UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Karen Charlton
This topic is about Karen Charlton
Meet the Authors > Karen Charlton (Historical Crime Fiction) 'THE HEIRESS OF LINN HAGH'

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Sep 24, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments AUTHOR BIOGRAPHY

Karen Charlton was born in Sheffield but grew up in Leeds. She obtained an English degree from Hull University and she studied for post graduate teaching certificate at Durham University. After a few years roaming between various jobs in Harrogate, Ripon and Scarborough she finally settled in Teesside, where she was invited to stay and improve the gene pool.

It needed improving. Her debut novel, 'Catching the Eagle' is the true tale of her hubby's notorious criminal ancestor: Jamie Charlton. Jamie was controversially convicted of stealing £1,157 of rent money from Kirkley Hall in Northumberland in 1809. This amazing story was uncovered through family history research.

Since then, she has combined a teaching job at a secondary school with her writing and raising her own pair of 'little villains.'

'Catching the Eagle' is published by Knox Robinson Publishing and is available from amazon in hardback, paperback and eBook format. The link to the Kindle version is below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catching-Rege...

Karen has always enjoyed a good mystery. In fact, many years ago she wrote ‘Murder Mystery Weekends’ for Raven Hall Hotel and won a Yorkshire Tourist Board award for them.

Last year, the first seeds of a plot for a 'whodunit' began to germinate in her head. Before she knew it, she had a Regency mystery to solve and 'The Missing Heiress' was born.

Set in Northumberland 1809, 'The Missing Heiress' is a spin-off novel from her first book and features two of the minor characters: Detective Stephen Lavender and his good-natured sidekick, Constable Woods. Their first case in the series takes them back to Northumberland to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a beautiful heiress.

'The Missing Heiress' is due to be published by Knox Robinson in all formats on 6th December 2012.

In the meantime, Karen has self-published a factual, genealogy book, 'Seeking Our Eagle' which tells the story behind the story of 'Catching the Eagle.' This is her own venture.

'Seeking our Eagle' is the perfect, factual companion piece for the original novel but is itself a remarkable story. Written with honesty and humour, this illustrated book takes us on a fascinating journey back through three hundred years and the turbulent lives of seven generations of their family.

'Seeking Our Eagle' explains how the Charltons first became interested in genealogy and shook their family tree until a Regency convict fell out. The author shows how they pursued Bad Granddad (four times removed) through dusty records and even dustier Northumberland lanes, like bloodhounds employed by her fictional Detective Lavender, before she turned Jamie’s sorry tale of injustice into a popular historical novel.

'Seeking Our Eagle' also reveals the devastating impact of World War One on their grandparents in Teesside and how the lives of their Victorian ancestors were dominated by the North Eastern Railway Company in County Durham. The final chapters show how their Northumbrian family was torn apart by a bitter feud in the eighteenth century.

This is not merely an account of genealogical research. It is a warm invitation from a very real and vibrant author, to accompany her and her family on a semi-autobiographical romp through the centuries as they embark on a remarkable journey of discovery. Assisted by lively, and often, humorous narration and poignant photographs, we are given a glimpse of the harsh and trying lives endured by our Northern ancestors. We peep into scenes of great national pride, with the building of the railways, and heartache at the loss of cherished children. Poverty, sadness, joy and adversity are keenly illustrated as social history unfolds through the lives of the Charltons.

Illuminating the importance of family in all our lives, 'Seeking our Eagle' is an entertaining and informative read for anyone interested in genealogical research, the social history of the North East and for those writing historical fiction.

The link to the kindle edition is here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seeking-Our-E...

Catching the Eagle (Regency Reivers Series, #1) by Karen Charlton
Seeking Our Eagle by Karen Charlton

message 2: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Sep 25, 2012 01:33AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Welcome Karen!

Several of our groupites are very interested in genealogy.

I'm sure they'll be along to visit or you can meet and have a chat with them elsewhere in the threads.

The Morning! thread is always a great place for a chat on absolutely any topic.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2336 comments Hi, Karen (we Karens seem to be multiplying on here)

Love the sound of your work, just my sort of book so looking forward to reading them.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments I've been nourished by Steve Robinson's books, so I've downloaded a sample of yours. Sounds interesting.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Karen - I've also downloaded a sample. Steve Robinson has got many in this group interested in gealogical books!

