Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

The Doctor's Lady
This topic is about The Doctor's Lady
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Abbi, Megan, and Melanie❀ The Doctor's Lady by Jody Hedlund

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6297 comments Mod
❀Abbi, Megan, and Melanie❀ The Doctor's Lady by Jody Hedlund

Abbi So we are reading this in thirds (9 chapters), right?
When do you gals want to discuss?

message 3: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Sep 30, 2012 09:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yep, we're reading it in thirds. I could probably discuss it either Tuesday night or anytime Wednesday.

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9610 comments Mod
Thirds sound fine. :) I could probably fit it in sometime this week...when do you all want to discuss it?

Abbi Tuesday or Wednesday works for me! We can shoot for Tuesday and if anyone needs more time we can do it Wednesday. Does that work for you girls?

message 6: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Works for me.

message 7: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds great! I'll work on getting the first nine chapters read by Tuesday. :)

Abbi Well this one is just as good/easy to read as Unending Devotion! I picked it up and next thing I knew I was done with the nine chapters! Can't wait to discuss!

message 9: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi wrote: "Well this one is just as good/easy to read as Unending Devotion! I picked it up and next thing I knew I was done with the nine chapters! Can't wait to discuss!"

Wow! You're fast, Abbi! I'm going to try and read the nine chapters tonight. :)

message 10: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished the first nine chapters! Wow! It's so good I don't want to stop! LOL! Looking forward to discussing it with both of you. :)

message 11: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Melanie wrote: "I just finished the first nine chapters! Wow! It's so good I don't want to stop! LOL! Looking forward to discussing it with both of you. :)"

I know! I keep seeing it beside my bed and really want to just dive in and not resurface until it's done!

message 12: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just finished the first third. WOW!!! It is SO good!!!

message 13: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Yeah it's awesome isn't it?!
I loved the first scene where they were kinda going at each other defending their positions, I knew I was gonna love it from there!

I don't know what to make of Priscilla's mom. She seems really pushy and overbearing but you can also see that she really just wants what is best for Priscilla.

My heart broke a little when we were told that Priscilla couldn't have kids, that would just be so absolutely awful I don't think I could take it. And then having to deal with her sister being pregnant-sheesh. You'd think that would be something you could tell a sister and expect her to keep it quiet and if she knew she could be a little more sensitive.

message 14: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi - I loved that scene too! I didn't know what was happening at first when it started out with "Indians!" - I was expecting an attack or something...I loved Eli and Priscilla's discourse and how it seemed like they wouldn't get along. :)

True...although the way her mom acted towards John and Richard was mean.

I know! I feel so bad for Priscilla (especially since she really wants to have children) - that would be really difficult to deal with.

I'm wondering what the deal is with Eli's family and what happened that made his mother act that way towards him...

message 15: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh! I LOVED the beginning as well! The sparks between them are fantastic! I am almost enjoying this book more than Unending Devotion and I really hope it stays this good!

At first I was wondering what was going on with the Indians too.

Priscilla's mom is TOO much! She is way too controlling and pushy, definitely glad I don't have a mother like her! I don't think I could be as nice to her as Priscilla is.

When I first read in the book about her not being able to have kids, I wondered how she knew since she was single. All different reasons were running through my mind..."Did she have an accident?"..."Did she go through menopause really early?"...but, to have that happen because you got sick how tragic! I mean here she must have been sick for quite a while and just when she thinks all is well, and she beat the disease and lived, she learns that! I hope that somehow she will have children of her own in the end - either by adoption or a miracle and she is able to conceive after all! But I think I agree with not telling her sister, because she may tell her husband and who knows whom he would tell - in the utmost confidence of course - and then on and on it would go, until everyone would know.

I am SO curious about Eli's family history. What happened with his dad? Didn't the mother realize what her second husband was doing with her daughters? What's with Eli's mom not recognizing him? and SO many other questions!

Walt - UGH! I can't stand that man! Its almost like Master Good all over again, but in some ways Walt is worse. How could he do what he did to his own stepdaughters!?! Also, the way he treats everyone as if they're worthless and how he calls everyone idiots - he is completely despicable!

I laughed out loud when the steamboat was being described. Here is the quote that had me laughing:
"The Siam wasn't the largest steamboat on the river or the fanciest, but the captain had boasted of being able to reach speeds of thirteen miles per hour. From the dizzying way the shore moved past them, she had no doubt they were making good time."

I could only think how nowadays that would seem SO slow, I mean some people can run faster than that, but it was SO fast it was making her dizzy - I am laughing now just thinking about it!

