Clean Reads for Mormon Teenagers discussion

Book Discussions > Favorite, Clean Books!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 722 (722 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Jayda | 2310 comments Mod
I'd definitely have to say that a lot of my favorite clean books are on the book list. Narrowing it down, it'd have to be between the Twilight Saga, Harry Potter series, The Christmas Sweater, and Phantom of the Opera, along with MANY, many others. (Definitely including the Chet Gecko series. That series is recommended to absolutely everyone)

What about you?

message 2: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:23AM) (new)

Twilight is cleaner than most teenaged based novels out there. And Stephenie didn't want to put that stuff in there, anyway. But if you think about it and have read Breaking Dawn she could've put so much stuff in there. But instead she kept it clean. Twilight only goes so far as making out (Edward keeps Bella in check, mind you) and a bit of cussing.

It's so much better than other teen books :)

message 3: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

That's interesting...

Breaking Dawn has an icky part?
I haven't read it since it came out, so maybe I'm forgetting something. But since she doesn't describe anything and leaves it to your imagination (if you even want to imagine it... ew) than it's basically defined as clean. It's so much cleaner than normal teen books.

message 4: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

We don't know that he tears apart the headboard until after the act is done =P That's why it's not an icky part. It would be an icky part for me if she'd added in the details instead of making it a past thing.

message 5: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Twilight so does not suck xD
Why do you say that it sucks?

I heard that the Charlie Bone series was a rip-off of the Harry Potter series? Or maybe it was a different series that I'm thinking about... -scratches head-

message 6: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

The only book in the series that I only kind-of like is Eclipse, and it's because Bella is so obnoxious! She can't realize how awesome she has it and she complains all the time! -sigh-

But don't worry - you're not the first person that I've met online that doesn't like Twilight. Everyone I know in real life, however, loves it xD I got them all into it, though. I got our entire ward into it, in fact. I started reading it and recommended it. Our relief society/book club went to see the midnight premiere of the movie together ^^ It was really fun!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Read Fablehaven its clean!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Jayda wrote: "Twilight so does not suck xD
Why do you say that it sucks?

I heard that the Charlie Bone series was a rip-off of the Harry Potter series? Or maybe it was a different series that I'm thinking a..."

I like the charlie bone sires, and not really, I mean yes born with magic, must fight off an enemy with evil son, but it's different. then again, I read it in 4th grade easy.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Jayda wrote: "That's interesting...

I haven't read it since it came out, so maybe I'm forgetting something. But since she doesn't describe anything and leaves it to your imagi..."

SO just because its just better doesnt mean its good!

Rachel 🐝🍋 (hirumayoichis) Twilight. no. *shakes head violently* Pellinor is clean, The Hunger Games is clean, altho, it's pretty violent mehehehe..... hmm wat else? *thinks*

message 11: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Emily: I didn't understand what you meant? xD I've had a long week - blame my sleep-deprived...ness. ^^

I love Twilight <3 But I also see that it does have flaws. And I have my qualms with it, so I'm a Twi-Hard who accepts the difficult facts that Twilight is not perfect, and is probably never going to be better than Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I love Buffy, too.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I say things in confuzzling ways.

message 13: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

a u d r e y ♥ | 152 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "Jayda wrote: "That's interesting...

I haven't read it since it came out, so maybe I'm forgetting something. But since she doesn't describe anything and leaves it..."

She leaves it to your imagination...
There isn't anything wrong with that. And its not like everyone doesn't know what is going on and what they're doing.

message 14: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Haha, Audrey xD Yeah, everyone knows what they're doing :) Except little kids... have fun explaining that to them D:

message 15: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

You'd actually be surprised what kids know now-a-days!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

yes.

message 17: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I probably would be. Darned public schools xD

message 18: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

Hahah yeah I know right!
That's where they get it...

♫♪ Olivia ♪♫ | 20 comments Jayda wrote: "That's interesting...

I haven't read it since it came out, so maybe I'm forgetting something. But since she doesn't describe anything and leaves it to your imagi..."

