Webcomic Wonderland discussion

General Discussions > Favorite webcomic quotes

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (last edited Sep 24, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
I know most of us likely have too many to list, but what are some of your favorite quotes or exchanges from webcomics?

A few of mine:
"I was just going to look. With fire." - from Looking for Group

"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." -from OotS

Vachel: "I should warn you Dee, there are grave perils which lie ahead."
Dee: -shrugs-
Vachel: "Right. Why don't you stay here a moment while I go warn the gravely perilous things that you're coming." - from Little Dee

Rocky: "I know you wish you could come along too --"
Freckle: "The passenger side is on fire." - from Lackadaisy

message 2: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Zib:"These arms weren't designed for manual labor. I'm afraid I'm relegated to the arts."
Rocky: "But you're less like spaghetti. Besides, shouldn't we revel in this opportunity to suffer for our art?"
Mitzi: "Zib, go suffer for your art."--from Lackadaisy

"I am looking forward to making coffees and sassing lascivious customers!"--Faye, from Questionable Content

"Dot Meester Lars--he vos scared to death. Ve could schmell it on him. But he come to get Miz Agatha anyvay, und he sacrifice himself vitout thinking. He fight vit us Jagers und die for the House of Heterodyne. Dot make him as goot as vun of us. Ve don't leave our own behind.
Ennyvay, hyu ken take him und try to gets him zapped beck, but that don't vork much. So ven hyu bury him--make sure he gots a hat."--Maxim, from Girl Genius

I'll probably be back with more later--I could list a dozen favorite quotes from QC alone--but these were the first that came to mind.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
QC! Can't believe I forgot it when listing quotes. Like you said, there are tons of great ones there, but my favorite:

“That's me- brutally honest, only instead of brutality there's smiles!” - Raven

message 4: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Medina | 10 comments 'That, my friends was no mere woman's scream. That was the bells of destiny tolling my name.' -- Jake the Evil Hare: Week One

One of my own, but even people who hated my comic liked that line ;)

message 5: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Mike wrote: "QC! Can't believe I forgot it when listing quotes. Like you said, there are tons of great ones there, but my favorite:

“That's me- brutally honest, only instead of brutality there's smiles!” - ..."

Raven has some great quotes. Here's one of my favorite Faye/Raven exchanges:

Raven: "Oh, I'm sorry Faye, I didn't notice you come in. Hi!"
Faye: "Jeez, what had you so absorbed in thought?"
Raven: "I was just thinkin' about dogs."
Faye: "Dogs?"
Raven: "Yeah! They're fuzzy."
Faye: "You're just sitting here, thinking really hard about dogs. Because they're fuzzy."
Raven: "Yep!"

Man, now I'm all nostalgic. I should go reread some of the old Raven strips...

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
lol. That one was great. Yeah, Raven amused me greatly. I wish she was in the strip more nowadays. I read the comic in a super-compressed time period so I forget finer details sometimes - she technically still works at the shop, right?

Although I will say Emily is starting to fill the same kind of role and has me cracking up quite often.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments I don't think Raven works at the shop anymore. Didn't she (view spoiler)? I think that was her.

message 8: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments She did, but she briefly came back a few months ago--I remember her explaining to Hannelore that coffee does not, in fact, contribute to global warming--and I think she even started working in the shop again, but then she disappeared once more. I miss her, but I'm enjoying the new characters, especially Emily.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Right. There were some sections I skimmed when I read to current a couple months ago (the dangers of reading ~2000 comics in a weekend) and don't remember too well. Thanks for the reminders!

message 10: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Annnd, back with more quotes.

