Coursera Friends discussion

Greek and Roman Mythology > A word of caution on the first quiz

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
You get three attempts to get a perfect score, but it isn't easy.

I went into it thinking that I could just watch the lectures once and take the quiz... well, I was wrong. You have to know precise things, such as being able to name which person had which kind of philosophy and know what century corresponds to certain periods.

So I'm going to have to rewatch the lectures and take notes.

message 2: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Oh, thanks a lot. It's almost as bad as Sustainability then? Are the questions properly worded, though?

message 3: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
I thought they were written well enough.

message 4: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
That sounds great.

message 5: by Seawood (new)

Seawood There appears to be a bug in the quiz for Q10/11 - whoever's designed their web form is not very good, tbh, it's causing a lot of hassles to have a free-response box where there should be a drop-down or radio button. I've posted asking for some consistency in the design, fingers crossed they'll see it. Lots of people are very upset about it...

message 6: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
ugh..okay when you retake the quiz it has different questions than it did originally. Not all of them, but some.

I swear one of my answers that I got marked wrong is correct!

message 7: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Okay I got this one wrong every time...

Myths are stories told about real people in the past who did something important. Future generations told and retold their exploits; and through exaggeration the real people eventually became deified.

I thought it was Aristarchus..

message 8: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Jute wrote: "Okay I got this one wrong every time...

Myths are stories told about real people in the past who did something important. Future generations told and retold their exploits; and through exaggeratio..."

Okay it was my own stupidity... I should have rewatched the video.

message 9: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
It looks like they've upped the number of attempts on the quizzes or am I seeing this wrong? I see that it now has a 0/10 tries on the second quiz.

message 10: by Seawood (new)

Seawood No, I think it's always been 10 tries, but you get three goes before you're penalised for trying again. So on your fourth try the max you can get is 95%, 5th try 90%, etc.

How are you all managing with the reading? I've managed to be awake for four chapters so far...I'd really hoped to be further ahead :(

message 11: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
I have yet to catch up, but from what I recall of my own personal reading, "Odyssey" depends a lot on the translation. And if one happens to like Hexameter or whatever was used.

message 12: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Oooh, the audiobook sounds great!

I should clarify I'm kinda dying (dramatically and epically, if that's even a word) of a throat infection atm and I tend to fall asleep a lot when I'm not well, that's all. I'm not saying it's boring, just that I'm having a hard time finding the attention span.

message 13: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Caroline wrote: "Oooh, the audiobook sounds great!

I should clarify I'm kinda dying (dramatically and epically, if that's even a word) of a throat infection atm and I tend to fall asleep a lot when I'm not well, ..."

Hot tea and honey. My family also used to ahem "torture" me with hot milk and honey too - arrrck! Of course, there are always regular drugs, ColdRex kinda works for me...

message 14: by Seawood (new)

Seawood :) Hot lemon and honey through the day (when I have the kids to look after), and a generous dose of Inishowan whiskey once they've gone to bed. I love Irish whiskey anyway but this stuff is the bee's knees.

Nothing silly about a hot toddy, I've been making them since I was old enough to buy my own whiskey. :)