:0)

message 6: by Karen (last edited Oct 01, 2012 01:52PM) (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Hi Everyone,
What a great welcome! I hope you all enjoy your samples. Please let me know what you think.
Best wishes,
Karen Charlton

P.S. I'm also a big fan of Steve Robinson and have just reviewed 'In the Blood' on my website: www.karencharlton.com

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Oh dear. I have just found out that because of a technical hitch, it will be another 6 weeks before the paperback joins the eBook edition of 'Seeking Our eagle' on amazon.... :(

Never mind, at least the eBook is out there. :)

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments Hi Karen!

Crikey, I only just found you here and your thread has been live for 11 days!

A very warm welcome. :o)

How far into your new book are you?

message 9: by Karen (last edited Oct 06, 2012 12:14PM) (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Thanks, Steve.

Books two ('Seeking Our Eagle') and three ('The Missing Heiress') are about to be launched on the world.... :)

Book Four - the follow up to 'Catching the Eagle' - is at an early stage. The research into the historical background is intensive. I've a huge pile of books to wade through for this one; the glossary will be lengthy.

However, I do have a working title which will give some clues about what happened next to my Regency main character, Jamie Charlton: 'Taking the King's Shilling.'

I'm sure that this won't require much imagination...the only question is: how the hell did he avoid transportation to Botany Bay and end up Wellington's army?

Watch this space, folks - it is all based on a true story....

message 10: by Karen (last edited Nov 16, 2012 10:46AM) (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Win a signed copy of
THE MISSING HEIRESS
(Published: 6th December 2012)

To celebrate the launch of my latest novel, 'The Missing Heiress', I am running a promotional competition on my website.

Simply read the extract of 'The Missing Heiress' posted on the Books Page of my website.

Then answer the following question in the form provided - and you could be the lucky winner of a signed hardback copy of my latest novel.

Question: 'What is the name of the thief arrested by Constable Woods at the Whitechapel Toll Gate?'

The competition closes on December 31st and the winner will be announced in January.

Check out the home page of my website for full details:

www.karencharlton.com

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments 'The Missing Heiress' podcast has now been posted on the home page of my website. Click on the link to hear a woman with a strong Northern accent talking about her new novel. Is that really how I sound? (Blush)

The Hardback and eBooks are published next Thursday (6th December.)

www.karencharlton.com

The Missing Heiress

The Missing Heiress by Karen Charlton

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments I've got to check this out, by 'eck!

message 13: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments Brilliant Karen. I'd run a mile from that sort of thing. I think I'll become a elusive-reclusive! I really don't like my recorded voice and you did radio! I watch your video again. I must do one of those. Ray Winstone lives down the road from me and I think he'd be great for DI Jack Fable in my new book. I might try to slip him a bit of a script next time I see him in the local.

I hope you have a wonderful new book launch. We'll chat more before then though of course.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Thanks Steve!

I received my first copies of 'The Missing Heiress' last night and feel very excited. It is slimmer than my first novel because 'Heiress' is only 86,000 words but it looked and felt great.

In fact it even SMELT great. :) Lovely smooth white pages. Publication day next Thursday (6th) - including the eBook. I just hope that the readers like the novel as much as I do. (Fingers crossed!)

message 15: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments Cue Irene Cara - What a feeling! I bet you're still high from the scent of those pages, Karen. Special moments...

Thursday, the 6th. Right. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Thanks Steve!

'The View from Here' online literary magazine has published my article on 'The Frustrations of Plotting Crime Fiction.'

If you are interested in writing crime fiction, or who just wants to know how I wrote 'The Missing Heiress,' then please feel free to check it out... oh, and please leave a comment on the page.

http://www.viewfromheremagazine.com/

message 17: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments Great article, Karen. Lots of top tips. I'm off to Tweet it now. :o) Only three days to launch! Bet you're excited!

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments ON THE EVE OF PUBLICATION...(eBook available tomorrow)

My publisher Knox Robinson Publishing has now released my FREE short story about Detective Stephen Lavender and Constable Woods, called: 'The Mystery of the Skelton Diamonds.'

London 1808: The famous Skelton diamonds are stolen from a locked jewellery box and Detective Stephen Lavender is summoned to investigate the theft. Bow Street's finest detective and his loyal constable, Ned Woods, must now tread a delicate path down the seedy back streets of the crime-laden Capital and through the opulent drawing room of an influential Regency politician in their attempt to bring the real thief to justice.
You can download it for free from this link.

http://www.knoxrobinsonpublishing.com...

