English Mysteries Club discussion

The Red House Mystery
This topic is about The Red House Mystery
Book of the Month > October 2012 - The Red House Mystery

Comments (showing 1-50 of 153) (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jean-Luke (last edited Sep 25, 2012 05:31AM) (new)

Jean-Luke (proteaprince) | 311 comments Mod
The Book of the Month for October 2012 is The Red House Mystery by A.A Milne. It is in the public domain so it free on most e-book readers as well as on websites like Project Gutenberg. Discussion opens on October 15th.

RosaG (PooksHill) | 2 comments Really happy with this choice. Love A.A.Milne and this mystery has gotten good ratings. I downloaded it a while back but haven't read it yet. This is a good incentive.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy (goodreadscomamylouise) | 4 comments Looking forward to reading this one. :)

message 4: by G (new) - rated it 3 stars

G Hodges (GLH1) | 30 comments This is a free download on the Kindle (only today?)

Tracey (Stewartry) I think it's always available for free - as Jean-Luke said, it's in the public domain, so the Gutenberg version is always out there.

message 6: by G (new) - rated it 3 stars

G Hodges (GLH1) | 30 comments Okay. Thanks.

message 7: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie | 8 comments I just got my Ebook and it was. 0.99!! Can't wait to get started!

message 8: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I'll be starting this week some time. I "mooched" a copy a few months ago.

Jemidar I'm about half way through :-).

Leanne (belly-dancingbookworm) I finished reading this at the start of the week. I bought a Kindle copy that also included a story entitled The Mystery of the Yellow Room by another author whose name I've forgotten, so might read that too :)

Jemidar I've got The Mystery of the Yellow Room waiting for me on Mt TBR. It intrigued me because apparently it's a locked room mystery.

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (KimMR) Jemidar wrote: "I've got The Mystery of the Yellow Room waiting for me on Mt TBR. It intrigued me because apparently it's a locked room mystery."

I've got in on Kindle too, but as I recall, Hayes read it and didn't like it very much.

message 13: by Hayes (last edited Oct 01, 2012 03:45AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Kim wrote: "... but as I recall, Hayes read it [Mystery of the Yellow Room] and didn't like it very much"

My objection was more to the translation (my edition was a Gutenberg freebie), which was hysterically funny. I kept hearing Hercule Poirot's voice in my head.

ETA: Kim... why don't you translate it? I bet you'd do a good job.

Nathan (nathlawless) Hi! I'm new to the group, but I can't wait to read this one and discuss it with you guys. :) I have had this downloaded for a while as well!

By the way, I think it's a great idea to wait until halfway through the month to discuss details of the book. Very smart.

message 15: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 437 comments I'm going to see if I can find a copy thru the library loan program -- fingers crossed!

message 16: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 437 comments I had to go check why The Mystery of the Yellow Room sounded familiar, and I found The Yellow Room by Mary Roberts Rhineheart. I think I may have read that waaaay back in the murky past. Or it may have been a translation of The Mystery. Obviously made a huge impression on me....

message 17: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 437 comments I'm going to try to snag a copy of The Red House Mystery thru the library loan program; fingers crossed!

Karen Lowe | 23 comments Great. Not read this one so looking forward to it.

message 19: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Williams (1289) | 55 comments I am starting the Red House Mystery tomorrow. Can't wait! Yvonne

message 20: by Nan (new) - added it

Nan | 1 comments Hello folks; I'm new and just got the book as a Kindle download as G suggested. Looking forward to the discussion!

Virginia | 10 comments I'm new to the group, just downloaded and looking forward to the read!

I'm currently re-reading Dorothy Sayers.

message 22: by Hayes (last edited Oct 04, 2012 02:43PM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Oh, how fun Virginia. I love Sayers. I'm reading PD James' Dalgliesh series.

Just started "red house" today.

Virginia | 10 comments It's been a while since I've read PD James. I'm thinking with this group, I will be reading her again :)

Leslie Virginia wrote: "I'm new to the group, just downloaded and looking forward to the read!

I'm currently re-reading Dorothy Sayers."

Enjoy!! I do that every 5 years or so... I enjoy them just as much as I did when I first discovered Sayers' books in high school! Welcome to the group...

message 25: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz | 2 comments Looking forward to the book and the discussion! Just downloaded annotated Kindle ed. for 0.99.

Virginia | 10 comments Just read Red House, and I just loved it, looking forward to discussion.

message 27: by Cate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cate (CatesBookNutHut) I just finished this book. It took some getting used to but I'm really looking forward to the discussion.

Dennis Golombek Just downloaded "Red House" on my NOOK for $0.00 from B&N.

