Young Adult Contemporary Romance discussion

❤ ARCHIVES > Love Scenes... Too Much?!?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn (evtoki) | 109 comments I find that in a lot of romance YA books, there are (hush, hush) sex scenes and I find that way to much. I ignore sometimes but sometimes it's just too much. They put in too much detail and it is so unsuspecting... (I hope I'm allowed to say this topic on here...) Well I just wanted to put this out there...

message 2: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle I don't mind sex scene, actually. It's a part of human life. But I agree that it should not be included too much in YA since some readers are still too young for that topic.

message 3: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn (evtoki) | 109 comments True, true! I just find it inappropriate, sometimes..

message 4: by Gisbelle (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:29PM) (new)

Gisbelle Of course. Once I read a YA and I didn't expect it to contain that much sex scene. It was more like erotica to me :)

message 5: by 『Hailey』 (new)

『Hailey』 | 8 comments I don't mind sex scenes in YA books but it shouldn't be details. Leave those for the Mature YA / New Adult books. I will definitely feel uncomfortable when the characters are 15-16 and having sex. I'm okay with 17+ though (not sure why one year make a difference but it does lol)

message 6: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle 『Hailey』 wrote: "I don't mind sex scenes in YA books but it shouldn't be details. Leave those for the Mature YA / New Adult books. I will definitely feel uncomfortable when the characters are 15-16 and having sex. ..."

I feel the same :)

message 7: by Marga (new)

Marga (anneamargemallow) | 9 comments 『Hailey』 wrote: "I don't mind sex scenes in YA books but it shouldn't be details. Leave those for the Mature YA / New Adult books. I will definitely feel uncomfortable when the characters are 15-16 and having sex. ..."

I was just about to write this! I completely agree with you!

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) Well, I teach 9th grade and let me tell you that MANY (unfortunately) children are having sex by the age of 13-14 AND they are open about it in class. I don't ask, but they tell. Example: One student just out of the clear blue sky said, "I took 2 pregnancy tests yesterday." I said, "Are you pregnant?" She said, "No, but you have to have 2 negative pregnancy tests before they give you a depot (sp) shot." I said, "Does your mom know?" She said, "Oh yeah, my boyfriend pretty much lives with us and he sleeps in my room with me."

That is the sad state of our day!

On the other hand I went to eat in a restaurant where an ex student of mine works and we got to talking and she told me she is still a virgin and she's 21. Her mom taught her to honor her body, etc. and she wants to save herself for marriage. They are few and far between, but there are some young people who wait until they are mature enough to make that choice.

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Wow... They just grew up too fast :( Do you think they might regret it someday, you know, being sexually active too early? I know it is not unusual, but having too many partners doesn't sound very appealing to me.

message 10: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I don't mind it. As long as be a responsible reader. (my mom says that always when I got Fifty Shades)

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Williams (asgwilli) I personally am okay with it.. but I am sure my age has to do with it. I do agree that details should be spared, for example in the Iron Fey series, Ash and Meghan make the decision to do "it." There were no details about it and was only about a few sentences in length. On the other hand few weeks ago, I read a book in which I would be mortified for someone younger than 16 to read. It was a contemporary romance, and the scenes were so very detailed that I blushed.

I think there's a line for YA that authors should be aware of, and theres nothing wrong with sex scenes because sexuality is only natural. And it's silly to think that YA are not nor have not thought about the subject. I feel that it is the author's responsibility, if they add such scene, to teach the reader something, be it to wait for the right person, use protection, don't rush... etc.

message 12: by Evi (new)

Evi (evi07) | 6 comments I think I would be okay with that ? But then I'd never come across a YA book with sex scenes so I'm not sure how I would react. hahas

message 13: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Ashley wrote: "I personally am okay with it.. but I am sure my age has to do with it. I do agree that details should be spared, for example in the Iron Fey series, Ash and Meghan make the decision to do "it." The..."

