Writer Group discussion

Plotline and Theme Debates > Love Triangles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Debate about love triangles here.

message 2: by Danny, Goomba face (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:46PM) (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Love triangles come under a lot of attack these days because they have become the craze in spammy teen fiction, but people seem to forget that they are a classic plotline which have been employed well from the Illiad (Paris, Hellen, and Menelaus) to the X-men (Cyclops, Jean Gray, and Wolverine).

message 3: by Lydia (new)

Lydia They can be done well, but let's just say they're more frequently bad than good.

message 4: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Maybe if you read something other than teen spam...

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Haha, I am literally LOLing. But seriously, if you thought about it, there aren't very many good love triangles. Some of the more famous ones are Twilight and the Hunger Games, and well... I don't really need to go further than that. I agree about the Illiad and the X-Men love triangles being cool, but there aren't many others I like.

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) | 112 comments Mod
*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, I really do hate the modern love triangles. So many of them are a waste of space and time, but there is the occasional good one, which is...refreshing, maybe?

I don;t know, but whatever the case, those few good ones tend to restore my faith in humanity. Especially in teenage humans. :)

message 8: by Lydia (new)

Lydia ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol"

Why, cause he misspelled Jean Grey?

message 9: by Lydia (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:37PM) (new)

Lydia Emily wrote: "Haha, I really do hate the modern love triangles. So many of them are a waste of space and time, but there is the occasional good one, which is...refreshing, maybe?

I don;t know, but whatever the..."

Well, if I ever read a good love triangle, I will probably agree with your statement :)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol"

Why, cause he misspelled Jean Grey?"

*smiles and nods sheepishly* yeeeeeah. I probably shouldn't tell you how I reacted to that.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Emily wrote: "Haha, I really do hate the modern love triangles. So many of them are a waste of space and time, but there is the occasional good one, which is...refreshing, maybe?

I don;t know, bu..."

Sure. Or maybe I am just imagining that there are good ones?as a result of my diminished faith in humanity?

message 12: by Lydia (new)

Lydia ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol"

Why, cause he misspelled Jean Grey?"

*smiles and nods sheepishly* yeeeee..."

Haha, as soon as I saw it, I instantly thought, "He misspelled it!" But I didn't bother correcting it :)

message 13: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Emily wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Emily wrote: "Haha, I really do hate the modern love triangles. So many of them are a waste of space and time, but there is the occasional good one, which is...refreshing,..."

It's quite possible :D

I can't help it...detail stickler. I'm like that. Mere typos send me into frenzied reactions (and by typos I mean my own, my friend Dominic has had to remind me to chill out multiple times about my own typos lol).

message 15: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (niquisita) | 3 comments I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good background for a love triangle. And I actually like the hunger games' love triangle lol

message 16: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Oh, I didn't realize I mispelled those names.

Hahaha, I was messing with ya. It's no big deal......

message 18: by Danny, Goomba face (last edited Sep 24, 2012 08:49PM) (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Anyway, their love triangle is really cool. It's my favourite kind of love triangle, the kind where the two guys hate maybe even try to kill each other.

Hehe, I love it too. Works splendiforously. Read x-2 couple months ago, it really made me crack up how much they're rivals. Like "I hate your guts you girl-stealing scum and I only put up with you cuz I have to" rivals.

message 20: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
I haven't read any X-men comics yet, but I've watched the original trilogy, X-men First Class, and most of Wolverine and the X-men.

I have only just gotten some comics to read. I read the movie adaption novel. Which made Jason a billion times creepier. *shudder*

message 22: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Have you seen First Class?

No! *death glares at brother who borrowed it and then returned it before I could watch it!!!*

message 24: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 31 comments Love triangles are boring. I'd like to see a love pentagon or something :)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Taliah wrote: "Love triangles are boring. I'd like to see a love pentagon or something :)"

OOOOH!! Yes! That'd be awesome :)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "Hahaha, I was messing with ya. It's no big deal......"

Actually it is :P

Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good background for a love triangle. And I actually like the..."

I agree!

message 26: by ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak}, Fickle Maiden (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:36PM) (new)

Hahaha, yeah. I was saying that to be nice. It's definitely no big deal in the giant scheme of things. But in my little world it's a big deal to me hehe.

message 27: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good background for a love triangle. And I actually like the..."

Well, I agree with everything you said, but I personally don't like the Hunger Games love triangle. It just wasn't handled very well, and it felt like it was just there to attract Twilight fans.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol"

Nah, I got ya both trumped.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good background for a love triangle. And I act..."

O_O "Don'tgothereLivDon'tgothereLivDon'tgothereLiv..."

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good background for a love triangle. And I actually like the..."

Totally, the love at first sight thing gets old after a while.

message 31: by Lydia (new)

Lydia LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good background for a..."

