Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for a book

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tory (new)

Tory | 7 comments Hello my name is Tory. I have a love for reading but find myself with a limited time I can spend on read due to school, sports..ect. I don't want to spend my time reading a book I truly don't like when I could be spending it reading a book I do like. There are so many books to choose from I don't even know where to start anymore and I would really like some recommendations for some books you think I might like.

-I do like young adult books but I am finding that it is getting harder for me to find ones I like. I am now 18 years old and really do not want to read about characters that are 13 or 14. I'd like to read something with a character around my age but I am okay with a character that is maybe 16 if they are mature.
- I'm not a big fan of books with a lot of over the top romance, a little romance is nice but too much makes me want through-up :/
- I love books with a scene of humor and the more sarcastic the better
I hate characters that are whinny or weak
Some Kick a$$ action is always welcome and I don't shy away from blood and gore

please help me find some book!! <3

message 2: by Susan (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:36PM) (new)

Susan Stec (thegratefulundead) | 95 comments Hi Tory, here are a few suggestions:

The Apocalypse gene - a fun futuristic world with a kick ass main character. Olivya is awesome. She has an avatar, Ayvilo that is a hoot when she comes to life!
ww.amazon.com/The-Apocalypse-Gene-ebo...

Invisible by Jeanne Bannon
Lola’s not pretty. Lola’s not popular. Lola wishes she could disappear … and then one day she does just that... You'll love Lola.
http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-ebook...

On a Wing and a Dare by Linda Ulleseit
In Tremeirchson, a barn leader’s children are expected to follow their parents into the sky, becoming riders of the magnificent winged horses that are the medieval Welsh village’s legacy. Neither Emma nor Davyd, however, want to follow that tradition. Beautifully written.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

The Awakening (The Bloodlines Series) by Apryl Baker
For the last five years, Alex has been locked up at Compton Academy, a "school" for the emotionally challenged. She calls it the politically correct way of saying they’re all nuts and Alex has no doubts she’s insane. Loved this one.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Awakening-B...

These are all excellent. Let me know if you enjoy them.
Susan

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Hi Tory,

Here are a few more recommendations. The first is YA, but the characters are (I believe) 19 or 20:

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

Another series that I *love* is the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. It is adult, but I think it appeals to all ages. The heroine is definitely kick a$$!:

Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

message 4: by Tammy (last edited Sep 26, 2012 01:22PM) (new)

Tammy | 42 comments Tory,
I'd second Michelle's rec of Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor . Another YA book that I suggest is Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

For adult, I'd recommend Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews , the beginning is a little rough for some ppl (because of the world building) but it's an awesome series! The Mercy Thompson series that Michelle rec'd is great too :)

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Tammy wrote: "Tory,
I'd second Michelle's rec of Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor. Another YA book that I suggest is Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

For adult, I'd recommend [bookcover:Magic Bites|..."

I also agree with Magic Bites since I am right in the middle of reading it right now, lol. The world building is throwing me off some, too, but I'm getting the hang of it and it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the story.

I've never heard of Graceling. Maybe I'll add that to the TBR pile.

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Palm | 18 comments Michelle wrote: "Tammy wrote: "Tory,
I'd second Michelle's rec of Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor. Another YA book that I suggest is Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

For adult, I'd recommend [bookcove..."

I think the Magic Bites one sounds good. I'm going to check that one out. These are all really good suggestions:)

message 7: by Vail (new)

Vail (vailkyrie) | 2 comments I agree, the Mercedes Thompson series is actually rather good.

I also want to add my long time favorite series: The Black Jewels Trilogy Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #1-3) by Anne Bishop

This is a trilogy in one book and has a very wicked dark humor to it. It's a bit of a spin on good v. evil as in Saetan, Daemon and Lucivar are the good guys. The story follows the herione from childhood into young adult into adulthood. The book moves between realms of what you would consider our modern world, what you would consider Hell and what you might consider a realm of in-bewteen and magic. Much laughter and many tears have been shed reading this series. I can't reccomend this one enough.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Vail wrote: "I agree, the Mercedes Thompson series is actually rather good.

