She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Suggestions for Japanese/Korean horror?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Sep 28, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
I'm no stranger to horror flicks. One sub-genre I wish to further delve into is J- or K-horror. I'm a big fan of gore and/or erotica as long as it doesn't mingle too much with explicit rape (which is a common trend in this genre). I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of classics and vintage films so if anyone knows what direction to steer me in, I would gladly appreciate it. Here's a pin board I made of Japanese horror flicks that I've either watched or wouldn't mind watching to give you an idea: http://pinterest.com/ayokayo/japanese...

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen Stevens (helenszone) | 4 comments I can't think of many...

Thirst
Old Boy
Battle Royale
The Grudge
Ringu
Audition

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 133 comments I thought Battle Royale was great. There's a manga for that, right? Kinda interested to read it now. I got through some of Audition, and it really grossed me out, and let me tell you that is a hard thing to do. I don't know of many others either.

message 4: by Nova (last edited Sep 26, 2012 06:49PM) (new)

Nova (desiderata11) Have you ever seen Spider Forest or A Tale of Two Sisters? These two are probably my fave when it comes to Korean horror. A Tale of Two Sisters can seem a little slow for some viewers.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

have you ever read spider woman

message 6: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) OMG Yes!!! Love Korean and Japanese horror! Live for it. Forgive me if I talk too much about it. Word to the wise, most Japanese horror is a bit over the top, but that's what makes it so special.

@Jennifer, yes Battle Royale was originally manga and the movie is a bit shorter than the manga of course, but still good. The manga is a lot bloodier. Battle Royale 2 is good as well. Helen has good suggestions, and I hear that Old Boy is being remade. Please watch the original or read the manga version first is my suggestion. There are some really great Korean horror, Bloody Reunion is my favorite but the Whispering Corridor series is good too. Out of the five movies, Wishing Stairs is probably the best. Some others to try....

Audition
Imprint
I Saw The Devil (not for the squeamish)
White
Toyko Gore Police
The Machine Girl
Alien vs Ninja
Neighbor No. 13

Sorry...I'll stop now :)

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylafiction) | 5 comments I will have to check out some of those, but I thought I saw the Devil was awesome! Soo long, but absolutely worth it.

message 8: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) @Kayla--- Agreed! I didnt even think it was long, I was so into it. But it is definitely one for the collection.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 133 comments Awesome! I'll have to check those out.

message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylafiction) | 5 comments Janelle wrote: "@Kayla--- Agreed! I didnt even think it was long, I was so into it. But it is definitely one for the collection." I guess it just seemed long because I was super tired but it kept my attention and kept me awake.

message 11: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
Helen wrote: "I can't think of many...

Thirst
Old Boy
Battle Royale
The Grudge
Ringu
Audition"

I've seen the last four on that list. Imma check out Thirst and Old Boy. Thanks!

Jennifer wrote: "I thought Battle Royale was great. There's a manga for that, right? Kinda interested to read it now. I got through some of Audition, and it really grossed me out, and let me tell you that is a hard..."

Ahh, yes. Battle Royale is one of my favorite films. I haven't read the manga, but that's definitely in the queue soon.

Nora wrote: "Have you ever seen Spider Forest or A Tale of Two Sisters? These two are probably my fave when it comes to Korean horror. A Tale of Two Sisters can seem a little slow for some viewers."

I never seen Spider Forest. I liked A Tale of Two Sisters! I don't mind slow-paced movies as long as there's some mystery or tension in between scares to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Aleijaa. wrote: "have you ever read spider woman"

As a film? Never heard. What's that about?

Janelle wrote: "OMG Yes!!! Love Korean and Japanese horror! Live for it. Forgive me if I talk too much about it. Word to the wise, most Japanese horror is a bit over the top, but that's what makes it so special.
..."

Pretty solid list of some titles I never watched. Thanks! And please talk too much about it. I'm always looking for some new stuff to watch.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments A while back we watched "Hänsel and Gretel", which is a Korean horror film. Might not be as "hardcore" (I lack a better word right now...) but I really liked it. Maybe you can give it a try. :)

And if you're looking for a really funny one then I recommend "Hausu" (House). I'm not sure if it's kind of a parody, though. xD

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylafiction) | 5 comments Thirst is amazing!

message 14: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) Kayla wrote: "Thirst is amazing!"

I definitely agree with that, I loved that movie. To add to the list, you should try...

Mother
One Missed Call
Uzumaki
Three...Extremes

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments Janelle wrote: "Kayla wrote: "Thirst is amazing!"

I definitely agree with that, I loved that movie. To add to the list, you should try...

Mother
One Missed Call
Uzumaki
Three...Extremes"

Oh yeah, Three... Extremes is good, too!

message 16: by Laurel (last edited Oct 03, 2012 12:33PM) (new)

Laurel Cremant (laurelcremant) | 1 comments You guys had me at Old Boy! I LOVE that movie. I heard that they are doing an american adaptation with Josh Brolin and Elizabeth Olsen.

the whole trilogy is titled the Vengeance Trilogy. However, the movies only link by themes not characters.
1.) Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
2.) Oldboy
3.) Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

All three movies are amazing but I wouldn't really label them horror.

message 17: by Celina (new)

Celina | 18 comments Noroi. It's a documentary style movie but it's pretty spooky. Try it out :D

message 18: by Ghoul (new)

Ghoul Von Horror (beautyisdead) Sick Nursesis so good! Shutter, Machine Girl, Red Shoes, and Oldboy

message 19: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) wow, Sick Nurses is good for Thai horror.....so is Shutter and The Art of the Devil III

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Thomas | 5 comments Janelle wrote: "OMG Yes!!! Love Korean and Japanese horror! Live for it. Forgive me if I talk too much about it. Word to the wise, most Japanese horror is a bit over the top, but that's what makes it so special.
..."

I finally found someone who likes/has seen White!

I've been trying to convince my friends to watch it, but I guess I'm not really selling it.

message 21: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) @Samantha--- White is one of the slower Korean horrors, so if your friend is a horror rookie, it may be more her speed. That doesn't mean that it isn't good. It's nowhere as intense as I Saw The Devil, but it's worth watching.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.