What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Fantasy trilogy; man becomes champion then regent. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kei (new)

Kei Akagi | 2 comments I'm looking for a book trilogy where the protagonist is the champion for some kingdom or empire.
During the ceremony at the beginning of the first book to become the champion he notices the sword he has to swear on or be bound to or something (I can't remember what) has a defect and breaks it.
The spell or something put on him makes him want to do his mission no matter what and he ends dragging himself through the mud in the rain when he wants to stop. Something about it being necessary because the former champions didn't want to do their jobs or kept failing or something.
He goes on to a monster in a lake attacking(I think) a fishing village. His axe either becomes stuck in it or he loses hold of it in the monsters back.
Another thing I remember is he duels some guy and grabs his sword cutting his hand open and I think in book two he gets captured or somebody gets captured and he rescues them.
In the last book he becomes the princesses regent until she's old enough to rule herself.

I've been trying to find this series for ages but have had no luck. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

message 2: by Bryan457 (new)

Bryan457 | 284 comments I thought it might be The Sword of Change series,
Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1) by Patricia Bray Devlin's Honor (Sword of Change, #2) by Patricia Bray Devlin's Justice (Sword of Change, #3) by Patricia Bray
but the details don't seem to match up as closely as I remembered. Oh well; I hope someone comes up with the right one for you.

message 3: by Kei (new)

Kei Akagi | 2 comments Bryan457 wrote: "I thought it might be The Sword of Change series,
Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1) by Patricia BrayDevlin's Honor (Sword of Change, #2) by Patricia BrayDevlin's Justice (Sword of Change, #3) by Patricia Bray
but the details don't seem to match up as clo..."

Thanks, that's it. I read a few years ago so my memory of it probably wasn't very accurate.
Thanks again!

message 4: by Bryan457 (new)

Bryan457 | 284 comments Great!
It may not be your memory.
I only read the first one, and it's been a few years since I read it as well.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I read all three & liked them. Apparently I only reviewed the first one here:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
but I gave them all 3 stars with an extra 1/2 star for the first. A good trilogy, but not great. As I recall, the 3d book was more satisfying than the 2d.