I wasn't surprised at all that the Rev. Spalding that Eli was going to be travelling with was the same man that Priscilla knew - in fact I would have been more surprised had it not have been. Henry seems like a nice man, but he is obviously hurt by what he perceives Priscilla did. From the build up of things, I was expecting his wife to be unkind and mean, but so far she seems pretty sweet. OH! But, poor Priscilla can't seem to catch a break! One of the benefits of her leaving was she wasn't going to be around her pregnant sister, but now she will be around her former beau's pregnant wife! I feel SO bad for her.

I cringed when they stopped at that tavern. Having to share a room with SO many people, the lack of privacy, and that bed - YUCK! The idea of sleeping on a bed that hasn't been washed in who knows how long and has been used by a multitude of people (who probably themselves were quite filthy), is utterly disgusting!!! I did however love the part when Eli and Priscilla are bantering in the tavern's sleeping room - it was SO adorable and sweet!

message 16: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I too am curious about Eli's family! There's just so much to find out! Especially with the mother! And I totally agree with the fact that Walt was EVIL, he's like a mix of Master Good and Carr!

The steamboat part made me laugh too! It be funny to see her reaction to cars nowadays!

Yeah it was pretty obvious that it was gonna be the same Spalding. He does seem nice but since Priscilla almost married him I kinda expected him to be, and he does have just cause to be hurt, though the truth will probably come out at some point. I was glad his wife seemed so sweet-but I agree about the fact the poor Priscilla can't catch a break!

Yeah the Tavern made my skin crawl-so gross, but it was a cute scene. I also loved the fact that he got her a ring and it was especially sweet that he didn't just get a plain band but actually made it special! And another cute scene (there are a lot aren't there?!) was the school room scene where Eli proposes! I just love the relationship between the two of them and it can only get better!
Oh and I also hope that they get kids somehow in the end!!

message 17: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved the schoolroom scene where Eli proposes too! It was so cute! I also found the part about how "fast" the ship could go really funny. :)

Both Priscilla and Eli are great characters and I can hardly wait to continue reading their story. :)

message 18: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

YES!!! That is exactly what he is like - perfect description!

Hahahaha! I know - I can see her jaw dropping and her eyes bugging out at their speed.

Ohhh! How could I have forgotten about that ring!?! It sounds like such a pretty ring and it was SO sweet and romantic of him to have it specially made for her - especially considering this is to be an "in name only" marriage. I thought that scene was cute too and really loved their bantering in that scene. I agree the relationship can only get better.

John and Richard seem very well behaved for children and very mature too. I think it's endearing how they look after Priscilla. I couldn't believe it when Priscilla's mother wanted them to use the back door and eat in the kitchen! I mean, it would have been one thing to ask them to eat in the kitchen, but to make them go out of their way and walk around the house (in the bitter cold) how heartless and condescending of her! I was glad when Eli put her in her place about that issue. Oh, and the scene where Eli tells Priscilla she can only take one small trunk and her mother says "We don't have any small trunks." and he says "Then find one." I thought "Way to tell her!" I loved how he put her in her place!

Oh, the scene with Priscilla's mother and sister preparing her for wifely duties was both funny and painful to read. When her sister says, "I conceived on my wedding night." Ouch! That must have been very painful for Priscilla to hear - like salt in a wound. I know her sister doesn't know about Priscilla's condition, but it still almost felt like bragging. Then when Eli enters the room it gets SO much better! I can't believe the two of them are fighting their obvious attraction for one another, but I thought Eli was such a gentleman honoring their agreement...and sleeping on the cold floor too!

message 19: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm also hoping that Priscilla will somehow be able to have children (like maybe the doctor was wrong and she can conceive).

Another scene I found interesting was that last scene we read when Priscilla threw up after helping Eli with the injured man...I loved when Eli said that he did the same thing during his first surgery. I don't know, it just seemed really sweet to me. :) Can you tell I really like Eli's character?

message 20: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Yeah John and Richard are fun and I do love their care of Priscilla! And her mother was so rude to them-I hate when people think they have the right to look down on others just cause they are different.

