was so cool. So often I tak for granted the awesome privilege we have of worshiping with other believers and being taught from God's Word every Sunday.

I was surprised at Liege's purchasing the girls cloth to make new dresses and I'm wondering if there's a reason.

message 23: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have so many different thoughts about who set the fire. David, because he saw Eden leave and was jealous; or, Elspeth, because she thought Eden left and thought this would make it seem as though Silas (or Eden) did it; or, Mrs. Lee said that Liege was ill that morning, so maybe he was drunk and somehow caused it himself; or, a random person who had a grudge against the family; or, maybe even Eden herself, maybe in her haste to catch Silas she somehow caused it??? I do hope we will find out who did it!

When Silas made Eden being allowed to attend church one of the terms of his contract with Liege, I was so happy for her! I was also impressed when he made Liege make right all his overcharging...and was shocked that Liege agreed to it!

Yeah, I was very surprised by it too! I could see him buying material for Elspeth, since she seems to be his favorite, but I was astonished when there was material for Eden too! When Eden was concerned that she wouldn't like the material, because Elspeth picked it out and their tastes are completely different, I was as surprised as she was that it was something she liked! I was starting to think that maybe Elspeth was becoming nicer to Eden, because she felt bad for pushing her down the stairs, but now I'm not so sure. Like you, I wonder what is behind him being so generous...and what was the real reason for his sudden trip.

Oh! I loved how before Silas left he chopped all that wood so Eden wouldn't have to do it for a long time. I was happy when they both confessed their feelings for one another, and was more impressed with Silas, when Eden was willing to do far more than kiss, that he put a stop to that because he desired to honor God above all! However, I was disappointed that they decided to keep their relationship quiet. I understood why they wanted to keep it quiet, but think this is going to cause something bad to happen, just not sure what. And I wonder what, if anything, Elspeth is going to do now that she discovered Silas & Eden together?

message 24: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Wow I just realized that I accidentally read a chapter less than I was supposed to-oops! I've rectified that problem though!

I really do hope that they reveal who set the fire, cause that'd be ridiculous to not say who it was.

Yeah I don't see Elspeth changing at all and was pretty shocked that she picked pretty fabric. Though maybe she wanted it to be nice so that she could take it when she wanted it. I hadn't really thought through the suddenness of the trip but it is strange, especially that he made Elspeth come with him.

I agree with everything in the first half of your last paragraph, but I thought it was wise to keep their relationship quiet for awhile since Liege and Elspeth are rather conniving and would have tried to stop it, and who knows what will happen now the Elspeth knows!

The scene with Margaret makes what you said about Eden not being Liege's seem even more probable!

message 25: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't think Liege would have tried to stop it, since he didn't seem to care which daughter Silas chose as long as he picked one of them, but he may have tried to get something out of the union that they wouldn't have wanted to give.

I wonder if the sudden trip had something to do with what was said on page 260:

"Some man" The merchant's amused tone stopped her cold just shy of the kitchen door. "Word is..."

He lowered his voice before finishing the sentence, so we don't know who he is referring to. Eden assumed it was Giles, the gunsmith's son, but maybe not. Maybe this was the reason for Liege's sudden trip?

message 26: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I think it was the gunsmith's son he was referring to, since Silas said that Liege had given permission for Giles to court her "or so he said at the table" which implies it was said after the merchant's comment.

I can't think of anything else. You?

message 27: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nope, I can't think of anything else. Ready for the last section?

message 28: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Yep! When do you want to discuss?

message 29: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hmmm...how about either Wednesday or Thursday? Unless we both finish it sooner :D

message 30: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Sounds good!

message 31: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I finished! WOW! Can't wait to discuss!

message 32: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished it last night. Sorry for taking so long, but now I see what you mean!

Poor Eden! I didn't think I could dislike David any more, but now...UGH! He is utterly despicable and vile! I can't believe I even liked him in the beginning! Although, even though I hate what happened to Eden, and I mean really hate, I was glad that it wasn't like so many other books I have read where someone comes just in the nick of time and saves the day - I get so tired of that, it's just not realistic.

