Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2)
This topic is about The Doctor Takes a Wife
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Abbi and Megan❀ The Doctor Takes a Wife by Laurie Kingery

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6306 comments Mod
❀Abbi and Megan❀ The Doctor Takes a Wife by Laurie Kingery

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished with the first 14 chapters and ready to discuss whenever you are.

Abbi Sorry I didn't realize you had finished the first book yet and I haven't even started, plus life has been crazy especially with trip preparations and such. And I still have a hundred pages left of my Words w/ GR Friends book. I will try to get my half read on the drive down and then we can discuss it when I get online. Again sorry!

message 4: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

No worries! I have a few books that I need to read for review anyway, so no rush :D

Whenever you are ready to discuss it just let me know.

Abbi Ok thanks!

Abbi Well I read the first half on our way down and I really enjoyed it! (I don't have the book with me so I'm going from memory!)
Nolan is a really fun character and I'm really glad that Sarah isn't letting her dislike Yankees keep her from being friends with him!
I like how Sarah is teaching Milly and Prissy how to cook and bake-so funny! Prissy is quite fun and I love how sh'e in cahoots with Nolan to get Sarah to like him!

message 7: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I like Nolan a lot! I was a little disappointed in Sarah because of her bigotry against Nolan, but at the same time I was kind of annoyed that Nolan purposely left the fact that not only was he from the North, but that he was a soldier in the Union army. Yes, I think that Sarah was harsh in her judgement of him and she should judge each man on his own merits, but I completely understood her shock when she first met him.

I LOVE Prissy! I think she is so funny. I really hope one of the next books are about her.

I had a bad feeling the second Prissy's aunt & cousin came unexpectedly to their house that one of them would become sick, with the very sickness her aunt was trying to avoid, and it figures that it would be the aunt. It always seems like the people who fear getting sick the most get sick. I am really hoping that Milly doesn't get sick from the visit Sarah paid her, since it was after Prissy's aunt had arrived that she visited her, if I am remembering correctly.

Oh, I could just shake Ada for her lying. I couldn't believe her outrageous lies against Nolan! Even if she believes she is pregnant, she knows very well he isn't the father!

Abbi Totally agree with your first paragraph! And I'm pretty sure one of the next books is about Prissy!

I know, as soon as they mentioned Prissy's aunt I knew it was going to be bad! And then when she coughed after she arrived I was sure she'd be sick. I agree about hoping Milly doesn't sick-that would be awful!

And Ada. That girl needs a wake up call! I couldn't believe that she claimed Nolan was the dad! That was ridiculous! I'm glad no one really believes her!

I have to go-will try to get on again soon!

message 9: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can't think of anything else to discuss for this section! Can you think of anything else?

message 10: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi The only other things I can think of are: 1. The scene where he is stitching her arm. I thought it was so cute how he felt so horrible for causing her pain! and 2. I loved how the Reverend wasn't pushy about church!

message 11: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved the scene where Nolan is stitching her arm too!

OH! I just remember another part that made me laugh!
When Nolan says to Sarah:

"Why don't we agree to be civil, even pleasant, to one another today? We can go back to being best enemies tomorrow, if you like."

Best enemies - cracks me up, it is too funny!

I also loved the scene where Nolan asks Sarah to dance and he says he was waiting for a waltz and she says:

"Oh? Why?"

Then he says:

"If you have to ask that, Miss Sarah Matthews, then it's no wonder the South lost the war."

I just loved it :D

Ooh! I loved it when Nolan called Sarah "my thorny Southern rose." and then she tells him "I'm not your anything." It definitely had me smiling :D

message 12: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi HAHA! I loved all of those parts too!

So are we ready for part two? I can read on our trip home then discuss it Mon or Tues night!

message 13: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Oct 21, 2012 06:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm going to read the next part. Hope you have a safe trip home.

message 14: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm finished with the book. Looking forward to discussing it.

message 15: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I finished too!

Wow what a second half! I couldn't believe how many people died from the influenza! I was glad Prissy's father didn't die too! I felt so bad for Caroline when Pete died!

I kind of guessed that Jesse would come back but I did not expect him to be the way he was. I sorta thought they would make it more of a love triangle thing but this way was much more interesting! I loved how Nolan stepped in at the restaurant and rescued her!

message 16: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I know! SO many people died I was starting to wonder if there would be anybody left! I felt terrible for Caroline too!