I also want to add my long time favorite series: [bookcover:The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Qu..."

That sounds like a pretty good trilogy, Vail. Is it fantasy or UF? I couldn't get a feel for it from the blurb.

message 9: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Palm | 18 comments I love the title of that trilogy

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Cerdanya) | 6 comments I love the Patricia Briggs books, the Mercedes Thompson and the Charles and Anna books. Wonderful series - romance but very subtle. I also really enjoy the Kelley Armstrong "Women of the Underworld" books. Some romance but not a huge amount. And I also second the Ilona Andrews books. The relationship between Kate and Curran takes a long time to build but there is so much more to the storylines than just the romance.

message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 42 comments Michelle wrote: "Tammy wrote: "Tory,

For adult, I'd recommend [bookcove..."

Understanding their version of Atlanta is rough...good for you for sticking with it. I didn't on my first try :)

Oh Michelle, Graceling is soooo good! I'd categorize it as YA Fantasy

message 12: by Drew (new)

Drew Teter | 3 comments I'd have to recommend the Zero Sight series.
Zero Sight (Zero Sight, #1) by B. Justin Shier Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2) by B. Justin Shier
It's by a relatively new author but he has one of the best writing styles I've ever read. The main character is smart, witty, and motivated. The banter and side commentary are hilarious while the overall tone of the book is serious and tends to be a little on the darker side of things.
I think it matches what you're looking for

message 13: by Tory (new)

Tory | 7 comments Thank you everyone for your wonderful recommendations!! and I do agree that the Kate Daniels series and graceling and the Mercedes Thompson spin-off with Charles and Anna. were amazing books! Seeing that we all agree on this I have no dought that the rest of the books you guys have recommended will be just as good! :D

message 14: by Vail (new)

Vail (vailkyrie) | 2 comments Michelle wrote: "That sounds like a pretty good trilogy, Vail. Is it fantasy or UF? I couldn't get a feel for it from the blurb. "

It's Fantasy but gives a really different twist/explanation/evolution on certain races for what is usually labeled as demons, vampires and the undead etc that we usually see in UF.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Vail wrote: "Michelle wrote: "That sounds like a pretty good trilogy, Vail. Is it fantasy or UF? I couldn't get a feel for it from the blurb. "

It's Fantasy but gives a really different twist/explanation/evolu..."

Cool! Adding it to my TBR : )

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 6 comments I just read The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater and really liked it, but be warned that it's the first book in the series and the others aren't out yet, so you're in for a bit of a wait to find out how the story ends.

Bones of Faerie (Faerie, #1) by Janni Lee Simner is a beautiful and haunting book. I think the heroine counts as kick-ass although she doesn't really discover her strength until about halfway through.

If you're looking for something a bit different, Karen Healey's Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey is based in Maori mythology and makes a nice break from the usual vampire/werewolves/fey. There are still fairies, actually, but they have a really different flavor. And the heroine is a tae kwan do champion, so that's cool.

There's also a couple of sequels to Graceling now, if you didn't already know--Fire and Bitterblue. I haven't read Bitterblue yet, but I liked Fire.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Shannon wrote: "I just read The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater and really liked it, but be warned that it's the first book in the series and the others aren't out yet, so you're in for a bit of a wait to find out..."

Thanks for the recs, Shannon. I've heard of Guardian of the Dead, and I thought it looked pretty interesting.

message 18: by Shawna (last edited Nov 05, 2012 11:47AM) (new)

Shawna (shoezimm) Tory,

You might enjoy some of Tanya Huff's work..."Summon the Keeper" is the first in a trilogy that is very witty and has a female lead who kicks butt. There is romance with a very likable male lead, but its very tame and not over-the-top and the series takes a fun romp through myth and fey.

If vampires, werewolves, and zombies are your thing then you'll enjoy her "Blood" series, though I found the spin off "Smoke" books more enjoyable.

message 19: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Shawna wrote: "Tory,

You might enjoy some of Tanya Huff's work..."Summon the Keeper" is the first in a trilogy that is very witty and has a female lead who kicks butt. There is romance with a very likable male ..."