It doesn't really have an icky part. You're aware whats happening, but it's not going into detail.

message 20: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I agree, Olivia :)

message 21: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

I think everyones agreed on the subject by now lol

message 22: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments Okay, about the Twilight series--
It's really not that clean or different from other books (in my opinion). Go that one school where you can't read Breaking Dawn until 9th grade. I will say that it's really cool that Meyer wanted to "keep it clean" but the way she "leaves things to the imagination" is very suggestive and is just descriptive enough (sometimes in the past tense) that you can get a pretty good image (for me at least *shudder*). And the whole way they talk about it with the whole "I want to have sex with you before I'm a crazed vampire" and then Edward giving in when Bella finally decides to grow up- ordeal in Eclipse. Didn't think that was positively necessary. The part that mostly bothers me is how everyone treats Bella like a child, which is why New Moon is my absolute favorite (better not mess it up Chris). I also love Jacob because he treated her like a person, that is, until Edward came back and he started to compete for her like a possession. I love The Host with all my heart, but have to admit that there is a part (or two) that skims my personal line on what is clean (tounging gets a little gross. Personally I don't like the idea of the whole thing).
I, too, am aware that I am HIGHLY opinionated and apologize for that. Part of it is that I really loved them before the whole nation went crazy over them and I naturally don't like popular things so I started to get more critical. Everyone has their own view on what is clean and good, so please don't think that I'm judging anyone, I honestly was just stating an argument.
AH! I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!!! It's clean except for violence and kissing (no tounging ;), promise).

message 23: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I loved Twilight before that huge craze went around, too. I know what you mean ^^ I don't like fake fans; they rather bug me. But I also see the other opinion.

In my point of view, Meyer deals with true teen issues without going across what the clean border should be. Leaving it to the imagination at least isn't describing what happened. So you can imagine it or not and it's your choice, rather than telling you exactly how they "did it".

One of the reasons why I write is to get through the tough things in life. Not my life personally, exactly, but for the average teenager. In my story Alive the couple in the chapter that I'm currently writing have a hard time pulling back. When you're in love with someone and you want to be with them forever (especially when you know you'll be married soon - my parents can testify to that) it's difficult to pull away. When you know you're soulmates and that you'll be with them for as long as you can you know that you'll do it eventually, so what's stopping you? That's where morals come into play.

I write about the tough things. In Alive I write about wanting to be closer to someone but having those morals that keep you from doing so. I deal with other things, too, like death and pain and hurt and abandonment. But Meyer dealt with the typical teenager (trust me, when you find someone that you love sex won't be as hard to think about it, if it doesn't happen before then) and wanting to have sex but deciding not to until marriage brilliantly. She could've let her editors get their way and add in that scene but she held her ground. At least it wasn't worse, right? ^^

message 24: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments I do see where you are coming from, I guess I personally read books to get away from those real life issues . Maybe that's why I get so fired up about Twilight...?
Your book sounds really cool, I'd like to read it when it comes out. Being in an entirely different world and watching and FEELING someone else's emotions as they go through life's struggles is just... I don't know how to describe it. I guess that's why I like The Host so much. But books like that can also be a very dangerous tool when used in... other ways. And, for me, it can get a little too much (in that I'm sick of dealing with life kind of way ;)) sometimes and that's when I revert to my typical Jessica Day George and Shannon Hale romances :) I also enjoy writing as a relief to get away from the restraints of life, but I'm kind of embarrassed about it, dispite my friends saying they like my crazy ideas and messed up rough drafts, so I know what you mean about trying to show emotions and the struggles deep inside someone on their personal journey. I really love that kind of thing :> Sometimes it's hard to pull me away.

True, I do think that it could have been worse and I do admire Meyer with her taking a stand for her/our values. I donno, I'm still trying to figure out some of the things that bother me about it. I do agree with the bringing morals into play, because that is a key thing that our society is sadly lacking now. With out something to ground you how do you spread roots?