That's what I think too :) Maybe because of the age thing like you said lol... I love how you put it also..waiting for the right person, using protection. These are good messages :D

message 14: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Evi wrote: "I think I would be okay with that ? But then I'd never come across a YA book with sex scenes so I'm not sure how I would react. hahas"

Normally if it is YA, the intimate scene is not as strong as the New Adult. :)

message 15: by Evi (new)

Evi (evi07) | 6 comments Oooh ~ Hahas. Probably around the lines of take offs clothes and did it. That's all ? Hahas ! yeah but I guess I would prefer without sex scenes. Keep it innocent Lols

message 16: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Yes, Evi. No vivid description in Young Adult :)

message 17: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Rabinowitz (naomirabinowitz) | 8 comments I don't mind sex scenes -- some can be quite hot -- but I prefer graphic scenes when the focus is on what the characters are feeling as opposed to all of the clinical stuff. If a scene goes into detail about what kind of condom was used and how it was put on, that's when, for me, the scene stops being sexy and starts making me feel as if I'm intruding upon the couple. I suppose that's the mark of a good writer, but I like having to use at least a little of my imagination.

message 18: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle lol... That'd be too much info when the author mentions how to put on the condom or the brand :)

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments Sex belongs in YA but isn’t always done properly so,
Some Mistakes with Sex in YA
1. Dragging out characters not having sex: Yes this is YA, but if you have two people that get intense every time they make out but something always stops them RIGHT before they take the next step that is also a problem. You get to a point in a relationship where sex is the next step and if you are leading the characters in that direction then see them thru that direction.
2. Having Sex Premature: In some books I feel like the characters have sex too soon into their relationship, and it is not meaningful to either of them like it should be. While not every teen has “meaningful” sex in real life, I feel that authors have a responsibility to convey to readers that it should be.
3. Too much details: While sex does belong YA, the act doesn't need to go into TOO much details. Book like Graceling and Beautiful Disasters went into details that belong in an Adult book.

message 20: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Nicely said, Jessica.

More books that show explicit sexual encounters are New Adult (mostly the characters are in college).

message 21: by Mitsy (last edited Nov 20, 2012 02:07PM) (new)

Mitsy (mitsyc) The sex scenes that are tasteful, short, and leave things to the imagination of the reader are my favorite. I enjoy when an author focuses more on the story than the sex. Build the story, add some depth to the characters and make the sex scenes a secondary part of the book. :)

message 22: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Mitsy wrote: "The sex scenes that are tasteful, short, and leave things to the imagination of the reader are my favorite. I enjoy when an author focuses more on the story than the sex. Build the story, add some ..."

I'm so with you on this one. If the readers want to read more steamy sex, they would read adult books, right? :D

message 23: by *TreySongzWife* (new)

*TreySongzWife* (jukeboxmusiclover) Gisbelle wrote: "I'm so with you on this one.If the readers want to read more steamy sex,they would read adult books,right?:D

I totaly agree on this one:}

message 24: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle :D great to have people with the same thing in mind :D

message 25: by *TreySongzWife* (new)

*TreySongzWife* (jukeboxmusiclover) I know :D heehee

message 26: by Kinsey (new)

Kinsey (goodreadscomsunset3446) | 31 comments I don't mind them, but I hate it when the characters just barely know each other and they've been on one date or something and they are already going at it. Kind of like in The Goddess test my Aimee Carter, I understand they were drugged, but seriously? I guess for me it's how much I know the characters in general that it matters. Some books tell the story, others let you form relationships with the characters as well as the story. So basically for me I guess it's just how much I know about the character in general, no matter how odd that might sound.

message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee (movingxpictures) I don't really mind them so much, depending on the amount of detail. I mean, there's a reason I'm not reading adult romances. I don't want a play by play of what they're doing.

message 28: by Sharlay (new)

Sharlay Author I am older so I don't feel uncomfortable as such but I do agree that for YA books the details should really be spared as it can force them to be introduced to more mature themes a little too early. I teach drama to kids aged 4-17yrs and I must say that some of them are awfully forward for their age and it can be quite shocking at times. I just published a YA book and I made the consious decision not to put in any sex scenes, there are kissing scenes but I felt that if any of my older audiences were reading they can just use their imagination.

message 29: by JadeShea (new)

