Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Contemporary Romance > Military Hero Contemporary Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel the Book Harlot (last edited Sep 24, 2012 09:54PM) (new)

Rachel the Book Harlot | 217 comments Help! I just finished The Other Soldier by Kathy Altman and while I loved the premise, I hated the heroine so was dissatisfied with the romance. But now I have a craving for a good contemporary romance where the soldier comes home and finds love. Can you guys recommend something along those lines? I would prefer something with angst where he's recovering from PTSD or where he's sort of a tortured hero.

Thanks, Guys!

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments What about Lora Leigh Wild Card Wild Card (Elite Ops, #1) by Lora Leigh , probably pretty full on, I have read the lead up to this series, so I know what he has been through but haven't read this book. Poor man has been through alot. Might not be your thing, Lora Leigh books are usually pretty heavy sex wise, just a warning because you may like it.

message 3: by laurie (new)

laurie stith-tenney (peanunt) | 3 comments You could try Maya Banks series. I really like them.

message 4: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) I was thinking the same as Laurie. I'd have every single one of the Kelly brothers if I could !

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments I have been looking at the Maya Banks series myself.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) There is also the Troubleshooters series by Suzanne Brockmann and Seal Team 12 by Marliss Melton.

message 7: by Katya (last edited Aug 20, 2015 04:39PM) (new)

Katya | 327 comments Coming Home Series by Jessica Scott
I'll Be Home For Christmas (Coming Home, #0.5) by Jessica Scott Because of You (Coming Home, #1) by Jessica Scott Anything for You (Coming Home, #1.5) by Jessica Scott Back to You (Coming Home, #2) by Jessica Scott Until There Was You (Coming Home, #3) by Jessica Scott All For You (Coming Home, #4) by Jessica Scott It's Always Been You (Coming Home, #5) by Jessica Scott All I Want for Christmas is You (Coming Home #5.5) by Jessica Scott
Emotional, romantic, realistic read.
What is nice about this series is that the author is also enlisted in the military. So alot of what she is writing about comes from first hand experience.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments LOVE Lora Leigh!!

Jill wrote: "What about Lora Leigh Wild CardWild Card (Elite Ops, #1) by Lora Leigh, probably pretty full on, I have read the lead up to this series, so I know what he has been through but haven't read this book. Poor ma..."

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments LOVE those authors and their books!!

Lauren wrote: "There is also the Troubleshooters series by Suzanne Brockmann and Seal Team 12 by Marliss Melton."

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments LOVE her!

laurie wrote: "You could try Maya Banks series. I really like them."

Rachel the Book Harlot | 217 comments Thank you all so much! I appreciate it!

message 12: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Heather Long and DL Jackson at Decadent Publishing have books with military heroes and/or heroines. You could try them out. I'll look for the links...

message 13: by Kelly (last edited Oct 03, 2012 11:24AM) (new)

Kelly | 6 comments I'm new to this group but just finished a great book by KT Bryan called Edge of Trust. It is about Navy Seal Dillion Caldwell. It is the first book in the series. It has a little of everything from action. mystery to romance.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 14: by Barbara Ann (new)

Barbara Ann (sunmtn) Rachel, I'd recommend Elaine Levine's The Edge of Courage (Red Team). It has a hot alpha male who has PTSD. Her second book Shattered Valor definitely has a tortured hero. You have to read the books in order since the plots are linked.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

message 16: by Barbara Ann (new)

Barbara Ann (sunmtn) Jessica wrote: "Next to Die (SEAL Team 12, #4) by Marliss Melton"

Yes, the hero is tortured and delicious as well.

message 17: by Steamywindows♥♫ (last edited Feb 24, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Steamywindows♥♫ (steamywindows) | 59 comments OK, I just finished J.M. Madden's prequelThe Embattled Road for her new series The Lost and Found. I started and am loving Embattled Hearts (Lost and Found, #1) by J.M. Madden and think this fits with your request.

I do think a bit of awareness is in order; the author is not pulling any punches with what these returning solders are grappling with. I found it compelling, but not comfortable to read the prequel. I would recommend reading it first as it does set up the first three hero's. My admiration and respect goes out to all the RL solders and their families for their sacrifices.

message 18: by Barbara Ann (new)

Barbara Ann (sunmtn) Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "OK, I just finished J.M. Madden's prequelThe Embattled Road for her new series The Lost and Found. I started and am loving Embattled Hearts (Lost and Found, #1) by J.M. Madden and think this fits with your requ..."

This looks like a great series. I'll check it out.

message 19: by Debbie (last edited Feb 24, 2013 10:15AM) (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I highly recommend Marliss Melton. But start her series at the beginning, book #1 is Forget Me Not

Emma ~ The Indecisive Reader ~ (emmatheindecisivereader) | 12 comments Jill wrote: "What about Lora Leigh Wild CardWild Card (Elite Ops, #1) by Lora Leigh, probably pretty full on, I have read the lead up to this series, so I know what he has been through but haven't read this book. Poor ma..."

Love Lora Leigh, love Wild card along with Dangerous Games - lora leigh too.

message 22: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 22 comments And this one:
Masters at Arms (Rescue Me, #1) by Kallypso Masters Masters at Arms

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I have had Masters at Arms for a long time now on my Kindle and have yet to read it. At least I do have it.

message 24: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 22 comments Debbie wrote: "I have had Masters at Arms for a long time now on my Kindle and have yet to read it. At least I do have it."

There are 296 reviews of this book and the average number of stars is 4 and a half.

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I don't go by reviews by people I don't know. I only go by what I like and what my friends recommend. No one recommended this book to me, I found it on my own.

message 26: by Alisa (new)

Alisa I really like The Master at Arms series but they're BDSM not just regular romance. Just FYI

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments Oh yeah I know! LOL!

message 28: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Day | 8 comments Any where the H/h are a little older - 30s or 40s, even?