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments So, come on Karen. Rate your excitement on a scale of 1-100.

I checked out the link and the whereabouts of your your free book wasn't immediately obvious. Is this the one?

Are you on Twitter? I can't find you.

message 20: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments It's okay. I found it on your website. It was probably just me anyway. I'm sure it was right under my eyes.

The free book.

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Thanks for sorting me out, Steve. (Never the techno-competent at this end... LOL)

Excitement? Probably at about 8.5 out of ten. I'll peak at 11/10 at bed time and then won't be able to sleep all night. LOL

I've just popped back on here to announce that I'd just uploaded your Interview onto the Guest Blog on my website. :)

If anyone is interested in my interview with the very talented Steve Robinson, writer of excellent Genealogical Crime Mysteries, here the guest blog page of my website:

http://www.karencharlton.com/guest-bl...

Have a great evening everyone - and don't forget to buy 'The Missing Heiress' tomorrow!

Only five hours to go till 'The Missing Heiress' is published - I can hardly wait. :)

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments Happy book launch day, Karen! :o)

message 23: by Karen (last edited Dec 06, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Thank you, Steve.:)

'The Missing Heiress' is now available in hardback and eBook format.
Please follow this link to the kindle bookstore:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Missing-Heire...

Northumberland, November 1809: A menacing figure stalks women through Hareshaw Woods and a beautiful, young heiress disappears from her locked bedchamber.

The townsfolk cry 'witchcraft' and the local constabulary are baffled. Helen Carnaby's worried uncle sends for help from Bow Street magistrates' court in London. Detective Stephen Lavender and Constable Woods now face their toughest and most dangerous assignment.

Convinced, at first, this is just a simple case of a young woman who has eloped with her lover, Lavender and Woods are alarmed to discover a sinister world of madness, violence and secrets lurking behind the heavy oak door of the ancient pele tower at Linn Hagh. Why did Helen Carnaby flee on that wintry October night? How did she get out of her locked bed chamber? And where is she now?

Hindered by Helen's uncooperative siblings, distracted by gypsies, rebellious farmers, highwaymen and an attractive and feisty Spanish senora, Helen Carnaby's disappearance is to prove one of the most perplexing mysteries of Lavender's career.

Set in the beautiful market town of Bellingham, Lavender and Woods eventually strip away the facade and discover the grim truth and stark evil which lies behind the closed door of a respectable family home.

'The Missing Heiress' is the first in a series of Regency mystery featuring Detective Stephen Lavender and Constable Woods

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments By gum, Ignite - that was fast! I'd just realised that I'd posted a null and void link and came back here and you'd already sorted it for me.

Thank you. :)

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments My latest article about 'Bow Street Runners and Early British Detectives' has now been published on the popular 'Shots: Crime and Thriller ezine.' Enjoy!

http://www.shotsmag.co.uk/feature_vie...

message 27: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (steverobinson) | 2930 comments Excellent article Karen. I just tweeted about it. Should be of great interest to genealogy followers. Happy Christmas Eve!

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments The literary blog tour continues...

Best-selling crime fiction author, Keith Houghton, interviewed me on his website: Writing Can Be Murder
Please feel free to share/comment as you feel fit.

http://keithhoughton.com/author-inter...

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Last but not least...the final stop on the literary blog tour....
J. Sydney Jones, author of the acclaimed 'Viennese Mystery' series, interviewed me on his blog, 'Scene of the Crime,' which focuses on mysteries and thrillers with spirit of place.
Please read and enjoy - oh, and don't forget to leave a comment. :)

http://jsydneyjones.wordpress.com/201...

The Missing Heiress by Karen Charlton

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments I have just had a short 'flash fiction' story published on the blog of Australian writer, Suzanna Burke.

http://sooozsaysstuff.blogspot.co.uk/...

'February 1809' is an (edited) extract from a short story I wrote for my publisher. If you enjoy it, you may be interested to know that the full short story (also entitled: 'February 1809') is available to read FREE on the Knox Robinson Publishing website.

Originally written to promote my debut novel, 'Catching the Eagle' this story introduces the main characters and the background to the plot.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments I've just had the pleasure of interviewing crime thriller writer, Keith Houghton, on my guest website. He's hilarious. Please feel free to check out his interview and share as you will - oh, and please leave a comment if you think fit. :)

http://www.karencharlton.com/guest-in...