Lol, it is true though. There's even a comment by Stephanie Meyer on the book. The books aren't really similar, but the love triangle in The Hunger Games was sort of only there to attract the Twilight fans. Gale is the Jacob and Peeta is the Edward.

message 32: by Lydia (new)

Lydia LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol"

Nah, I got ya both trumped."

You're an X-Men fan too?

message 33: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (niquisita) | 3 comments The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good background for a love triangle. And I act..."

Really? I've never read Twilight but I've seen the movies. In HG the circumstances are a little more believable I guess, but in Twilight I don't understand her fascination with Edward at all.

And a love pentagon would be fun, whoever mentioned that one lol. I'm currently beta-reading a story that has several people involved in several triangles, and they all make sense. The best thing is that it doesn't seem cheesy at all, more adult and realistic.

message 34: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
I think the key with love triangles is to know when to end them so they don't get old and annoying.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol"

You're an X-Men fan too?"

I blame my brothers and my dad for getting me into the whole superhero/super villain/comic book thing. But-to answer your question-yes I love the X-men:)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when th..."

*shakes fist*

message 37: by Lydia (last edited Sep 25, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

Lydia Nicki wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good background for a..."

I've never read Twilight either, but I've read several reviews and heard a lot about it, so I know quite a bit about the plot. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure the Hunger Games is a vastly superior book, because I actually enjoyed parts of it, and it has a decent concept. Twilight doesn't even have a plot that remotely interests me, so I would say Hunger Games is better :) Just wanted to clear that up.

message 38: by Lydia (new)

Lydia LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol"

You're an X-Men..."

The X-Men are awesome.

message 39: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (niquisita) | 3 comments The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I like it when there is good ba..."

LOL ok good ;) My eye was starting to twitch a little at the comparison lol. And I agree with Danny that ending it at the right time is important. Love is such an important part of our human lives that any sort of complication in it can register with most people. Choosing between two people that you love or who love you is therefore a heavy decision for many people.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Danny lol"

Nah, I got ya bot..."

Understatement of the century. The X-men kick butt, take names, and captivate audiences.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicki wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I think they are good when they're natural. when the relationship is not googly-eyed and love at first sight. I lik..."

Agreed.

message 42: by Lydia (new)

Lydia LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "The Mighty Katara wrote: "LivvyLu[loves you!] wrote: "ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Lerman Lover} wrote: "*cough* I think *cough* I'm more of an xmen fan than Dan..."

So true lol.

message 43: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 31 comments Xmen...meh. Batman is tonnes better! (Although I've only seen one xmen movie, so I might be judging unfaily, but still!)

Batman is ninja and amaizing and the movies are cool and the joker is scary and insane and the SCARECROW and the evil ninja....!!!!!

**Note: the dark knight rises has been excluded from this analysis, because it was a bitter disapointment.

message 44: by Lydia (last edited Sep 25, 2012 03:54PM) (new)

Lydia Um yes, I would agree that Batman is cooler, but he isn't the only superhero out there. You don't need to compare him to every other hero that has ever had a movie. And the first X-Men movie was pretty average. The second and third are much better, and First Class is one of the best superhero movies ever.

And the Dark Knight Rises was not a dissapointment. It was amazing!

message 45: by Danny, Goomba face (new)

Danny | 78 comments Mod
Everything katara said.

message 46: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 31 comments Maybe I'll have to borrow a few of them then.

message 47: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Yeah, you should.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Danny wrote: "I think the key with love triangles is to know when to end them so they don't get old and annoying."

Yeah, that is a good point. And some stories have love triangles in them when really it is just a pointless side plot which messes stuff up.

message 49: by Jonathan (last edited Sep 26, 2012 05:29AM) (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Why does everyone compare the heroes to the films :p *sigh* it's the comics that make them who they are. Like with Batman you have to read the classic Batman: Knightfall Vol. 1 arc rather than just watch the movies. Or with X-Men read some of say Joss Whedon's recent work like Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon & John Cassaday. But yeah the films are pretty cool. I love the Avengers film lead ups and the film itself, and I love the new Amazing Spiderman (I'll take that over the Batman films anyday) and First Class was excellent.

In regards to love triangles...well they tend to be overdone in YA fiction particularly now. And often not written well because the writers 'dumb down' their writing. But I think if they were to write intelligently they could have mature 'love triangles'. I think you often need a complication in any relationship you write because otherwise you end up with a straightforward fairytale where everything ends up happy ever after.

message 50: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Jonathan wrote: "Why does everyone compare the heroes to the films :p *sigh* it's the comics that make them who they are. Like with Batman you have to read the classic Batman: Knightfall Vol. 1 arc rather than just..."

I've only read one graphic novel (Green Arrow: Year One), but I plan on reading some others. And I agree with you about the Avengers movies, but I thought the Batman movies were better than the Amazing Spiderman (which was good too).

Yeah, love triangles can be cool, but in YA fiction, they are very immature and kind of creepy. I do like the love triangle in Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson. That's really the only one I can think of at the moment that I like.

« previous 1