Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > New Kindle Released Monday (& poo) (sports talk, perhaps baseball, idk)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 07, 2009 04:10PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/06/techn...

I'm curious as to how the new model is going to be different than the old one.

I also think if I bought one for Christmas and a new, improved model came out less than eight weeks later I'd be kinda pissed.

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Technology can be a bastard like that. Remember in 2007 when people went to the ends of the earth to buy an iPhone the day they were released, and then two months later apple knocked the price down 200 or so? I think they ended up giving refunds to all the people they jipped.

I just don't see the purchase of investing in any token piece of technology. Things are updated so often, as our knowledge grows products immediately become outdated.

*sits in tree and gnaws stick*

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Let the early adopters take the hit. That's my philosophy. I don't want to buy in until all the Beta vs. VHS type issues are totally resolved.
And the price comes down.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Fuck the Kindle. As someone who enjoys taking a book or a newspaper to the john when he's taking a crap, I can't imagine hunching over to read teeny tiny print while I'm pinching a loaf.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

And, now we've brought the kindle thread back to poo.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I think this is the quickest ever thread to revert to poo.

I rule!

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

So how large does the font need to be while you are dropping the kids off at the pool? 16 pt? 20? Do you rely on images in the newspaper/comics to move your eyes along?

message 8: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I just want to read comfortably. I don't see the Kindle's screen as being large enough for me to read comfortably, regardless of me dropping the kids off in the pool, or merely sitting on the couch.

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Feb 11, 2009 11:11AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The screen IS big enough. The font is the same as reading a book. The size of a Kindle is about the same as a trade paperback. You scroll through the pages; it's not like they have to squish an entire chapter in the screen all at once.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm not comfortable with the word "squish" in a post so close to a post from Gus talking about reading while taking a poop.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

I thought that exact thing, and was very uncomfortable articulating that thought. So instead I just meandered away, hoping the kindle/poo thread would die.

However, I love discussing poo with strangers. Squish.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Pop. Six. Squish. Uh-uh. Cicero. Lipschitz.

message 13: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Um, ick.

I am actually excited there's a new Kindle cause that means there more of a chance I can get the old one for dirt cheap. And I really, really want one!

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Personally, I don't give a crap about it right now.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

shazaaam!

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I saw a woman reading one of those fancy-dancy Kindles on the train this morning. I might be wrong about my first impression; the screen does seem big enough, but it does seem a bit cumbersome. The buttons are either too small or the Page Up/Down buttons seem too big. Eh.

Plus, the Kindle-r was reading Confessions of a Shopaholic. Gee, I was hoping they were reading Foucault or Jorge Luis Borges...

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

How could you tell what she was reading? Did you lean over her shoulder?
Or does the back of the kindle display the cover of the book, traditional-style?

message 18: by Matthieu (last edited Feb 12, 2009 08:55AM) (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments The setting: The 26th of January. Labyrinth Books. Princeton, NJ.

(A middle-aged woman wearing a grey suit accosts the man at the counter)

Woman: Do you have the new Jodi Picoult novel?

Man at the desk: No.

Woman: Oh. I'll just read it on my Kindle...

Man at the desk (dripping with contempt): Cool.

It was amazing.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 12, 2009 09:25AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ha...that's hilarious...

I don't know if I could get used to pushing buttons to turn pages. That feels wrong. I guess I could get used to it.

message 20: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I'm not exactly sure how they work. I don't think I've seen one up close...

I think one turns the pages by means of using the "scroll wheel". Makes sense, non?

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Someday we'll be telling our gradchildren: "yes, in my day there were only buttons on elevators and cell phones." What's a cell phone, grandpa? Oh, that's a story for another day, R23po!

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ha! Good one!

message 23: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sally, that woman was standing in front of me on the train. I could easily peer over her shoulder, considering she was barely 5 feet tall, and I'm 6'3". And the title of the book is displayed at the top corners, like with any published book.

message 24: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I love being tall.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Gus - How about NC

message 26: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) How about NC what?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought you would be all over their nice win last night.

message 28: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Fuck Duke.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

er...

message 30: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Fuck no...I hate UNC. HATE THEM!!!