Yeah that scene at the boat was a good one-I couldn't have handled seeing the wound either. I too thought it was so sweet when Eli told her about how he got sick. I love how Eli has the whole gruff exterior but deep down he's considerate and gentlemanly. (I really like Eli too, Melanie!)

message 21: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yep! I loved that part too. Here she's probably thinking that he's laughing at her weakness and he's just remembering doing the same thing. He's such a sweet guy :D

message 22: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi So does anyone else have something to discuss, cause I'm out of things!

message 23: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well, there is one other thing I wanted to say - I found it so sweet how Eli stopped to fill the foot warmer for Priscilla even though it might make them late in catching up with the Fur Company.

message 24: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi haha I thought of that right after I posted my comment, I found it sweet too!

message 25: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

That was very sweet of him and it did in fact cause them to miss it! But, the way he tried to not make it seem like it matter that much was wonderful.

I have to mention one thing that was puzzling to me:

How did Walt know what size to make the boots? Even if he had an outline of the feet for Eli, Henry and Henry's wife...how did he know Priscilla's size? It's not like every woman's foot is the same size.

I think that is all, because I can't think of anything else either. When do you want to discuss the next part?

message 26: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I didn't think of that-but it is an interesting question!

I'm up for discussing whenever-based on how fast I read the first section I'll probably read the next just as fast so I'll be done by tomorrow night but I don't know you girl's schedule.

message 27: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Oct 02, 2012 10:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

This book is too good and I hated having to stop! I will try to read it by tomorrow night too, so we could discuss it then. Is this okay with you Melanie?

message 28: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have to read a lot of books this week, but I'll try to have the next third done by tomorrow night. The first third was really easy to read, so I'm hoping I'll be able to read this section just as easily/quickly. :)

message 29: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I just finished, and man was it good! There was so much in this section and I CAN'T wait to discuss and read the end!!!

message 30: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi, you are so fast! Seriously, I haven't even started the next third yet... LOL! I will be soon, though. :)

message 31: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm almost done with this section! It is so good! Looking forward to discussing it.

message 32: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okay, I finished now and don't want to stop! LOL! :)

message 33: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just finished - sorry for taking so long!

WOW! SO much has happened in this part of the book, I hardly know where to start!

I loved the scene where Priscilla is sewing up Eli hand. All their bantering and flirting was cute and funny. I laughed out loud several times during that scene.

I can't believe how those men left them not once but twice! However, I think that the way Eli treated them was great - that he didn't repay their unkindness with unkindness, but with kindness and mercy.

message 34: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I laughed a lot during that scene too! Their banter is awesome!

Yeah I was shocked that they kept leaving them too, and Eli did handle it awesomely! Though I kinda wanted to go "ha" when they found out that the Diana sank!

I also loved the prickly pear scene-I laughed so loud when Eli said he bit into one the last time!

I felt so bad for poor Mabel, the trip was so hard on her! I loved how Henry was always watching out for her It was hard to figure out whether to be mad at Henry for going too slow of Eli for going to fast because you could see both sides of the argument!

I was really sad that Running Feet died-especially since it was after a miscarriage-but Priscilla has her baby now! Though I'm rather curious to see whether Squire and/or Eli will put up a fight about it!

message 35: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ooh! The prickly pear scene - I LOVED it too! How Eli finally got Priscilla to call him by his first name, instead of the stuffy "Dr. Ernest". But then when they are just about to kiss, Henry and Mabel interrupt them. Why do they always have to get interrupted!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the speed. But, I think Henry was going to slow before they caught up them, because it seems had they been able to get on the boat they would have been left waiting for Henry to show up and still have to try and catch them again - because those people won't wait for them at all it seems! However, once Eli and the women caught up with Henry, I could definitely see Henry's point about resting for the women - they sounded absolutely exhausted. And, I think once Eli calmed down a bit, he saw the necessity of this too.

I was really sad when she died too. It almost sounded like it was more than just a miscarriage to me, like maybe appendicitis, because you would think a doctor would think of that - but I could be wrong.

YES! Priscilla has a baby now! I SO hope Squire won't fight her on it, but he is the father and I guess I would be a little more disappointed in him if he doesn't. I don't think Eli would fight her on keeping the baby, but if he did I would be very let down in him - since he knows about her condition and everything.

I was SO worried when Old Ephraim grabbed Priscilla - I didn't think anybody was going to get there in time to stop him! I was SO relieved someone did, but boy was I surprised when it was Running Feet who rescued her! She certainly wasn't the meek woman I thought she was! But, boy oh boy, was it something when Eli got there! I thought he was going to kill Ephraim for sure! I understood why he snapped, after having to suffer through his sisters being abused and not being able to stop it, but wow! He sounded very scary at that moment.

