European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > Nov 15 - Jan 15: Wars of the Roses

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hey everyone! Our November 15, 2012 - January 15, 2013 group read will be:

The Wars of the Roses

The Wars of the Roses by Alison Weir

by Alison Weir

Alison Weir

We will start the discussion on NOVEMBER 15TH.

We'll do the discussion threads broken up by chapters like all the other times, but I figure this thread can be used by those frustrated with shipping slowness (or your library's slowness) or for any other reason. Just don't discuss the book in any detail here! (General "I'm a couple chapters in and I like it" comments are fine, but we'll start the real discussion threads on NOVEMBER 15th.) For those of you just joining us, you can look through the previous threads in this Group Read section to see how we did it before because the process will be the same (there's also a thread just like this thread for the other books we've read together).

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia | 3 comments I absolutely adore this book. I can't wait to read it again!!!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 26 comments I've had this book sitting on the shelf for a long time. Will be interested in joining the discussion.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 8 comments I can't wait to read this book! i think I wanted to read this with others so i knew i would finish for sure and actually understand everything!!

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven Harbin (stevenharbin) I read this book a long time ago and loved it (as Julia says above) - I'm looking forward to reading it and discussing it if I can find the time!

message 6: by RJay (last edited Oct 29, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

RJay (plantagenetjunkie) | 20 comments As history books, go this one is pretty good. However, the cast of characters is mind-boggling. I didn't figure out until half-way through that there were fabulous family charts in the back. You'll need to refer to them often! I copied them for posterity and use them when reading other books - very helpful.

message 7: by RJay (last edited Oct 29, 2012 09:47AM) (new)

RJay (plantagenetjunkie) | 20 comments One book that you might want to read prior to reading War of the Roses is "Within the Fetterlock" by Brian Wainright. It is told from Constance of York's point of view and it really puts in perspective on the discord and drama developing between the grandchildren on Edward III. This story reveals the "seeds" of the turmoil to follow and I found it quite enlightening.

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Rosemary wrote: "One book that you might want to read prior to reading War of the Roses is "Within the Fetterlock" by Brian Wainright. It is told from Constance of York's point of view and it really puts in perspe..."

There's a very good trilogy by Carol Wensby-Scott that also does a good job on events leading up to and through TWOTR. Copies are getting a bit hard to find (and expensive!), but keep trying. The main focus is on the Percys of Northumberland.

Lion of Alnwick (The Percy Trilogy, #1) by Carol Wensby-Scott Lion Dormant (The Percy Trilogy, #2) by Carol Wensby-Scott Lion Invincible (The Percy Trilogy, #3) by Carol Wensby-Scott

I second the recommendation on Within the Fetterlock.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna | 11 comments I just read this book last month on an ereader and could not make use of the charts in the back because they were very faint and very tiny. I had no idea there was more than one War of the Roses and had always thought it was the one that swept Henry VII to power. It will be interesting to discuss this one.

message 10: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 14 comments Just tried to get my hands on it. Finally found it at the local library. I put a hold on it and hope it gets here soon! The reviews were good and now I'm intrigued!

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments I just started it - only up to Chapter 3 and I'm already blown away. Sooo many fascinating historical figures.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (kannie8) | 1 comments I'm looking forward to joining the discussion. This is a favorite topic of mine!!!

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments Donna wrote: "I just read this book last month on an ereader and could not make use of the charts in the back because they were very faint and very tiny. I had no idea there was more than one War of the Roses an..."

They are hard to read but not impossible for me. This is a good substitute chart though: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia... - you should be able to add that to your ereader.

message 14: by Donna (last edited Nov 20, 2012 05:34PM) (new)

Donna | 11 comments Robin wrote: "Donna wrote: "I just read this book last month on an ereader and could not make use of the charts in the back because they were very faint and very tiny. I had no idea there was more than one War o..."

Thanks so much. I will definitely go and check this out. I have found that maps and geneology charts are especially tough on a black and white Sony ereader.

message 15: by Annika (new)

Annika | 6 comments Can I still join? I'm new on Goodreads. I've got the book already but have so far put off reading it due to NaNoWriMo.

message 16: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 14 comments Annika, of course you can!! Im going in search of the group discussion thread right now.

message 17: by Annika (new)

Annika | 6 comments Thanks. :-)