I guessed that Jesse would come back too, but, like you, I never expected him to be so horrible. Though, I did expect him to be different than he was, so I guess I expected him to be a little bad.

I was appalled with Ada! I couldn't believe how mean and crazy she became. That she would kidnap Sarah, thinking that Jesse was going to trade her with the Indians, was horrendous! Also, I couldn't believe how calloused she was about possibly killing Prissy! I was SO relieved that she was okay!!! I did, however, feel bad that Ada was double crossed by Jesse and killed. At first, I thought it was just because she didn't keep quiet and annoyed him that he shot her, but then when it said that there were only two horses and that Sarah assumed he would have killed her anyway - wow! That made me dislike Jesse even more, which is saying a lot! I was glad, though, at the end she helped the men with finding Sarah - though it may have been only out of spite.

I was very worried when the men rode away from Colonel Throckmorton's house, when it was revealed that Jesse was hiding there with Sarah as his prisoner! Here I thought the Colonel was giving the Gray Boys gang up, but here he was just going along with their plan! I totally didn't see Nick and Nolan sneaking back to rescue her - I was SO happy and relieved when they showed up! I wonder how they knew to go back to the house, because I don't think it said - did it? Did the Colonel fess up and tell them on the road? Or, did Nick and/or Nolan see something that made him/them realize that they were there? Whatever the reason, I am so glad they did turnaround and go back to the house!

message 17: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Yeah Ada shocked me! How she could turn so completely was insane! Though technically she was crazy so... I kind of figured Prissy would be ok, but it was relieving when you knew for sure. And Jesse was definitely a sick piece of work. It's horrible how war can so completely destroy people if they let it. I too was glad Ada stayed alive long enough to tell the men.

I thought the Colonel was giving them up too! And yeah it didn't really say how they realized the Colonel wasn't telling the truth-I looked. But the most reasonable explanation is that the sensed something fishy. I mean a man like that wouldn't give in quite so easily!

message 18: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I couldn't believe Prissy's suggestion about cutting Sarah's hair! That would have been horrible for her...if they would have done that! I was very glad Nolan didn't listen to Prissy about that!

I felt really bad for Nolan when I learned about his wife and child dying from cholera. How horrible it must have been for him! Here he's a doctor and he couldn't help his family heal - I can't even imagine the pain he must have gone through.

message 19: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I agree with you about the hair! It would be awful to wake up and discover you had no hair!

Nolan's story was sad. Being a doctor in a situation like that, powerless to save the ones you love most, would be so awful. And add to that all he had to go through during the war...yikes!

I don't have the book with me and I'm drawing a blank on topics to discuss. Do you have anymore?

message 20: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have the book and can't think of anything else either!

What book do you want to read next?

message 21: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi I'm up for whichever you want! I do have Against the Tide now!

message 22: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

How about Love's Reckoning ?

message 23: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi ok sounds good!

message 24: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I want to read The Lady of Bolton Hill before I read Against the Tide - I just haven't got to it yet!

message 25: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Haha same here! I've started it but just haven't had time!

message 26: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Haha same here! I've started it but just haven't had time!

message 27: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Do you want to read it in thirds?

message 28: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Oct 22, 2012 09:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

If so, and we are going for around equal pages it would be 13 chapters, 14 chapters, and then the remaining chapters. However, if we want to keep it more equal chapter-wise, it would be 15 chapters for the 1st & 2nd sections and then the remaining 14 chapters + the epilogue. Which do you prefer?

message 29: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi wrote: "Haha same here! I've started it but just haven't had time!"
Hey! If you're not too far in it, do you want to read that one as a buddy read too?

message 30: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Sorry I wasn't on we are finally home from our trip and I just couldn't stay awake any longer!

I'd say let's keep it equal page wise!

And as for The Lady of Bolton Hill. I'd love to read it together. I'm about 12% through but it's been read so choppily I already planned on rereading the part I have done!

message 31: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

No problem! I am glad to hear you are back safely from your trip!

Great!

Do you want to read The Lady of Bolton Hill after Love's Reckoning?

message 32: by Abbi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abbi Sounds good!