What did you think about all the Indian women touching Priscilla and Mabel? I thought it was a bit creepy the way they just started yanking on Priscilla and nervy too. How would they have like people to do that to them!?!

message 36: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Well since Squire hasn't shown himself to be too much of a caring man and cares more about getting the job done than taking care of his family, I'm not sure how much he'll actually protest. Especially since taking care of a baby without a woman would definitely slow him down! And yeah Eli should be smacked if he protests but he seems to be rather in tune to Priscilla's feelings so hopefully he'll see them this time!

I was scared at the Ephraim part too! And I totally did not see Running Feet coming! I thought if it wasn't going to be Eli than at least John or Richard! Eli did sound quite scary at the part! But yeah he really had a lot of bottled up anger to take out on the creep!

I would have totally hated all of those women touching me! Definitely creepy! Though I think I'd be rather curious too, not that I'd resort to grabbing like that!

message 37: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved the second river crossing scene. When Priscilla says to Eli, "You wouldn't dare.", and then he says, "Don't you know you should never dare me? It's a sure bet I'll do it." and then puts her over his shoulder - I was smiling and chuckling SO much.

OH! I was SO sad when Eli rejected Priscilla in their tent! Even though I could kind of see his reasoning, I felt really bad for her. Especially that Henry overheard their conversation - how embarrassing and humiliating for her! I wonder if his knowledge of this will cause him to act differently with her.

message 38: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi I loved that second crossing scene too! So funny!

And yes it was sad when Eli rejected her and even more so that Henry heard, but I too get Eli's reasoning!

Melanie where are you?!

message 39: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry, I wasn't on the computer until just recently - I see I've missed a lot! I'll just have to have one REALLY long post sharing my thoughts on what you all have said. LOL! :)

message 40: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I also loved the scene where Priscilla sewed up Eli's hand - I don't know if I could have sewed up someone's hand... so I guess that shows Priscilla's strength.

Oh, yes, when Diana sunk it was a total "ha" moment! It also kinda showed how Henry was right about not traveling on the Sabbath.

LOL! That scene with the prickly pears was HILARIOUS! I loved how just before that they kind of fought and he was going to leave her alone, but then she screams and he thinks something's happening and gets kind of panicked...that shows to me that he cares for her. And, yes, I also loved when he said he bit into a prickly pear last time - ouch! :/

It was sad that Running Feet died, but it was really kind of her to give her child to Priscilla. I also found it great how she (Running Feet) saved Priscilla from getting raped. Although, didn't it seem like Squire thought that Running Feet was in danger, almost like it had happened before?

Eww, that scene with the Indian women touching both Priscilla and Mabel was horrible!*shudders* I could not take that if I was them, even though I'd understand their curiosity, taking her hat and pulling her hair is TOO much!

Oh, that second river crossing scene was so hilarious! I loved what was said between them and I'm sure I actually laughed out loud when reading it.

What did you all think about when Eli gave Priscilla that orchid/flower? I thought it was so sweet how he did it to get her to smile. :)

message 41: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

When Eli gave her the flower, just so he could see her smile, awww that was SO sweet and romantic!

I really can't think of anything else to discuss, can either of you?

message 42: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hmm, well what about when Priscilla fell into the river? Wasn't that so scary? I loved how Eli acted in that scene. He just took over and saved her from getting swept away and killed. :) Also, how he thought "Now that he had her, he wouldn't lose her. Not unless he died first." So sweet. :)

message 43: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Yes the flower scene was amazingly sweet! Eli is fast becoming a favorite hero of mine!

And when Priscilla fell into the river-I was so glad that Eli got back just into to save her. Loved his thoughts during that scene!

Well I can't think of anything else to discuss either!

message 44: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm ready to read the last third, too. :)

message 45: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi So when do you girls want to discuss? I'll be good with whenever as long as it's a least a couple hours from now ! :)

message 46: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well, I don't know how much I'll be able to get on the computer, but maybe we could try for mid-to-late Saturday? If that works for both of you?

message 47: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Okay, I finished the book! Wow, was it great! Looking forward to discussing it whenever you both are ready. :)

message 48: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi haha I would be done but I decided to hang out with my sis for awhile instead of reading. Pretty sure I'll finish it tonight-can't wait!

message 49: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just finished it. WOW!!! This book was AMAZING!!! It is the best book I have read this year! I can hardly wait to discuss it:D

message 50: by Abbi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abbi Well this time I'm the last to finish! This book was SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! I can't wait to discuss either! Are we still going for Saturday discussion or are we gonna try for sometime today (Friday)?

« previous 1