I have been wanting to read those. I recently read the 2 books of Tanya Huff's Gale Women series:

The Enchantment Emporium and The Wild Ways and liked them a lot.I like Huff's style and would like to read more of her books.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 15 comments Forbiddenis an enjoyable read

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments No one has yet mentioned Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series that starts with Stormfront (Dresdenfilerne, #1) by Jim Butcher . Fun, funny and lots of action.

Charles de Lint's Newford or cities in the southwest are places where magic, poverty, hope and homelessness coexist. He writes urban fantasy that takes place in the here and now, with elements we don't slow down to see. Look for Memory & Dream by Charles de Lint , Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8) by Charles de Lint , Waifs and Strays by Charles de Lint , The Painted Boy by Charles de Lint , to name some. His books don't need to be read in any particular order.

Nina Kiriki Hoffman is another writer that a lot of regular readers of UF have never heard of, inexplicably. Look at A Red Heart of Memories by Nina Kiriki Hoffman , A Fistful of Sky by Nina Kiriki Hoffman , Spirits That Walk in Shadow by Nina Kiriki Hoffman .

And Emma Bull's War for the Oaks by Emma Bull !

Also The Borderlands series, a shared universe, where several of the authors above play in the sandbox. A lot of short story collections, Borderland (Borderland #1) by Terri Windling , Welcome to Bordertown by Holly Black , The Essential Bordertown by Terri Windling , some novels Finder (Borderlands) by Emma Bull , Nevernever by Will Shetterly .

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (katmax100) You might Hounded - the iron druid series has a 1200 year old main character who is both funny and sarcastic.

You might also enjoy (or loathe) A Madness of Angels

There seems be more UF for YA than adults sometimes....It can be very frustrating if you actually want an adult character that isn't all mushy and romantic throughout the entire book.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Kathy wrote: "You might also enjoy (or loathe) A Madness of Angels"

That comment just made me add the book to my tbr. I am fascinated by those love/hate book, lol.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 15 comments Michelle L. wrote: "Kathy wrote: "You might also enjoy (or loathe) A Madness of Angels"

That comment just made me add the book to my tbr. I am fascinated by those love/hate book, lol."

It's very British (says the American living in London). Whilst the ideas are very original, the descriptions are layered and can be complex/convoluted.

As a general rule I find a lot of American genre fiction very 'in your face' - with immediacy and action. There is definitely action, it just takes a bit of time and the writing is more 'literary'.

If you like this, I would also highly recommend
The City's Son (The Skyscraper Throne, #1) by Tom Pollock

Other London-based genre novels are written by Benedict Jacka, Ben Aaronovich, Suzanne McLeod, China Mieville - to name a few...

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle wrote: "s a general rule I find a lot of American genre fiction very 'in your face' - with immediacy and action. There is definitely action, it just takes a bit of time and the writing is more 'literary'."

I agree that there is a big difference between US and British authors. Are you saying that British authors tend to be more literary? If so, I agree.

I like Canadian authors as well, such as Charles de Lint and Margaret Atwood. Atwood's novels are sci fi and fantasy as well, but can be pretty dense.

message 26: by Michelle (last edited Nov 20, 2012 06:29AM) (new)

Michelle | 15 comments Michelle L. wrote: "I agree that there is a big difference between US and British authors. Are you saying that British authors tend to be more literary? If so, I agree"

Yes - British authors generally more 'literary'. And I'm not making a judgment call, just an observation, as I actually like both styles - just depends on the day of the week.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle wrote: "Yes - British authors generally more 'literary'. And I'm not making a judgment call, just an observation, as I actually like both styles - just depends on the day of the week. "

No, I completely understand and agree. I find this to be true even in British television. I love "Being Human" (the UK version) because of the undercurrents of deeper issues about what it means to be human.

Otoh...Walking Dead is pretty deep at times, too.

Writers, like everyone, are a part of their culture and their culture is reflected in their work.