Mitford Lovers! discussion

Jan Karon

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meredith (new)

Meredith I think Jan Karon has a wonderful ability to create this world of Mitford. She is such a talented person, I admire her very much.

message 2: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Don't you love the new pic of Jan Karon and her dog??

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) Here's the link to a good interview with Jan Karon.

Jan Karon explains how God led her to write about a 'balding, pudgy, sixty-something cleric,' and what comes after 'Mitford.'

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Chris...

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) From a interview on Dec. 14, 2007, when asked what was on her nightstand, reading wise.

I’m reading PEOPLE OF THE BOOK by Pulitzer winner Geraldine Brooks. She’s a former journalist and writes with a flair that I find compelling. This year I’ve read and savored the work of Eudora Welty, William Faulkner, Elizabeth Spencer, John Steinbeck, and sailed through my third reading of GROWTH OF THE SOIL by Knut Hamsum --- a masterpiece. Also I just re-read JANE EYRE and am launching into WUTHERING HEIGHTS, which I find remarkably better written than JANE EYRE. Driving home today, I realized I was hungry for some C. S. Lewis --- nourishing.

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) BRC: Do you read "modern" books, full of smut and Satan?
JK: Never. Life is too short. But let me tell you about a modern book I just did read. It was written by an 84 year-old woman. It's DOWN THE COMMON, it's the story of a year in the life of a medieval woman.

from an interview in Bookreporter.com

Don (The Book Guy) (DontheLibrarian) from "The Mitford Bedside Companion."

Leaving a career and moving to Blowing Rock was a risk for me. But I agree with Pulitzer-winner Marjorie Rawlings, who moved from New York to remote Cross Creek to write. She said, "It is more important to live the life one wishes to live, and to go down with it if necessary,than to live more profitably but less happily." Jan