I'm sorry, does that make sense at all?

message 25: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I get it ^^ I read and write to get away from my issues. But at the same time I also write (not just in story form but in lyrics and poems, as well) to vent and get rid of or release emotions that are bottled up inside. Sexual tension, especially in such a romantic and serious relationship as Edward and Bella's (which is quite like my parent's was, by the way ^^) is completely natural, though obvously is a dangerous thing at the same time. Telling about these struggles keeps them from being secret or unshared. However, there are books where it gets way out of hand which is why the way Meyer wrote it makes it so brilliant - she made us feel for Bella, made us understand how hard it was to wait, but also made us realize how important it is to wait.

OOOH! I LOVE HOW YOU WORDED THAT! "Without something to ground you how do you spread your roots?" That was so inspired! That was awesome xD I loved that. Yes, it made complete sense ^^ I loved it! ^^

You can actually read my story right here ^^ I've posted the first six chapters on here, so far. There are more to come (if I post them) but this is what I have done so far.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/4...

Feedback is greatly appreciated! ^^

message 26: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

That's very true. Both of you (Jay & Elizabeth)
I strongly believe that Meyer was smart and sticking to her own standards, being a member and everything, with all the presure from everyone else out there editing/publishing.

The whole subject is fairly tough to decide the "clean v. not" in my opinion, but I think books like The Host and the whole Twilight series are pretty fair to it. Technically, if you think about it, the only CLEAN books out there consist of the doctor seuss books and the berstein bears and others like it. Books that are made for children who are innocent to the topic and who is they do know it, understand what it is and how it should be approached, i.e. after being married to someone you truely love.

As teenagers we should be able to cope with those topics since they are part of the society we live in. Now I'm not saying that it's allowed or that I'm up for it but that there is a point where it can be acceptable, and handled maturly.

And honestly, it could have been worse. I've read book with alot worse, and its not fun!

message 27: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments Wow, I think Audrey summed all that up pretty well. The whole teenagers coping with the topics of our society is so true and I get what you mean. Thanks for putting that into perspective. And I absolutely agree with you about the maturity part. I have too and it really isn't!! It just makes me feel so... down. Oh, and you can all call me Liz (it's easier to type and to say).

Thanks Jayda! I was afraid that would make no sense, so thank you :> I appriciate it. Oh YAY!! I'll have to read it tomorrow or sometime. It's almost midnight here (wait... don't you live in Georgia too Jayda?) and, not that I'm apposed to staying up until all hours, I should probably go to sleep, considering I'm falling asleep while typing.

message 28: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

Thank you :) I've had this conversation once already, only with my mother when I made the mistake of suggesting the books to her :\ lol.
Ok cool, I was going to but didn't know if I should ^^

message 29: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments Eek, I'm sorry! That would stink. Weirdly enough, my mom was the one who suggested them to me... *shakes head in confusion*

message 30: by Anneliese (new)

Anneliese (twilightrockz328) | 3 comments twilight is the best book it does not have anything bad in it, in my opinion the twilight series is the best in the world

message 31: by Anneliese (new)

Anneliese (twilightrockz328) | 3 comments ok me again does anyone know where in Germany I can find the book pretties? Help!

message 32: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments Oh my gosh. The book Specials is the most DEPRESSING book I think I've ever read. The Uglies trilogy is pretty awesome. I want to read the Midnighters. I've heard it's pretty good.

message 33: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments OH!! Btw. I read the six chapters of Alive and I seriously couldn't go to sleep I was thinking about it so much. Hurry up and finish it Jayda ;D

message 34: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Haha, thanks! xD I just put up chapter seven if you want to read it! ^^ I'm glad to hear when people like my book <3 It makes me happy!

message 35: by Elizabeth (Liz) (last edited Jun 28, 2009 12:41PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments I read it last night after I wrote that comment :) I loved the plot twist with her Aunt and how she doesn't share things with Parker. It's really amazing how much of the things you write are exactly like life. Haha I really do like it!!

message 36: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Yay! Thank you so much <3 I love hearing when people like my writing :)

message 37: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Colvin (colvinh) I really enjoyed "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. Jane Austen is always good, and so are the Bronte sisters. I don't know...it depends on how much you can tolerate.

message 38: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I tried reading Wuthering Heights (and will again) but it's so hard for me to get into those old fashioned books! I don't know why, it just is.