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ha....awesome, Jim....

Four years NC beats Duke ON DUKE'S HOME FLOOR!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Ummmm Sorry Gus, couldn't stop myself.

message 33: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm over it. Duke's high ranking this season is based on reputation, not talent. I'll acknowledge UNC is the far more talented team. I think Duke's due for another 1st or 2nd round exit in the NCAAs.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Matthew wrote: "I'm not exactly sure how they work. I don't think I've seen one up close...

I think one turns the pages by means of using the "scroll wheel". Makes sense, non?"

Nope, there is a "page" button on the side. My friend has one and it actually is pretty cool. I guess the new version is supposed to have better buttons or something.

Look, I'm not saying you have to buy one or even like it. But maybe you guys should, you know, see what one is like before you decide it sucks!

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i sorta like how books smell.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes, Kevin, especially after they've been stored in a damp basement for a year or two.

message 37: by Dave (last edited Feb 12, 2009 02:27PM) (new)

Dave Russell I wonder if they can bottle old book smell like they can with new car scent.

message 38: by Lori (new)

Lori Eh, I like the way a book feels, the way it smells, the way you can curl up on the couch with one. It's a sensory experience.

Theses new-fangled inventions, bah humbug!

message 39: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Lori, I agree... I have a tactile fascination with books, especially the ones that have that suede-feeling paperback cover. Ooooooh! It's almost sensual reading them. BUT I've just had to pack up 4 boxes of books that I've read over the last year and realized how much space they take up. I'm trying to simplify and this would fit the bill.

My sis-in-law just moved to FL with bro-in-law to live on a 42' sailboat (jealous to my ears!), and this was her solution to getting everything down to two suitcases of belongings. I think that's pretty darn cool that she can still keep her favorite books with her & sail off to the Keys for six months. (sigh... someday soon)

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori Ok, yeah, under those circumstances, (screw her! haha) the Kindle is uber cool!

message 41: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 13, 2009 03:39AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I love how, per the thread title, Sally admits she thought we were talking about baseball. Sally, you are truly the coolest. I'm glad you're here.:)

message 42: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/121556

i did just see this today. RA - your kindle is illegal.

and yeah, sally is the coolest

message 43: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:35AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't have a kindle yet, Kevin...but now that it has a tough and illegal image, I'm thinking about it...:)

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah RA, all the punks in West Garfield Park are wearing them on chains around their necks Flava Flav style

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) 1) another vote for Sally, and 2) I like the feel and smell of real books, too.

message 46: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Sherrie, I feel your pain. I just moved 10 18 gallon tubs across the country and realize now more than ever just how much of a burden the physical books can be. I've had a Kindle since they were first released but only ever used it for traveling on business. I've made a compromise with myself- I'm going to continue my habit of obsessively hoarding physical copies of the general fiction books I read but for the pulpy scifi that makes up a good chunk of my reading I'm going to read it solely on the Kindle. That should, hopefully, slow the accumulation of books on our overflowing shelves.

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm a fan of the idea of the kindle. I'd love to be able to purchase and download a book immediately - rather than wait for the lame USPS to deliver it to me via amazon or driving over to lame B&N to purchase it.

I adore books, clearly we all do, or else we wouldn't congregate at this site. But I think that the time has come for us to stop chopping down trees, mashing them into pulp, presssing the pulp into pages, and printing them with ink made from god-knows-what toxic substance. I'm telling you someday I'll be answering "grandma, what was paper?"

message 48: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments thanks sally. i have tried not to think about the ecological ramifications of being a book lover. i am a hopeless buyer of books. when our library has the book sales i come home with boxes of them. my wife makes me put them in a closet now as the shelves are beyond overflowing. maybe i will look into a kindle. (that is a dumb name though. what is up with that) if i ever get one i am going to have a page to an old book in my pocket just to feel and smell

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

You could strap one to your face, a-la faux mustache to recreate the smell of reading.

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i think i will invent a little spray deal for kindle owners where you puff a whiff of this in the air when you are reading and it smells like a book. i think my slogan will be:

Re-Kindle The Love Of Reading

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.