Let the Right One In Let the Right One In discussion

What is your favorite vampire book?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amber For me its this book. Let right one in scared me, intrested me, and shocked the hell out of me. I love books that have it all and though the romance was little to none it is my all time favorite vampire novel.

Courtney I really loved The Strain trilogy by Del Torro. It really puts a whole new spin on the entire vampire genre. It was very refreshing to read a book that turned everything I've ever read about vampires upside down. It's a fantastic read, I would highly recommend it to anyone tired of the same old vampire stories their used to reading.

Amber @ courtney

Its funny that you said if ur tired of the same old vampire tales because thats esactly why I picked this book up. I dont usually read anything like the strain, that kinda read like a movie script to me. I liked it again it was just different reading for me.

Another good series is the antita blake books. I stopped reading them around the 12th book because . . . Well that a whole diff. discussion!

message 4: by Fatin (new) - added it

Fatin I have to say Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles, they do lose their touch after a few books, but the first three are abso-frikkin-lutely brilliant. I suppose I like sexy monsters, that will hurt you. Lestat is one of my favourite characters ever. And the books make you think. The third one discusses cannibalism and I never thought I'd find myself looking at it objectively, but here I was, doing so. Also, I love the description of what beauty is in the novels. They touch some very deep themes. My favourite out of all of them would be: The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Anne Rice . Give it a shot if you like vampires that are terrifying and who question themselves and are learned and think about whether they're evil or not without whining (except for Louis, be wary, he whines a lot). :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Amber wrote: "For me its this book. Let right one in scared me, intrested me, and shocked the hell out of me. I love books that have it all and though the romance was little to none it is my all time favorite va..."

Yes!! Let the right one in is the BEST VAMPIRE BOOK...E-VER!

Amber @ jason

Holy crap somebody actually thinks so too! I never actually met anyone who thought 'let the right one in' was that great. I dont even try to explain it to people because there is so much sh*t in that book. Its amazing.

Elaine Amber wrote: "For me its this book. Let right one in scared me, intrested me, and shocked the hell out of me. I love books that have it all and though the romance was little to none it is my all time favorite va..."

I'm with you Amber. I read this a few years ago and was totally enthralled by it. I think the fact that it's a young girl makes it all the more shocking. I have to admit though I'm still a fan of Anne Rice and Stephenie Meyer's. I think though Let The Right One In has a totally different take on vampires and is really well written.

Fiona Goodman Definitely this one!

Barbara Elsborg I liked 'Let the right one in' too. The movie wasn't bad either!
Lestat is just a brilliant creation but in common with others here, I think too much of the same thing becomes boring. There are many writers I've started off liking but by the time I get to the fifth or so book with the same or similar characters, I'm tired of them. I liked Christine Feehan for ages but again - too much of the same thing. I also like humor with my vamps - so if the stories make me laugh, so much the better.

Scott This is one of my favorite vampire books and movies.

Though they're not quite exactly vampires, I also love Tanith Lee's Blood Opera.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2012 12:08PM) (new)

Amber wrote: "@ jason

Holy crap somebody actually thinks so too! I never actually met anyone who thought 'let the right one in' was that great. I dont even try to explain it to people because there is so much s..."

Yes, Its the same with me! Everybody I know says twilight is the best.

Twilight is cool but if you want your vampires to be Evil, then this is the book for you. But its a lot more than that. This is a great book!
The number one reason for it is its 100 percent original. The reltationship between the boy and the Vampire is uniqe AND it just doesn't compromise. Every time when you think Ellie isn't that bad, The Author throws in something to shock you.

Ther's good books and there's great books and Let the right one in is truly a Great Book!

CoffeeBook Chick While I loved Let the Right One In, I loved the epistolary style of Bram Stoker's Dracula and Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Both are ones I have re-read many times.

message 14: by Fatin (new) - added it

Fatin Really? I...I enjoyed the story of the girl more than the parents in The Historian.

message 15: by Yue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yue I also think The Historian was the best vampire book I read. And while I love the Dutch version of the movie of Let The One In, I did not like the book so much.

message 16: by Carolina (new)

Carolina evernight series :D even though i've watch like a zillion times let the right one in, just kidding, only 21 :)

message 17: by Zoran (new) - added it

Zoran Krušvar I want vampires to be evil and dangerous, not sissies like in "Twilight" and Anne Rice books. Therefore, these are vampire books for me ("Let the Right One In" included): http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 18: by Zoran (new) - added it

Zoran Krušvar Oh, and can I post the link to a short vampire story that I hope you might like:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Zoran wrote: "Oh, and can I post the link to a short vampire story that I hope you might like:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3..."

Hey listen, I'll get to that story soon. I promise but can you do me a favor?

I'm writing a story myself, can you tell me how I could create a link where all you have to do is click it then read it. Like you just did. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

message 20: by Zoran (last edited Oct 28, 2012 01:23AM) (new) - added it

Zoran Krušvar Go to
Explore/creative writing/my writing/add new writing
and put your story there. When this is done, you just need to copy the link. ;-)

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2012 02:18PM) (new)

Thanks. I'll get to that story of yours soon.

Michael Bowler 'Salem's Lot, by Stephen King, is, other than the original Dracula, still my favorite vampire book. It's easily one of King's best books, also. Good characters, very suspenseful and exciting. Needed a sequel.

message 23: by Clay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Clay Fledgling, by Octavia Butler is one of the freshest and most imaginative takes on The vampire I have come across. Her untimely death robbed us of a great literary talent and also a probable sequel to this. The vampires are depicted as a different strain of evolution with a symbiotic relationship to homo sapiens, rather than supernatural entities.
Let the Right One In is also a beutifully creepy and unpredictable vampire tale. One of my favorites.

Summer Rain Let the Right One In is definitely my favorite vampire-themed book as of today. I also love Dracula which is arguably a timeless classic and one of the pillars of our popular culture, but Let the Right One In is just so powerful, unique and terrifying. It really shows the dark side of vampires and humans alike. And the character of Eli is unforgettable indeed.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Let The right one in

message 26: by Troy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Troy Dracula is the only vampire book I've read multiple times. I thought Let the Right One In was fantastic, but I do like the Bram Stokers classic.

With all the hype about it when it was released, I'm a bit surprised no-one has said The Passage, but I would rate that behind these. I think The Historian is quite good too, but for something special try Hide Me Among the Graves. I really enjoyed that.

Christina Harlin Salem's Lot, Let the Right One In, The Historian - all of these I second as being very good reads. For an erotic spin on vampires, I enjoy the Brotherhood series very much. If you like your vampires mean and nasty, Charlie Huston writes a very gritty vampires series too.

Vickie The Passage (series)
was interesting because it gave a scientific reason for vampirism, and was a different take on vampires.

Amber @ Vickie

I read The Passage also. I agree, it was a good read.

Emily Vamped. It was hilarious. It takes place in a world where basically everyone is a vampire. Then the main character finds one of the last living humans.

Also Vampire Haiku. It's a vampire love story told through haiku, obvs. My favorite was something like:

Watched Twilight. If you
Sparkle, you're not a vampire.
You're a unicorn.

Michael Lang TWILIGHT IS SEXIST! LET THE RIGHT ONE IN IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, vampires are not kindergarten art projects. THEY ARE NOT MADE OF GLITTER!!!!!!!!!!!

message 32: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Mann Its a tie between LTROI and Salem's Lot.

Alexandros The Passage trilogy by J Cronin and Salem's Lot by Stephen King. And then there's this book which scared the crap out of me!

message 34: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Simmons The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is worth a read.
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.
Stoker.
But Let The Right One In is a masterpiece.