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat (sailercat) Hard to Hold There's this one! It's a nice read. I gave it about 3 stars? The main characters (it's a triology, I believe) are all in or were in the Navy: Seals. :)

message 30: by Rjsmommy (last edited Jun 02, 2013 04:15AM) (new)

Rjsmommy | 7 comments Kat wrote: "Hard to Hold There's this one! It's a nice read. I gave it about 3 stars? The main characters (it's a triology, I believe) are all in or were in the Navy: Seals. :)"

I loved this series and the subsequent off-shoot series ShadowForce. Both are trilogies and have Hot..hot...military men. It was one of the first military romance series I read.

message 31: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 7 comments Debbie wrote: "Oh yeah I know! LOL!"

Highly recommend Masters at Arms series. The characters are so well developed, each with their own scars; emotionally and physically). Even though I'm not into BDSM novels, these are so good and the BDSM is there for a purpose it just makes sense.

message 32: by Kat (new)

Kat (sailercat) Rjsmommy wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Oh yeah I know! LOL!"

Highly recommend Masters at Arms series. The characters are so well developed, each with their own scars; emotionally and physically). Even though I'm not int..."

I looked up Masters at Arms but in the description, under Authors note, it said something about how the story had a death of the spouse and incest... :/

message 33: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 7 comments Yep...both are part of backgrounds of one main character and then later on the love interest of a main character. The death of a spouse is not really gone into detail much except to set-up that the character is grieving his wife's death and feels guilt for having to be away so much due to his commitment to the military (This is addressed is the Book Three-Adam) The incest plays a major role in book four (Damian's). Maybe two or three short flashbacks to establish the character's abuse but again not pages of graphic details of torment. The events are described briefly to explain the lingering aftermath of the events on the character's life.

message 34: by Kat (new)

Kat (sailercat) Oh okay! I thought that it was um... something else... lol. What exactly is a BDSM? Is it just a sex story or is there more too it? Like romance, and guys falling in love with girls?

message 35: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 7 comments Plenty of romance and falling in love. The BDSM is the sex they prefer. The heroes actually own a BDSM Club which involves some creative bondage, light dom/sub relationships and some whips. But like I said, I never liked reading BDSM (in fact these are the only novels I read with BDSM) but the love stories and issues are so tied to the lifestyle that it doesn't freak me out and they always stress the loving and trust that goes on between the two very consenting adults. No abuse or overbearing domination in anyway. Each story is definitely more a romance than mindless, gratuitous sex story.

message 36: by Kat (new)

Kat (sailercat) THANKYOU! That sounds like something I wouldn't mind reading. :)

message 37: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 7 comments Kat wrote: "THANKYOU! That sounds like something I wouldn't mind reading. :)"

Make sure you read the first novel, Masters at Arms before reading the individual stories because it provides the needed background story for each character and how they come to depend on each other.

message 38: by Kat (new)

Kat (sailercat) Thanks I'll take that into consideration if I choose to read the series :)

message 39: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 242 comments Read Jonesin' For Action (SEALs On Fire #3) by Samantha Cayto and enjoyed it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9730 comments Mod
Neil is a veteran Marine with some PTSD issues. Loved him! Fiance by Friday by Catherine Bybee

message 41: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 242 comments Cool I have that one ready to be read!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 9730 comments Mod
I just finished Connelly's Flame (The Megalodon Team, #3), which is #3 in a series about a SEALs team. It was really good. Definitely recommend.

message 43: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 242 comments Looks good!

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 27 comments I also second the Maya Banks Series. They are excellent. The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1) by Maya Banks No Place to Run (KGI, #2) by Maya Banks Hidden Away (KGI, #3) by Maya Banks Shades of Gray (KGI, #6) by Maya Banks Echoes at Dawn (KGI, #5) by Maya Banks Whispers in the Dark (KGI, #4) by Maya Banks Forged in Steele (KGI, #7) by Maya Banks

Nicole

message 45: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney Are we talking contemporary romance, or romantic suspense? If you want action, I'd recommend Cindy Gerard, Kaylea Cross, Suzanne Brockmann, Christy Reece, Shannon K Butcher...

For 'returned soldier - after the action', try these:

Connected books about New Zealand Special Forces soldiers, following a horrible incident in the Middle East:

Here Comes the Groom by Karina Bliss Stand-In Wife by Karina Bliss Bring Him Home by Karina Bliss A Prior Engagement by Karina Bliss

The Virgin River series features many US Marines who are making their way in the world after their military careers:

Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) by Robyn Carr Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) by Robyn Carr A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4) by Robyn Carr (it's a long series - there're many more books!)

And for a change, this one is about a heroine who has recently left the Australian Army, and how she struggles in the months afterwards: More Than One Night by Sarah Mayberry

message 46: by Dana (new)

Dana | 28 comments I'm on book 12 of the Virgin River series, it's kind of my go to series for low angst sweet romance and some laughs. Great characters :)

Wow, you rock, Sonya!

message 48: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney I try my best. :)

message 49: by bigsigh82 (new)

bigsigh82 | 1 comments Some of you may like this site, too. http://fortheloveofmilitaryromance.bl... It's a site called "For the Love of Military Romance" that list books and author's that publish military romance books.

message 50: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney bigsigh82 wrote: "Some of you may like this site, too. http://fortheloveofmilitaryromance.bl... It's a site called "For the Love of Military Romance" that list books and author's that publish military romanc..."

Thanks for reminding me about that site!
The top story is about one of my favourite books of 2013, too! Lethal Pursuit (Bagram Special Ops #3) by Kaylea Cross

« previous 1