So The Hunger Games was a good one? I'm rather interested in that book.

message 39: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments I can go on and on about how amazing The Hunger Games is, but I would say not to read it until at LEAST August because the sequel doesn't come out until September 1st.

♫♪ Olivia ♪♫ | 20 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Okay, about the Twilight series--
It's really not that clean or different from other books (in my opinion). Go that one school where you can't read Breaking Dawn until 9th grade. I will say that ..."

I loved the books too BEFORE everyone else did, except when everybody else started to like them, I was like YES! now I'm not one of the only ones! :)

message 41: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

Hahah that's how my friend was.
She was the one who convinced me to read them

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily If you want really clean books then probably don't read Tamora Pierce they arent that clean but inall other ways AMAZING!

message 43: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

Oh I've read some of those!
They're way good... but yeah. Not nessacarily the best books lol

message 44: by Emily (new)

Emily haha. i think they are the best books but not in the way of "clean-ness"

message 45: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (new)

Hahah I know.
I really enjoy them

message 46: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 1 comments so, uh, back to the favorite clean books topic here...
i just finished "the blue sword" by robin mckinley. it is really fantastic. it feels very much like a fairy tale in the arabian nights sense, but mixed with a little e.m.forster.
i found the summaries online a bit confusing, though, since the girl protagonist is nicknamed harry!
and, i totally got suckered into reading twilight by a friend of mine, too! i kept wondering why everyone else was reading about vampires all the sudden. i mean, really... vampires?? come on. and now, oh edward!

♫♪ Olivia ♪♫ | 20 comments I love harry potter books, those are really fabulous reads.

message 48: by a u d r e y ♥, » The Brown Zebra ♥ (last edited Jul 20, 2009 10:22AM) (new)

Oh that's cool.
Hahah that's kinda funny.

I hate Edward. He sucks. Literally, and figuratively.

The Harry Potter books are total classics!
They're the best.

message 49: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) (gonebananaz) | 101 comments I was thinking about reading that one. I also started to read Spindle's End but got lost around when they recited her 21 or whatever names. Beauty was really good though.

Edward was...okay I guess, but he treats Bella like a child, and, honestly, she acts like one. (You probably can skip to the bottom of this paragraph if you want.) He's just too 'perfect' and 'beautiful', it gets on my nerves. He's also way too controling and manipulative, even if he doesn't realize it. But, I must admit, there are good things about him too. I personally, really liked Jacob BEFORE Edward came back. He actually treated her like a real person, but then he had to go back to treating her as a posession. Oh crime! I'm venting all the problems about Twilight again. Sorry!!

Harry Potter is amazing!! I especially loved the 6th movie.

message 50: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

I loved the 6th movie but hated it. Half-Blood Prince was ALWAYS my favorite book, but then they messed up the movie :( I don't like this director. He takes things out and then puts new things in? What the heck? It's ridiculous. I've loved Harry Potter since the first book came out. My aunt Nessa introduced them to me when I was eight! Maybe it was the second book that had just come out? Anyway, I loved them before all of the hype, just like Twilight! xD

Edward is better than Bella. I hate Bella. With a passion. I usually don't hate people, but her... well, she's an exception considering she's merely a fictional character, but I still can't stand her. She's at her best in the first book and the third part of Breaking Dawn. In between then I really hate her. Jacob is always going to be my favorite, but at the same time I love Edward <3 It's like that first love type thing. He'll always have a place in my heart. It's mainly because I can see both sides of it - the hate part and the love part of how people view Edward. Same with Jacob.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15