Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Favorite Books & Authors > Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I was tempted to suggest this book as one of our book club monthly picks, but then I realized almost everyone has already read it. It's such an amazing book though and I think it would still be fun to talk about.

I first read Edenbrooke back in April, I loved it! It's one of those books that you want everyone to read. Before I even finished I knew it wold be going on my favorites shelf. I decided to read it again yesterday and just like the first time, I couldn't put it down. I loved the writing and characters. Can I just say how much much I loved Philip? He is definitely a top "hero" for me. He really steals the show and I sometimes wish we could have had his POV too, I'd love to hear what was going on in his head. I've read a LOT of regencies and I just think there is something really special about Edenbrooke. I like that Marianne and Philip are both honorable, Philip is a true gentlemen and Marianne a true lady. They have a sweet relationship and great chemistry. I liked that you can really feel them fall in love, it's very believable. Although, it is a bit frustrating at how blind Marianne was!

One of my favorite scenes is when they are at breakfast (or dinner?) and Philips mom suggested they have a ball so they could show Marianne off. Philip is not too happy with the idea and his sweet uncle picks up on it and innocently (okay, maybe not so innocently) starts talking about rhinos and how the males fight over their femals. Okay, I just butchered that description, but I just thought that was so funny.

I also loved the scene when Marianne gets back from her ride and Philp is upset that she had disappeared for so long. Man, they had great chemistry in that scene, I kept wanting him to KISS her already! all their scenes together are magic though, it's hard to pick a favorite.

Anyway, what was your favorite scene? Favorite character?

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hiding in the Pages) | 188 comments Mod
Okay...now I've totally got to read this one again!!

message 3: by Sharon (last edited Oct 02, 2012 02:52PM) (new)

Sharon | 81 comments Loved the book from cover to cover!!!! I have to say one of my favorite parts is when Marianne gets back from painting the water color of Edenbrooke with her in the forground and Phillip won't give it back to her. I think that scene tells her story of longing to fit in somewhere.

I think she is a true lady and I love how in the first part of the book she proves herself to be a tough chick at the same time. She doesn't need anyone to take care of her but she really wants someone who will.

I thought her grandmother was a great character. Grandmother new Marianne needed a little push to get out and meet people and I loved the relationship between the two. I also loved Phillips aunt. The way she sort of guided Marianne with out being to pushy.

My favorite scene is the one in the library when Phillip is sharing his tour of Europe and after hours of talking and sharing with each other there is a moment when neither one wants to break the spell they have woven around each other. Great scene!!!

message 4: by Chantele (new)

Chantele Sedgwick | 19 comments LOVED this one! I may have to read it again... :D

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 166 comments Mod
This is sooo one of my top five desert island books. I just think of this book and I smile because I love it so much. I wish every book could be as perfectly written as this one.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 19 comments I love this book tons! In fact I was asked to give a book review for a female church function next week and Edenbrooke is the book I selected. I love it because it makes me smile and curls my toes at the same time. Philip is a hotty and I love their banter and relationship. I love that you can actually say they have a relationship. It is not just a chance meeting, a few words and they are hopelessly in love. They actually build a friendship and love.

The one thing I wanted to happen was a rematch between their horses in which Meg and Marianne clearly win. I felt that was missing and would have made the book more superb. No complaints about this book!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments I read this book for the first time just last month. I loved it from page 42, when Philip and Marianne had their first conversation in the inn! I fell in love so hard for Philip. He is now one of my favorite heroes in books.
If any has still yet to read this, pick it up.

message 8: by Annette (new)

Annette (annetteklarsen) | 85 comments I agree. This book was just superb! One of my favorite scenes is after Cecily comes back and Marianne is hiding out in the library. Philip comes and finds her and he's leaning against the windowsill, being all hot and manly. She asked if he needs something and he says something about needing to see her smile. *sigh* So many fantastic scenes in this book. Now I need to reread it. It's such a great example of REAL romance instead of just the insta-attraction.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Hearing you guys talk about it makes me want to read it again too! It's been a long time since I did, maybe I'll sneak it in. :)