Vachel: "I am hanging up my hat, Ted. Being a detective seems to involve making sense of the world by using logic. But, unfortunately, no one around here seems to act logically whatsoever!"
Ted: "Do you think perhaps that your definition of logic is simply different than for others?"
Vachel: "Exactly! My logic is logical, and everyone else is crazy."
Ted: "Logically."
Vachel: "Maybe if I start hitting people when they're being illogical I can make them change." --from Little Dee

And since I finished re-reading Lackadaisy a couple of days ago:

"This is terrible corn!"--Rocky

"Should I keep shooting things?"--Ivy

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
That whole exchange is great, but "my logic is logical, and everyone else is crazy" is particularly awesome.

It doesn't have the same impact out of context, but "Vachel is teaching us that actions have consequences" is possibly my favorite line in the series.

And a couple more non-Dee quotes:

"Order of the Stick! Your broken corpses will taste delicious lightly seasoned with nutmeg!" - Monster in the Darkness

"And that's why we need to find a store that sells rocket launchers." - Largo, Megatokyo

message 12: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Mike wrote: "That whole exchange is great, but "my logic is logical, and everyone else is crazy" is particularly awesome.

It doesn't have the same impact out of context, but "Vachel is teaching us that action..."

Personally, my favorite part of the exchange is "Maybe if I start hitting people when they're being illogical I can make them change." I feel like that much of the time.

I should read Order of the Stick; it sounds like a lot of fun.

message 13: by K.J. (new)

K.J. Joyner (spearcarrier) "Do we get to keep the toys?" bzz bzz

Sluggy, waaay back when. And I probably quoted it all wrong.

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Kayleigh wrote: "Personally, my favorite part of the exchange is "Maybe if I start hitting people when they're being illogical I can make them change." I feel like that much of the time.

I should read Order of the Stick; it sounds like a lot of fun. "

True, that's another highlight. I'm very familiar with that feeling also.

I highly recommend it, but that shouldn't be a surprise. It really amusing and also becomes extremely compelling plot and drama wise as things go along. It's D&D reference heavy in the jokes, especially at the beginning, but I think the jist is usually easy enough to pick up on and humorous even if you've never played D&D (like me).

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Sergio: "Careful with your sticky hands!"
Simon: "My hands aren't sticky! They're covered in sugary protection."

Simon: "Lady, your water power's awesome, but I can't just bring someone who hasn't been trained into danger-time. You might get hurt."
Nilus: as she punches a dent into a dumpster"I am leader of army. I am a danger-time."

Both quotes are from Minor Acts of Heroism

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 257 comments "He's not my minion." Agatha, Girl Genius

(view spoiler) Jones, Gunnerkrigg Court

message 17: by Mike (last edited Nov 09, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "Nilus: as she punches a dent into a dumpster "I am leader of army. I am a danger-time.""

"I am danger-time." made me laugh out loud first time I read it. MAoH has some fantastic dialog. The following exchange in particular amused me greatly:

-Simon and Sergio walk into Simon's room, where Nilus is holding Simon's superhero costume-
Nilus: "I found your face!"
Sergio: "She speaks English?!"
Simon: "Not well."

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments The fantastic dialogue is one of the many good reasons to read Minor Acts of Heroism. It is very natural and incredibly funny.

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "The fantastic dialogue is one of the many good reasons to read Minor Acts of Heroism. It is very natural and incredibly funny."

Totally agree. The characters sound and act like real kids in an unreal situation, complete with bantering humor and proper (over)reactions. Simon's hilarious word-by-word explanation of what "can't swim" means, complete with gestures, is something I could see my nephew doing.

message 20: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
And a couple more from OotS:
"If I let myself get hung up on only doing things that had any actual chance of success, I'd never do anything!" - Elan

“Sorry, Roy, I just don't trust you enough to believe that you lied.” - Belkar

message 21: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
"- let's call surviving until dusk 'Plan A.' " - OotS

"Listen, like I told your captain, that orphanage attacked ME." - Looking for Group

"He gave you money to hang out with me?"
"Of course., but don't worry. He didn't have to pay me today." - MAoH

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 888 comments Hinjo: "I'll stand between any two murderers I wish. " (Order of the Stick)