And Jon! I was shocked when Eden found him dead in his cradle. Who do you think killed him? I think it was Elspeth. I wonder if the next book will let you know about that, or if we'll never know! Just like it seems we won't know who set the fire...unless I missed where it said it.

message 33: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi :)

Ok I pretty much agree word for word with that first paragraph! I wanted to cream David! And if you think about it they are actually cousins which just makes it worse!

I couldn't believe about Jon either! And then Jemma right after! I could not believe that they didn't say who started the fire and killed Jon! The only thing close to it was there was some line where either Eden or Silas was thinking and it said something like "they were pretty sure Elspeth had had a hand in both" which seems like the most logical explanation!

I was so shocked when it went so far into the future all of a sudden. I was like "WHAT?!" I mean I understand how it works for the story but still!

I absolutely loved how even though Eden called of their wedding Silas still considered himself betrothed to her and (other than the one kiss) acted like it.

I'm kinda curious as to why Elspeth felt the need to first travel to see Eden and then to see both of them. What does she have up her sleeve?

message 34: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry about taking SO long to get on again!

Yeah, I felt the same way about the time jump.

I too LOVED that he still considered himself betrothed to her and acted like it!

I'm curious about that too! When I read that after all those years Elspeth was coming to visit Eden, I at first thought she had changed and wanted to apologize; then when I read about the letter Silas sent, I thought she had somehow intercepted it and felt bad about it and that was the reason she was going to see Eden in Philadelphia. But now that I've read the epilogue & prologue to the next book I'm not sure what to think.

I was a little disappointed with Eden, when she let Silas leave. I understood why she didn't tell Silas at the tavern, she feared he would killed David, but I couldn't understand why she let him leave. Especially when an hour after he left, she decides to follow him. It wasn't as if she was opposed to being married, even to Silas, since she was going after him and especially when she was thinking about marrying Giles! She could have told Silas she wanted a little more time at home before they left, if she wanted to know whether or not she was pregnant from David, since she didn't want Silas to know about what happened to her while he was still close enough (and angry enough) to kill David and get put in jail...or executed! Though I was a little surprised that Silas didn't guess what happened to Eden, especially when Margaret tells him that David has been besotted with Eden for a long time - how about you?

I was really glad when I read how Eden stood up to Liege and didn't let him tell her whom she had to marry, though I felt really bad when he threw her out because she knew he wasn't her father.

message 35: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Yeah I was disappointed that she let him leave too and surprised that Silas didn't figure it out!

I was glad Eden stood up to Liege and while I felt bad that he threw her out I wasn't surprised. And Eden already wanted to leave so...

I felt kinda bad for Silas, no matter where he goes it seems fathers are trying to foist their daughters on him!

message 36: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hahaha, SO true! I guess their fathers know a good man when they see one :D

Well, I can't think of anything else to discuss - can you?

message 37: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi :)

Nope I'm out of stuff too! So are we on to The Lady of Bolton Hill now?

message 38: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, on to The Lady of Bolton Hill! How do you want to divide it?

message 39: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi idk I only have a kindle copy so I'm not sure how it is page wise!

message 40: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

That's all I have too! Uh, let's see...okay, I went to the "go to" section on my Kindle and, if it is correct, it seems like there are 331 pages. So, if we want to divide it into thirds to do so equally page wise should be as follows:

Prologue & Chapters 1-7 (up to page 116)
Chapters 8-16 (up to page 227)
Chapters 17-23 & epilogue (up to page 331)

What do you think?

message 41: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Sounds good to me! When do you want to discuss? I have a couple books that I need to finish quickly for review but I'm hoping to have them done tomorrow at the latest so I'll be free any time after that.

message 42: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have a few books I have to get read for review too, so how about we aim for Monday?

message 43: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Sounds good!