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments I’m delighted to announce my new online venture, a literary consultancy: FAMELTON WRITING SERVICES.

www.fameltonwritingservices.com

Famelton is run by myself and a successful group of published writers. Our aim is to help aspiring authors with manuscript assessment, editing and proof reading. I have worked with Jill Boulton, Kristin Gleeson and Jane G. Harlond for over a year and we have now decided to extend our service to the international community.

Through our new website we can offer professional, in-depth editorial advice and assessment to anyone writing in the English language, anywhere in the world. We read manuscripts and supporting documents as a publisher would and provide clients with an honest critique about the marketability, structure and style of their writing.

To read more about the services we offer and the fees we charge please follow this link.

We can also be found on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/FameltonWriti...

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments I've just had the pleasure of interviewing crime thriller writer, J. Sydney Jones, on my guest website. Please enjoy and feel free to share as you will...

http://www.karencharlton.com/guest-in...

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Famelton Writing Services is currently offering a £10 refund to all clients who provide us with an endorsement (a couple of paragraphs) to use for publicity purposes. This offer applies to all the services we offer.

The webpage and Facebook links are below.

https://www.facebook.com/FameltonWrit...

message 35: by Karen (last edited May 08, 2013 03:18AM) (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments THE MISSING HEIRESS

'The Missing Heiress' is now out in paperback in the UK and is available from amazon.co.uk
Price: £12.99

Alternatively, everyone (including Non-UK fans) can buy the book from The Book Depository for 10% off the RRP: £11.66
The Book Depository offers Free Worldwide delivery.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Missi... The Missing Heiress by Karen Charlton

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments I have just discovered that I am featured, along with my books, in the June edition of 'Family Tree' genealogical magazine. In 'Asking the Author' I give advice about how to write and promote books based on the lives of our ancestors.

These are quotes from a longer article I wrote for the magazine. If you are interested, the full article can be read on the 'Family Tree' blog page:
http://family-tree.co.uk/category/blog/

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments THE HEIRESS OF LINN HAGH

Now revamped, retitled and repriced!
The eBook and paperback of 'The Heiress of Linn Hagh' are now published by
Famelton Publishing
and are available on amazon for
£2.04/$2.99

Buy it on amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heiress-Linn-...

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments 'worthy of Agatha Christie'

THE HEIRESS OF LINN HAGH by Karen Charlton (The First Detective Lavender Mystery)

EBook now reduced to 99 cents/ 75p
Please share.

http://www.amazon.com/Heiress-Linn-Ha...The Heiress of Linn Hagh: The First Detective Lavender Mystery

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, I've just bought it. Here is a UK link though..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Heiress-L...

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments Thanks Karen! (For both buying the novel and for the UK link.) I hope you enjoy it.

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments CATCHING THE EAGLE

Reduced to 75 pence for 24 hours!

"Told with gritty realism, ‘Catching The Eagle’ is a suspense-filled page-turner" - The Daily Mail

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catching-Eagl...

Catching the Eagle by Karen Charlton

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen Charlton | 55 comments 'The Heiress of Linn Hagh' by Karen Charlton is
REDUCED THIS WEEK
to 99 cents/ 77 pence.
Soon to be taken over by Amazon Publishing, this is the first in the Detective Lavender Series of Mysteries.

The Heiress of Linn Hagh

Northumberland, November 1809: A menacing figure stalks women through Hareshaw Woods and a beautiful, young heiress disappears from her locked bedchamber at Linn Hagh.

The townsfolk cry 'witchcraft' and the local constabulary are baffled.

Fearing for her safety, Helen Carnaby's worried uncle sends out for help from Bow Street magistrates' court in London. Detective Stephen Lavender and Constable Woods now face their toughest and most dangerous case. The servants and the local gypsies won’t speak to them, Helen’s siblings are sly and uncooperative and the sullen local farmers are about to take the law into their own hands.

Isolated in this beautiful but remote community, Lavender and Woods find themselves trapped in the middle of a simmering feud and are alarmed to discover a sinister world of madness and violence lurking behind the heavy oak door of the ancient pele tower at Linn Hagh. Helen Carnaby's disappearance is to prove one of the most perplexing mysteries of Lavender's career.

Why did she flee on that wintry October night? How did she get out of her locked bed chamber? And where is she now?

The Heiress of Linn Hagh (The Detective Lavender Mysteries, #1) by Karen Charlton