JadeShea The sex doesn't bother me in YA books. To me it actually makes it seem more realistic when they author goes beyond kissing. There are some books that just have the characters kiss through the whole thing and while that could possibly be true it just doesn't seem realistic to me. Most people now days are having sex very young, but if you think about it maybe its not so young really. I mean in the Middle Ages women were married and pregnant between 15-17. Maybe even younger. So I think sex should be in YA novels in detail or not as long as it goes with the story.

message 30: by Evi (new)

Evi (evi07) | 6 comments What do you guys think of gay sex scenes in ya novels ? I came upon one scene in a book and was shocked haha. Yeah, I think it's very uncomfortable ?

message 31: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Normally if it is a YA GLBT, the sex scenes are not very detail. I have read a few of those, and I think I am ok with that. I am ok with reading YA GLBT.

But when I read on adult GLBT, I had to skip the scenes. I am not homophobic, just reading it in great detail is not very comfortable.

message 32: by Evi (new)

Evi (evi07) | 6 comments Yeah, it's a little unsettling to know how it's done haha... I can still accept kissing but once it's make out session I get weirded out. Not used to it I guess

message 33: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn (evtoki) | 109 comments I know, exactly!

message 34: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 523 comments I tend to read YA books with a description of just a line, which is more than sufficient really not interested to hear all about it please

message 35: by Cassia (new)

Cassia | 2 comments no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no. good romance does not include sex crap. no. sorry!! i feel really strongly about it. i read hex hall,a pretty good book but its mentioned and the come to close to it.... if you want good romance read DIVERGENT AND INSURGENT by veronica roth... its good. really good. omg!! :)

message 36: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Rock (jkrock) | 43 comments I love the romance in Divergent/Insurgent, Cassia! I also love it in so many YA books like the City of Bones and other books that deal with sex realistically (as is Yup- it happens) but not in a gratuitous way. Sex is a part of most romantic relationships- it brings us closer and that is true of teens whos are dealing with the newness of it all- including first loves, first heartbreaks... so many firsts. It's unrealistic to think that sex would not be a 'first' that we would address as authors.... even for characters who've had sex enough times that it's a non-issue. What's important to me as a writer is that the 'sex' scenes are organic, make sense, and further the story/relationship in meaningful some way- whether it is to bring a couple closer or to tear them apart. I do not include erotica type details- but as a Harlequin romance writer, I don't do that for my adult love scenes either... there is a lot we can infer a readers that touch our hearts without using specific language. Sometimes less is more in capturing the deep romance of the moment :)

message 37: by Carla (new)

Carla Hanna (carlajhanna) | 25 comments I'm frustrated with the push for erotica in teen novels. I rejected a book deal for my series because the editor pushed so hard for sex scenes constantly. She wanted a sex scene every time the protagonist kissed a guy. She loved the plot twists and thought more sex would give older readers the steam that they want now in romance novels. She said YA romance doesn't sell - only a few do compare to the many in adult romance. "If you want to be commercial, write steamy scenes. If you want to sit on shelves, write YA romance."

Unfortunately, if you search young adult romance on Kobo, for example, you have to wade through 28 erotica titles to find Starlet's Web. I did a screenshot: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

Bummer, but I think the tide will turn when we all get tired of whips and chains and want to read love stories again. I love LOVE STORIES.

message 38: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle I am so with you 100% on this Carla! It is as if we don't have enough erotica already. Keep teen romance clean.

The success of a book does not solely depend steamy scenes, but the quality of the book itself. The wording, the pace, characters... are all important. We cannot turn a crappy book into a bestseller by just adding steamy scene.

I do admire you for holding on to your belief and value, Carla :)

message 39: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (rainyvaleria) | 34 comments Ugh :/ I hate when I'm reading a good book and the romance scenes are just too much! I mean, romance like, some kisses, hugs, making out, and such, is alright, but then they go into something so detailed that you can picture it even though you should not picture it :/

message 40: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle Valeria wrote: "Ugh :/ I hate when I'm reading a good book and the romance scenes are just too much! I mean, romance like, some kisses, hugs, making out, and such, is alright, but then they go into something so de..."

