Huntsville-Madison County Public Library discussion

In the Company of Heroes: The Personal Story Behind Black Hawk Down
This topic is about In the Company of Heroes
Staff Picks > Staff Picks: In The Company of Heroes by Michael J. Durant

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexie (last edited Sep 24, 2012 03:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexie Robinson Austin (lrobinson) | 83 comments (Adult Non-fiction) 4 out of 5 stars. Great book, great story, solid writing.

Okay, so here's one of my deep dark secrets: secretly, I really love army action movies like Black Hawk Down (my husband loves this about me). I'm a big fan of the movie. I always knew that I lived in the same town as Michael Durant, however until I was reviewing pictures on Facebook of a local speaking engagement he gave, I never realized that he had written a book about his time behind enemy lines in Mogadishu. I immediately put it on hold at the Library.

I have never been in the Army. Yet, this book was such a steady trip into the mind of Michael Durant, it felt like I was. The book does a great job of developing his story. The sequence of events you see in Black Hawk Down take up the first 20 or so pages. After that, it's solely Michael Durant's story. He (as I say "He" I realize that this references Michael Durant and also his ghostwriter Steven Hartov) does a great job of flashing between the Black Hawk story and previous missions in the Middle East or in Panama that help add to the story. The characters are well built. You actually start developing attachments or at least sympathize with some of Michael's captors.

It loses a star because some of the writing can get a little cliched at times. But not enough to deter me from the story!

I read the whole book start to finish in less than 24 hours. For me, with a nonfiction book, this is a great accomplishment and a testament of how good this book actually is.

If you've watched the movie Black Hawk Down, but never ventured into the back story of Michael Durant's time as a Somali captive, I highly recommend this book.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (barnettlib) | 1 comments Michael Durant lives here in Huntsville and if you ever get the opportunity to hear him speak, you should take it! His story is quite compelling.

Lexie Robinson Austin (lrobinson) | 83 comments Thanks Michelle! I was kicking myself for not going to his HYP speaking engagement at the Art Museum, and that's what really prompted me to read the book. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for the next time he gives a talk!