SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > Tempted or do you read the graphic novels or comics of favourite series?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments More and more authors who've traditionally published novels are turning to graphic novels to give your favourite series a boost in a new format.

Are you tempted or do you read the graphic novels and comics now being produced, sourced from OLD favourites? Would you prefer to read NEW stories in graphic novel format instead? Or do you not like this format at all?

Some examples:

Blood Work An Original Hollows Graphic Novel by Kim Harrison Vampire Academy The Graphic Novel (Vampire Academy The Graphic Novel, #1) by Richelle Mead Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega Graphic #1) by Patricia Briggs Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Guilty Pleasures, Volume 1 by Laurell K. Hamilton House of Night Legacy (House of Night The Graphic Novel, #1) by P.C. Cast Charlaine Harris' Grave Sight Part 1 (Grave Sight Graphic Novel, #1) by Charlaine Harris Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon Graphic Novels #1) by Kinley MacGregor

message 2: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23897 comments Aussie Readers Group this month is doing a Graphic Novels challenge, and I've been astounded at the breadth and choice of GNs. Not just those classics above but actual real literature classics.

I suppose it makes it more appealing to those not inclined to read and gives us readers another dose of our favourites :)

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 460 comments I'm not usually a graphic novel person. But last time I was at the library I picked up the one for the first of the Mercy Thompson series. I think they're kind of cool.

Mercy Thompson Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

They would never replace the original novel in my eyes but I like getting an idea of exactly what the author and people visually see the characters... they never look anything like what I think they should look at... (and I'm pigheaded enough to believe that my imagined version is the only correct one).

I think I'd be more interested in them if the ones for series I love added something different - an extra story or something (like with the House of Night Legacy) rather than just a graphic representation of the book I've already read.

message 4: by Gin (new)

Gin | 99 comments To be honest, I've never tried one. I'd definitely be curious. Maybe we need a challenge over here too.

message 5: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 801 comments I have. I tend to buy graphic novel spin offs of my favourite authors. I wouldn't actively go searching for them though. It's a nice change once in a while to have a really easy read and to see how the artist interprets the way a character looks compared to what's in my head.

message 6: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments I actually have bought one...but must confess to not having read it yet. My kids enjoy manga a lot (as do many of my students), but I guess for the price, I want to spend my money on more words...

message 7: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I read the GN of Guilty Pleasures and it felt like an enjoyable re-read, although the "new" GN prequel to Anita Blake The First Death was terrible. I think I would read more of GNs in general if I could borrow from the library.

@Sandra: I'm nosy, I had to look up the Aussie thread. Never thought Gatsby would be material for a graphic novel. Dragon Tattoo -yes, Gatsby -no.

message 8: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23897 comments Yep, I was pretty amazed as well. I do know our main library has some and I'm going to check out my local to see what they've got.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I love the Hollows series and own all of it except the graphic novels. I will buy them eventually but I'm not in a rush right now, the reviews aren't good for them either. I read one of the True Blood ones and it was okay. Since it was Sookie world I loved it but it felt strange.

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29114 comments I've read several Mercy graphic novels. I also like to see how the author visualizes the characters. The books are so pretty and fun to read, but would never (for me) replace the books.