Tracey (Stewartry) I finished yesterday ... I was a little disappointed. I loved it when I read it years ago, and this time I just kept thinking "But - What about - Why - But - " It might have been partly remembering the Raymond Chandler take on it (there are major spoilers in the essay!), but I had to knock a star off my rating.

message 30: by Jemidar (last edited Oct 08, 2012 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar Yes, I was a little disappointed to and the more I think about it the more plot holes I find. It was still good fun in a Bertie Wooster 'what ho' way though ;-).

Tracey (Stewartry) It was! It was a fun read. But the mystery ... On the surface, very clever; a couple of levels below the surface, not so much.

message 32: by G (new) - rated it 3 stars

G Hodges (GLH1) | 30 comments I just finished it and thought it was fun as Jemidar said, in a Jeeves and Wooster kind of way. It definitely had an Edwardian feel to it. Dated, but who cares? I knew who did it early on, but the details were good and there were times when it was quite witty. (Good grief, it transported me and I am using Victorian Brit speak)

Nathan (nathlawless) I just finished it as well! I enjoyed it, and appreciated what a quick read it was.

Kathy | 130 comments Just completed the Red House Mystery. Looking forward to discussions.

message 35: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments Oh help, still haven't started it. And out tonight. Too many reading commitments!

message 36: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 437 comments Still waiting for a copy to miraculously appear at my library...

message 37: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Jane wrote: "Oh help, still haven't started it. And out tonight. Too many reading commitments!"

I finished a few days ago. It's a quick read, Jane. You shouldn't have trouble.

message 38: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments Finally started yesterday...I recognize Milne's voice even though it's such a different genre.

Dennis Golombek I've been sidetracked by the baseball playoffs this week and haven't gotten too far. The spirit to read is great but the flesh is weak. I love locked room murderd!

Karen Lowe | 23 comments Finished it at last, got a bit sidetracked with other things. Very much in the style of an early Agatha Christie, I thought, but enjoyed reading it.

message 41: by Jean-Luke (new)

Discussion for The Red House Mystery is now officially open! What did you guys think?

message 42: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) I really enjoyed it, I must say. Although it did drag a little in the middle where it was trying to build up suspense.

Did anyone else see Bill as Winnie-the-Pooh?

[Jean-Luke: A moderating tip:

if you link the book in the "This topic is about" space (edit the message and you will see it), we will automatically have the links to our reviews shown next to our names.]

message 43: by Jemidar (last edited Oct 15, 2012 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar The introduction in my copy says there are theories about Antony being Christopher Robin and Bill being Pooh Bear or at least good prototypes but mostly dismisses it. I'm afraid I'm not personally familiar enough with either to be able to say. (The last time someone read Winnie-the-Pooh to me it was in Latin and although it sounded great I can't say I understood a lot of it!)

message 44: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) That's funny Jemidar. That's basically what I said in my review.

message 45: by Jean-Luke (new)

Thank you, Hayes! Very clever.

message 46: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments Oh no, I don't see a WTP link at all. The genres are just too different.

This from Wiki:

Looking back on this period (in 1926) Milne observed that when he told his agent that he was going to write a detective story, he was told that what the country wanted from a "Punch humorist" was a humorous story; when two years later he said he was writing nursery rhymes, his agent and publisher were convinced he should write another detective story; and after another two years he was being told that writing a detective story would be in the worst of taste given the demand for children's books. He concluded that "the only excuse which I have yet discovered for writing anything is that I want to write it; and I should be as proud to be delivered of a Telephone Directory con amore as I should be ashamed to create a Blank Verse Tragedy at the bidding of others."

I think he just decided to give a detective story a go because they were popular and he probably read quite a few in his more idle moments. This book has a written-for-fun air about it.

Tracey (Stewartry) The one line that really yelled "Milne!" to me was "Perhaps it was true that inspectors liked dragging ponds, but the question was, Did Cayleys like having them dragged?" That was so Pooh.

message 48: by Jemidar (last edited Oct 15, 2012 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar Jane wrote: "Oh no, I don't see a WTP link at all. The genres are just too different.

This from Wiki:

Looking back on this period (in 1926) Milne observed that when he told his agent that he was going to writ..."

Jane he wrote it for his father who was a great fan of mysteries but as A.A. saw it they were all flawed so he set about to write the perfect mystery and once he was satisfied he'd done it he moved on. One of the things he disliked was that the "detective" usually had a love interest which he said took up his precious time when he should have been detecting so didn't include one in his own story. Did you notice how all the women were shuttled out the door ASAP after the murder happened? Well, that's why.

This book was really popular and a best seller when it was published and he was begged to to do more but he just wasn't interested.

message 49: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane (janesteen) | 91 comments It was far from the perfect mystery imho...but an entertaining read and I really wish he'd done more.

message 50: by Jemidar (last edited Oct 15, 2012 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar No, I personally don't think he achieved his goal either but apparently he was satisfied. And his dad liked it :-).

« previous 1 3 4