ITRG Book Club discussion

State of Wonder
This topic is about State of Wonder
Thoughts so far

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (last edited Sep 24, 2012 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jacqueline (jaxradix) | 4 comments Mod
What are your thoughts so far? I'm on disc 6 of 12 so, I'm assuming I'm halfway through the book, and so far nothing. It's a very slow start and I can't say it's holding my attention. Apparently this is her masterpiece....

Catherine | 1 comments I'm with you on the slow start, Jax. I find myself liking the character, Marina, immensely, but there really hasn't been much happening in terms of the story line. As I was reading last night though, events took a turn, so we'll see!

Vince (vincel) | 3 comments I finally got my library copy!!! I read chapter 1 last night and already enjoy the cadence and craft of the writer's style. I've never read anything by Ann Pratchet before.

Based on the back-cover blurb, the story appears to be a modern, perhaps feminist "Heart of Darkness." I really enjoyed Joseph Conrad back in my Lit classes, so I'm looking forward to this take. The themes around reproduction and science pique my interest as well.

I doubt I'll have it done by Friday's meeting, but I'll have to miss our meeting anyway due to an appointment.

I wonder how reading vs listening affects one's absorption of the craft? I get a visceral thrill (?) in reading writing that I find well-crafted, but listening (reading aloud) is such a performance art...thoughts?

Amanda | 2 comments I totally agree about the "Heart of Darkness" reference.

I'm just over half done and I'm having problems continuing it. It seems like something else should have happened by now. I like the character, but it feels more like a really long introduction to the book versus actually getting into the meat of the story.

I don't really know about the reading vs listening idea. I've only finished 1 audio book and am working on a second. I really like the voice actor for the first and really enjoyed it, but the second voice actor makes some funny choices well reading aloud that keeps throwing me off.

Jacqueline (jaxradix) | 4 comments Mod
Vince, listening is definitely more about the performance. I enjoy it and it plays well with my multi-tasking nature, but I can't say I would choose it exclusively. I love holding a book and looking at the words and the sentence structures. I can't do that with audio books. On the flip side there are audio book performances that beat reading the book. For example, Tina Fey narrated her book "Bossy pants" and I got to experience how she would say those words and loved it.