Yes, some books are pretty graphic. I don't mind graphic steamy scenes in adult books, but it is a no-no for teen romance.

message 41: by Carla (new)

Carla Hanna (carlajhanna) | 25 comments Gisbelle wrote: "I am so with you 100% on this Carla! It is as if we don't have enough erotica already. Keep teen romance clean.

The success of a book does not solely depend steamy scenes, but the quality of the b..."

Thanks! I wonder how many YA authors can say "NO" and I'm certain that 2013 will offer a flood of steamy in YA romance to try to hook that older reader. That's too bad for the YA genre. It's hard enough for teens to figure out how they want to shape their lives.

I am glad Veronica Roth's books are great. She self-pubbed at first, too. She's wonderful and so talented!

message 42: by Carla (new)

Carla Hanna (carlajhanna) | 25 comments J.K. wrote: "I love the romance in Divergent/Insurgent, Cassia! I also love it in so many YA books like the City of Bones and other books that deal with sex realistically (as is Yup- it happens) but not in a gr..."

Totally!

message 43: by Taral (new)

Taral | 9 comments I like this topic... Atm im reading bared to you which isnt YA romance but there are so many steamy scenes that im literally turning pages reading the same thing over and over. Sex is part of life but in books they just make it so overdone that they remove the beauty of it. I just read fault in our stars recently and i liked their sweet lovestory. There wasnt much but whatevr was written about made me feel nice about hazel and gus.i widh some things are left to imagination. I guess by using the right words instead of explicitly writing you can still feel the love btwn 2 individuals

message 44: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) Even I agree on this thing ..... Sumtymes authors go overboard while writing scenes n tht to repeats in ever 2 nd or thrd page..... Its like they don't have nything to do except making out .... And plz just spare details sumtymes its lik grosss..... I like sweet love scenes where few words explains all no need to say ever fraction of action .... I just skips the part ... N read... As named YA romance it should stick to the YA reader but these scenes are not suitable for thm ..... Very few author gives the sweet and salty love story where scenes are shaped for younger reader ... I appreciate their affort....

message 45: by Bronte Ellen (new)

Bronte Ellen I don't mind reading them, not like really detailed ones like some have, that makes me scwirm and feel like you are reading something really personal. But I still read it, I dont know how authors write it, thats my question!?

message 46: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle It depends on the targeted readers. If the books are intended for younger readers, intimate scenes should not be included.

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Gisbelle wrote: "It depends on the targeted readers. If the books are intended for younger readers, intimate scenes should not be included."

I agree... it doesn't bother me to read intimate scenes in new adult or adult romance, but I'm shocked when these scenes are in young adult books because I imagine young teenagers are reading these books & it seems a little inappropriate.

message 48: by Carla (new)

Carla Hanna (carlajhanna) | 25 comments Yep, it's a sad state in publishing right now and in film. Magic Mike was a huge teen movie - major blockbuster - with a 3-way scene and prominent bisexual character. Lindsey Lohan just did a film with a 4-way. Harry Potter Daniel Radcliff just starred in an indie-film with a 4-way. According to book numbers, most YA readers have read Shades. The film is shooting as I'm writing this. YA editors are confused. The one I worked with pushed me so hard to add sex and dump the YA genre altogether. If you look at what is selling, it's sex: 2 of the 5 best selling book series were erotica in 2012. Bummer. But we don't HAVE TO read it, right? I don't like erotica and haven't read Shades - the world's #1 series. I don't think it should be in YA - but I know I'm in the minority. And I think of myself as a liberal woman, not a conservative Christian. Go figure.

message 49: by Hajar (new)

Hajar Ali Saleh | 1 comments Gisbelle wrote: "I don't mind sex scene, actually. It's a part of human life. But I agree that it should not be included too much in YA since some readers are still too young for that topic."

witch book are you talking about..??

message 50: by AnnaLisa (new)

AnnaLisa Grant (annalisagrant) I agree. I think it'd be so great to have characters who exemplify what it means to wait until you're older/ready/married. It's not going to change society, but I think if there were at least male characters who had integrity...who said they weren't going to sleep with their gf character because they didn't want their relationship to become clouded by sex, then maybe it wouldn't seem so foreign/so impossible.

« previous 1